Help Choosing our Girls Getaway Cruise!

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

My friend and I have decided to take a girls getaway cruise this summer. She may be bringing one of her friends from home, who is around 40 and the both of us will be 30 for the cruise. (We live in different states. I'm in Fl). Anyway, we have narrowed it down to 2 cruises - both 4 nights. My friend has never been on a cruise before so its all new to her. We will be getting an inside cabin regardless of the cruise we choose, to save some money.

Cruise #1 is out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Grandeur of the seas. It stops at Key West and Cozumel and has one day at sea. I LOVE Key West and have never been to cozumel.

Cruise #2 is out of Port Canaveral on the Monarch of the Seas. It goes to Coco Cay, Nassau and has 1 day at sea. I've never been to either ports.

I am really ok doing either one, although I'm sort of leaning towards the western caribbean cruise for the reasons that I am more interested in the ports and believe it is a slightly larger, newer ship. However, the bahamas cruise is cheaper which may appeal to my friend who is always trying to save some money.

But I'd love some thoughts on what cruise you would choose. I've never sailed with Royal Caribbean or stayed in an inside cabin so any info would be great. Thanks!

*Shannon

Thanks for the quick replies. I love the key lime pie on a stick too! I think there would be more to do and see on that cruise, especially since she has never been to any of these places.

So how exactly do I convince her this is the better option?

My mom lives about an hour south of me, and 20 minutes from port everglades and she has graciously offered to let us stay at her house the night before so that would cut hotel costs for that night and potentially the night we get back. Plus the flights for her coming into Ft. Laud are cheaper than any of the other airports in Florida. Which to me makes the added cruise cost worth it. It's still a decent price, I think. It comes out to $544 per person for the 2 of us, with taxes and fees, etc. The Bahamas cruise was quoted as $431 with taxes, etc.

If you look at my siggy you'll see I have done alot of the 3-4 nighters on both Enchantment is a sister ship to Grandeur and Majesty is almost identical to Monarch.

My vote is 100% Grandeur! I've never sailed her but her sister ship Enchantment is my my favorite ship!! I'm also from Fort Lauderdale so I am a little biased on ports. I just think Fort Lauderdale is just a great place to be, alot more down to earth, more fun cool locals who arn't stuck up and less expensive then Miami.

Grandeur is bigger then Majesty and if she's anything like Enchantment (I know Enchantment was lengthening to add Boleros and the Solarium and staterooms, but even minus the lengthening I still think she's so much better) you will LOVE her. I love the Key west, Cozumel itinerary as well.

To me this would never even be a 2nd thought even if I lived in Orlando. Grandeur with a Key West, Cozumel itinerary would win hands down!

The pub crawl excursion through RCC in Key West is great. I've done it twice now and I like Cozumel alot better then Nassau. Ive done Playa Mia, Fury Catamaran Snorkeling and Beach Break, a day in downtown San Miguel and this upcomming trip I'm trying out Mr. Sanchos for their tequila tasting seminar and horseback riding. The only two things that I like doing in Nassau was a shark snorkle I booked through stuarts cove and I saw the aquarium (the Dig) and walked around Atlantis.

I love Coco Cay, but I understand that sometimes there are problems with tendering there (I've never had that problem--knock on wood!). You can find great beaches in Cozumel if you want to go to a beach, plus the other sightseeing options there are so much better than in Nassau. We always use Nassau as a ship day because we really don't think there's much to do there, which I think is a waste.

I would definitely go for the first one. Key West is so great and something you can do cheaply. As you know, you can just walk around and see things and have a great time. You don't feel pressured or scared or anything--it's so amazing! You can do your own bar crawl if you want.

Have a great time whatever you choose.

So how exactly do I convince her this is the better option?

For starters, you mentioned booking an Interior stateroom. The Majesty's are a very compact 119 s.f., while the Grandeur offers 140 to 146 s.f. depending on the Interior category that you choose. Particularly with possibly three of you, the difference is pretty significant. It's been a while, but I loved our Grandeur cruise, she's a beautiful ship, wonderful size, and I loved the decor/colors. The Grandeur also has the Solarium (age 16 and up) indoor/outdoor pool and lounge area. I also prefer your Option 1's itinerary, Key West is great and Cozumel is fun. (Speaking of Coco Cay tendering problems, our Grandeur sailing didn't make it there due to weather back in '96, and that does happen occasionally). Have a great cruise! :)

Wow! This is the most replies I've every gotten on a thread here! Thank you so much for your input. I am now sold on the Western Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I was leaning that way earlier, but now that is definitely the one I want to do. I'm hoping my friend is easily convinced. It really does seem like the better option....and a pub crawl in key west? Now THAT sounds fun!

I vote for Key West and Cozumel...hands down!! I just went on a girl's getaway cruise to Cozumel last month. We went on the Navigator of the Seas, out of Miami. There is so much more to do in Key West and Cozumel. Those are the fun stops!! Great for a girl's getaway cruise!

Have Fun!!

There is no choice here! Go on the Grandeur! Much nicer ship than Monarch and much nicer ports. In Cozumel....you might consider going to Nachi Cocom. Great private all inclusive beach. No crowds.....your own personal waiter.....great pool and hot tub. Worth every penny.....$49pp. I've been to Coz many, many times.....and I won't go anywhere else!

Good news!

My friend responded to my emails - finally - and she is leaning towards the key west/cozumel itinerary! It also looks as though we will be able to get a large oceanview cabin for the same price as our inside cabin, a resident discount I think. Thanks for your replies! This itinerary definitely seems more "us".

Thanks to all of your replies and my awesome powers of persuasion...the Fort Lauderdale cruise to Key West/Cozumel has won! My friend officially has gotten approval on her time off, and the cruise (July 8th) should be booked by the end of the week!

Thanks to all of your replies and my awesome powers of persuasion...the Fort Lauderdale cruise to Key West/Cozumel has won! My friend officially has gotten approval on her time off, and the cruise (July 8th) should be booked by the end of the week!

Waste no time in booking! Resident discounts come and go quickly and without warning! Once booked, be sure to watch for price drops!!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

A~

I'm also taking Grandeur of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and Cozumel on a girls weekend. I'll be heading out June 10--I'll be sure to write a review, as well.

My sister has cruised to Cozumel with Carnival and to Nassau and Coco Cay with RCCL, and preferred Cozumel. I've heard many great reviews on Key West, as well!

What is the cancellation policy? She said she should know by the end of the week, and since her time off was approved, I'm not quite sure what is holding her up, but if I booked it say, tonight or tomorrow, how long do I have to cancel without penalty?

What is the cancellation policy? She said she should know by the end of the week, and since her time off was approved, I'm not quite sure what is holding her up, but if I booked it say, tonight or tomorrow, how long do I have to cancel without penalty?

To obtain your deposit back in full, you can cancel anytime before your Final payment date. The only penalty would be if your TA has a cancellation fee. As apk1389 suggested, place a courtesy hold for now, and as just4kixx said "watch for price drops." If you are eligible for a lower rate and it is offered before Final payment, your cc will be credited the difference. If it occurs after Final, Royal Caribbean gives you an OBC. :)

Archived