Boston to New York

JimandPamm

My vote is Amtrak and taxi. ;)

I agree. If cost is an issue, look into BoltBus or MegaBus, but the train is much more confortable. Don't forget that Amtrak has Senior discounts, AAA discounts, etc., plus some other general discount codes that can knock $ off the fare.

We're cruising out of new york and also traveling from boston. We decided to go with the train out of South Station. I googled amtrak discount and found 20% off. Hope that helps a little. I'm never sure what links are allowed or not so pm me if you can't find the discount.

Now we're looking for a hotel room for the night before the cruise.

In addition to the aforementioned trains and buses, another option is to use Limoliner. This is an executive class bus service (2+1 leather seating, multiple television screens, wifi, hostess, snacks and beverages), and priced competitively with Amtrak at $69. The coaches depart from the Hilton in Back Bay, Boston, and arrive at the Hilton in midtown Manhattan, so if you're staying at either of these hotels this line would be especially convenient.

http://www.limoliner.com

I agree. If cost is an issue, look into BoltBus or MegaBus, but the train is much more confortable. Don't forget that Amtrak has Senior discounts, AAA discounts, etc., plus some other general discount codes that can knock $ off the fare.

Megabus definitely an option for a casual or weekend trip, but I don't know if it would work for cruisers with lots of luggage:

http://us.megabus.com/luggage-allowance.aspx the Megabus.com site says that luggage is limited to one peice, 50lbs or less, per traveler, and one peice of carry-on hand luggage (which needs to be small, since they have pretty much no luggage rack space on their multilevel/double decker buses).

Bolt Bus allows a second carry on and has more luggage rack space on their buses ( https://www.boltbus.com/faq.aspx ).

Not sure how well this would work for a cruiser; if one packs light it could save money (more $$$ for on board!), but many cruisers pack with more luggage than these limits allow too.

Amtrak has discounts for AAA members and also has generally lower prices if you book further in advance (they also seem to have lower fares now than a year or two ago for a lot of trips I've priced/booked in the Northeast Corridor lately); also, if you have lots of Continental OnePass miles AND have an Amtrak GuestRewards account too, you can transfer your miles into Amtrak GuestReward points in increments of 5,000 (I think a Boston-NYC Amtrak redemption is something like 3,000 points/miles) by calling the Continental OnePass service number...

Archived