Amsterdam -- Grand Hotel Amrath -- any opinions?

2serendip

We're going to be in Amsterdam for a few nights before our cruise, and I'm exploring hotel options. This one looks like an interesting and well-located one in the central district. Have any of you stayed here, and would you recommend it? Thanks.

Amrath Hotel opened a few years ago and I have heard good reports about it. It was once a bulding owned and used by a shipcompany. Totally renovated etc, but some details are still nicely visible.

It is situated between Centraal Station and the cruiseterminal. However it isnot really a central location re shopping, museums etc. You need to take a tram to get there. The hotel is in a district with offices and some appartments, also restaurants a bit farther away.

Like Movenpick Hotel at the cruiseterminal both are great pre or postcruise.

Thank you for your reply, Ine. We've booked the Amrath because it looks so interesting, but I'm a little concerned about location now. We'll be there for 4 nights, and we plan to spend most of our time exploring Amsterdam, its museums especially, with a lot of walking and sightseeing. Is the tram easy to use? Are the restaurants within walking distance (and would you recommend any of them)?

Would the Golden Tulip in central Amsterdam be a better choice? Thanks, Lynn

This link gives what I recently posted re Restaurants in Amsterdam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1144228

Trams are easy to use, in your case you can use 25 and 26. Check this link for details, maps, rates and more information:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

If you want to be closer to more restaurants you might opt for another hotel, but if you donot mind to use a tram you will be fine.

Thank you for your reply, Ine. We've booked the Amrath because it looks so interesting, but I'm a little concerned about location now. We'll be there for 4 nights, and we plan to spend most of our time exploring Amsterdam, its museums especially, with a lot of walking and sightseeing. Is the tram easy to use? Are the restaurants within walking distance (and would you recommend any of them)?

Would the Golden Tulip in central Amsterdam be a better choice? Thanks, Lynn

The Amrath is considered one of Amsterdams top hotels. Golden Tulip certainly is not in the same league, would not recommend it. Amsterdam is very compact, you can walk everywhere or take the tram. The concierge will be a great help recommending a good restaurant, I know most of the restaurants Ine mentions, we also sent guests from the hotels I worked at there.

We have booked the Amrath for 2 nights at the end of May before our cruise. We got a really good rate on Hotwire which was the main reason we choose this hotel. It also gets really good reviews on tripadvisor. The breakfast sounds pricey so we will eat elsewhere. However, they apparently have a free mini-bar. I have looked up transportation and it should not be too difficult as the hotel is near the Central Station. It is also close to the cruise terminal. The hotel is rated 5* and looks very nice. We are looking forward to our stay here and will post a review when we get back.

Archived