Getting bumped from AFT FV cabins?

Dharma517

We are currently booked in a corner AFT FV cabin (2 people). The cruise does not appear to be full (although I am not really sure how to check that). It has had several price reductions. We are booked with an actual cabin number and not a guarantee. So my question is if they were going to bump us would it be to a suite and when would it occur by? I already have my Xpress passes printed and am fully checked in on line for our May 9th cruise. Do they wait until you get to the port?

I did have a note put in that we do not wish to be upgraded for whatever that is worth.

Thanks!

Jenn

I would think they would let you know ahead of time if they were going to bump you since you already have an assigned cabin.

We are booked in a FV guarantee. I just transferred our booking to a TA to get OBC in the way of gratuities paid. The TA couldn't figure out how 2 people got assigned to a FV since they are normally for families of 4-5 people. Anyway, the TA told me that if I transferred the reservation to her, they would not bump me. I hope so because we really wanted the aft balcony -- originally we were booked in a C1, but the price for the FV guarantee was too good to be true.

Dharma, these FV cabins pose a bunch of dilemmas.

Obviously, they are nice cabins with plenty or room etc. It would be silly for them to go to sail empty. So, presumably the ship will let you book them with the understanding that you will be bumped if a qualifying family wants to book it.

On the surface, that seems fair enough. But, the problem is that maybe there is a family out there who would like to go on that cruise. They look at the website and find that all the FVs are booked. They may not know they can bump someone, don't even try to book it, and they don't go on that cruise.

I wish the policy was that folks would book other cabins and then be waitlisted for the FVs if they become available.

Anyway, I think it is wrong to expect to be upgraded to a suite-if that was the way things were done, people would try to book a FV with the hope they would get such an upgrade all the time. That would be rewarding someone for booking something they didn't qualify for to begin with.

If you get bumped, I think the fair outcome is simply to move you to a cabin in the same category or as near as possible. Maybe even a downgrade with a refund of the price difference. This is a far different scenario than if you were in a regular balcony cabin and they wanted it for some reason or other and gave you a concierge class or suite as just compensation. In this case, you wouldn't merit compensation as you would not be wronged.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We are currently booked in a corner AFT FV cabin (2 people). The cruise does not appear to be full (although I am not really sure how to check that). It has had several price reductions. We are booked with an actual cabin number and not a guarantee. So my question is if they were going to bump us would it be to a suite and when would it occur by?...

Why would you even think you might be bumped? We're in an Aft FV for 2 as well - booked a specific cabin and not a "guarantee". We booked after the cruise line decided to sell the booking to parties of 2 and lowered the price - which was after the final payment date. While I can understand why they initially hold these for larger groups it would seem to me that after open it for sale to all that there would be no turning back. If someone wants a certain cabin class before it is sold out then they should book early enough to get it.

... presumably the ship will let you book them with the understanding that you will be bumped if a qualifying family wants to book it....l

Hi Bob! There was no such "understanding" when we booked (or should I say switched our booking to an FV) and no special conditions were given at the time we booked. I've never heard of them bumping anyone for this reason after deciding to release it for booking to a party of 2.

We (two) have had corner FV's on M class five times. Booked as far out as six months and as late as just before final payment date. These all were either transatlantics or fourteen night Hawaii runs. Always had a specific cabin. Some booked directly with Celebrity, some with an online agency. We were never advised of a possibility of being bumped, nor were we ever bumped.

Its strange.. We are a family of 4 and we have never been able to get an FV..even booking 12+ months in advance... Even in non peak family sailing times.

Oh well.. we just have to book a suite when that happens.;)

I love the bump threads becuse we have never gotten bumped (never booked a Guarantee either) but trying to put rhyme and reason to when it does occur... I have visions of the hotel director and a dart board for some reason. :)

I have a corner FV booked for an upcoming cruise, and I called Celebrity to inquire about the bump possibility. For what it's worth, I was told that since I have a specific room, there is nothing to worry about. He said that Celebrity opens up the FV and handicap cabins within 30 (?) days of sailing. The thought being that families and handicap passengers have had time to reserve a room, but economics become a factor as sailing date approaches.

The person at X that was on the call with me and my TA (long story..lol) said I could get bumped since these cabins are really for parties of 5. I told her I was able to book it on my own on their website with only 2 people. This cruise is for the beginning of May so Final payment date has already passed.

As for expections if I get bumped I just read on this board it might be a suite I don't myself expect it. I did change from a CC room to this room and paid additional for it.

Jenn

Why would you even think you might be bumped? We're in an Aft FV for 2 as well - booked a specific cabin and not a "guarantee". We booked after the cruise line decided to sell the booking to parties of 2 and lowered the price - which was after the final payment date. While I can understand why they initially hold these for larger groups it would seem to me that after open it for sale to all that there would be no turning back. If someone wants a certain cabin class before it is sold out then they should book early enough to get it.

Hi Bob! There was no such "understanding" when we booked (or should I say switched our booking to an FV) and no special conditions were given at the time we booked. I've never heard of them bumping anyone for this reason after deciding to release it for booking to a party of 2.

Its strange.. We are a family of 4 and we have never been able to get an FV..even booking 12+ months in advance... Even in non peak family sailing times....

Just in case you didn't know: I don't think these come up on Celebrity's web site until they are released to the general public for any size group. Instead you have to request them over the phone or through a TA. I also think they initially hold these for groups of 5 or more, although it would sure make sense to me that they'd allow you to book with a family of 4. So it might be worth checking out with a good TA that does a lot of work with Celebrity.

Archived