opening up divider between balconies

Joie

Can we or can we not have the divider open between our contecting balcony cabins on the Liberty? We have read that they can and can not.......anyone done this ?

Yes, you can ask that the divider be opened. We've done it on both the Liberty & the Legend.

Can we or can we not have the divider open between our contecting balcony cabins on the Liberty? We have read that they can and can not.......anyone done this ?

We had our divider opened on the Pride in January. One person from each cabin has to go down to the Purser's Desk and fill out a form with signature. They will then open the divider at the earliest opportunity. You can't just ask your Steward or call down. Have to do it in person. It was nice to have it opened and be able to enjoy the balcony with our friends in the adjoining stateroom.

We just got off the Carnival Dream and prior to our cruise the printed info stated that our dividers could not be opened. Host Mach confirmed that. When we got on the ship we just asked our room steward to open the divider and he did. The other couple did not ask him and we did not have to sign anything. So no matter what you find out just ask and see what happens.

We had our divider opened on the Pride in January. One person from each cabin has to go down to the Purser's Desk and fill out a form with signature. They will then open the divider at the earliest opportunity. You can't just ask your Steward or call down. Have to do it in person. It was nice to have it opened and be able to enjoy the balcony with our friends in the adjoining stateroom.

Yes, you have to do that on Spirit class ships, but the Liberty is a Conquest class & I don't recall having to sign up onthe Liberty. We DID have to sign up at Guest Services for the Legend though, as it is a Spirit class, and the dividers open differently.

OP, to be safe, you can ask both your room steward (we did as soon as we saw him the first day), and the guest services desk. Then you're covered either way. ;)

When we were on the Freedom we asked our room steward to open it and when we returned it was open. but we had to have him shut it again because it blocked our door when we tried to go out and visit with my brother so maybe it depends what the door will block if they opend it or not.

thanks for the info.

I was told before that it could NOT be done as it blocks windows or the other balcony door? I knew I had heard that others had done this.....thanks again.

Depending on where your door is located it can block it when the divider is opened........but they can unlock it for you so your can pass back and forth........

We have 6 rooms in a row on the Victory. Will we be able to open all of them?

This would be a definite no - they can only have so many open on each deck due to wind - it would like a wind funnel and more than likely pose a danger opening the balcony doors. The most that they would open for us was 3 - I know that sometimes if you ask the steward he would do it but I think maintenance crew might have an issue with it. Make sure you ask though as anything can happen and does. Just be very careful with the balcony doors we had one of our crew almost lose a hand due to suction. Good luck

When we were on the Freedom last year we had 6 rooms in a row and we did get all the dividers opened. The problem was that some of the dividers blocked the doors from being opened. So it just depends where the divider goes when opened.

when we sailed on the Legend in 2008 our friends had the cabin next to us. My friend and I went down to the purser's desk, both signed a sheet saying we BOTH wanted the balcony divider opened and a few hours later someone came up and opened it for us. don't know about anyother ships thus far, though.

Part of the confusion results from differences in different classes of the ships. Spirit class ship dividers open to the balcony railing. Conquest class ships open to the ship.

Adjoining cabins are reverse plans of each other, resulting in either windows or doors being together. When a divider is opened on a Conquest class ship, it will block either 2/3 of a window, or one cabin's balcony door.

The divider hooks to the door frame above the door, so it is possible to reach out and unhook it, open the doors, go onto the balcony, and rehook the divider behind you. You need to be of average or above height and have arms that are "normal", not 6" in diameter, in order to accomplish this. (I'm 5'7", 200 lbs, and can get it done without problems. DW is 5'4" and cannot reach it.)

The proceedure on each ship seems to be different. On some ships both cabins must have someone at the Purser's desk to sign in order for it to be opened. On some ships, the room steward can have it done. I've called the Purser's desk and been told to call maintenance to have it opened. Just be sure to ask quickly, as there are some restrictions on how many dividers can be opened on a deck/side/ship.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Archived