San Juan Airport to Summit: Advice please re: purchasing wine to bring on board.

Crafty Fitzwilly

Hello,

We are taking a taxi from the San Juan Airport to the pier to board the Celebrity Summit. Our flight gets in at 1:40 p.m., the Summit is sailing at 8:30 p.m.

We would appreciate any advice on the best place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise - after we land in San Juan.

Should we ask the cab driver to take us somewhere enroute to the pier (then put the two bottles of wine in our luggage), or would it make more sense to board the Summit first, then leave the ship (we're assuming that we can do that - ?) and find somewhere in San Juan to buy wine?

First time cruisers here, so we are complete novices.

Thank you for your help! :)

Hello,

We are taking a taxi from the San Juan Airport to the pier to board the Celebrity Summit. Our flight gets in at 1:40 p.m., the Summit is sailing at 8:30 p.m.

We would appreciate any advice on the best place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise - after we land in San Juan.

Should we ask the cab driver to take us somewhere enroute to the pier (then put the two bottles of wine in our luggage), or would it make more sense to board the Summit first, then leave the ship (we're assuming that we can do that - ?) and find somewhere in San Juan to buy wine?

First time cruisers here, so we are complete novices.

Thank you for your help! :)

There is a fairly well stocked liquor store right INSIDE the terminal where you check in for your cruise. We just put the wine in our carry-on bags and checked in without any problems whatsoever.

The wine might be a dollar or two more per bottle than you could find elsewhere, but it is SO convenient. The cruise terminal is not anywhere near stores, so it is going to cost you one way or another if you go elsewhere by cab to obtain your wine.

I was only looking for wine, so I can't tell you specifically what else is offered in the liquor store inside the terminal. I'm sure someone else on this board can tell you what else is for sale. We did find two very nice bottles of wine, though, at very fair prices.

There is a fairly well stocked liquor store right INSIDE the terminal where you check in for your cruise....

... We did find two very nice bottles of wine, though, at very fair prices.

Did they have a decent selection now? I seemed to recall, from several years ago, that they did not have that much of a selection there and was planning on asking the cab driver to stop at a grocery store en route from the airport. But if they've improved there selection at the pier store we might just head straight to the port. We're looking to pick up a couple bottles of champagne or cava.

After you pick up luggage, grab a porter(small tip) and have him take you to a cab. If it's busy, you'll bypass the long line of people waiting at the taxi stand!!! Don't know where to buy wine, I'd think the cabbie would stop somewhere for you.....good luck.....

Did they have a decent selection now? I seemed to recall, from several years ago, that they did not have that much of a selection there and was planning on asking the cab driver to stop at a grocery store en route from the airport. But if they've improved there selection at the pier store we might just head straight to the port. We're looking to pick up a couple bottles of champagne or cava.

We were there this past December (2009).

We were picking up wine for me to have in our cabin, and as I am not very demanding when it comes to wine, I was quite happy with our selections. I picked up an Italian Pinot Grigio, and a California Cab blend, I think. I didn't recognize either of the labels. It seems to me they were about $12-14 per bottle. There was a wide enough selection for my needs.

I can't say how big the selection was for wines above that price range. If you have a more sophisticated palate, you might want to stop elsewhere, if you know where you might find a broader selection.

If I had seen a nice cava, I would probably have picked it up, as that is one of my favourite casual wines. I always have a couple of bottles of Segura Viudas on ice, just in case ;).

We were picking up wine for me to have in our cabin, and as I am not very demanding when it comes to wine, I was quite happy with our selections. I picked up an Italian Pinot Grigio, and a California Cab blend, I think. I didn't recognize either of the labels. It seems to me they were about $12-14 per bottle. There was a wide enough selection for my needs.

I can't say how big the selection was for wines above that price range. If you have a more sophisticated palate, you might want to stop elsewhere, if you know where you might find a broader selection.

Ditto! If there is a liqour store in San Juan, I think we visited it! And none of them had a good selection. We finally found a Sam's Club, but it was WAY out of town toward Fajardo. Had we realized that perfectly acceptable wine was available right in the departure area, we would have saved TONS of time and effort.

The selection was not what we are accustomed to, but then again, we do not have very discriminating taste in either food or wine. A decent wine is good enough for us. We had one glass on our balcony before dinner and then ordered a bottle with dinner each night or two.

...If I had seen a nice cava, I would probably have picked it up, as that is one of my favourite casual wines. I always have a couple of bottles of Segura Viudas on ice, just in case ;).

Sounds like we might need to stop on the way as we're after Champagne or Cava not still wines.

we just got home from our cruise out of San Juan. We did precruise hotel stay so that night we walked the streets looking for wine. we found our wine right near the green in Old San Juan and what we pay $9 here in Ct. would have cost us $25 so we passed on it.

The next morning we called a taxi to take us to the ship and asked him to stop at a liquor store. He knew exactly where to go and we ended up buying our wine for $17 a bottle, still higher than home but cheaper than the first store. The taxi fare to the pier is a set rate so he didn't charge anymore for the stop and it only took a few minutes to purchase the bottles. When we got to the terminal I was upset to see they had a liquor store BUT they didnot have that great a selection of wines. We like white zinfandel and they had small bottles of red wines and expensive chardonnay. SO in the end we did good. By the way, you buy 2 bottles and have your partner carry them on. Then let others walk ahead of you. Then you walk on with your 2 bottles. You don't have to hide them. They will not stop you for bringing in wine and you can bring in the biggest bottles you can find. Our particular wine has a twist off cap but you can always ask your room steward and they will get you a wine opener. The only thing I didn't like was the bags that the liquor store put the wine bottles in wasn't the strongest so if you can bring along some type of heavier carry on bag then you are all set. Enjoy your cruise.

There is also a duty free liquor store in the airport you will pass. You might stop in there and check their selection out.

Here's a link to the duty free liquor store prices on a website for San Juan that is very informative.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-juan-cruise-pier-duty-free/

Wow - thanks for the link.

As for buying at the airport: They apparently require a boarding pass to sell to you so you can not buy on the way out. Also if your boarding pass shows a US destination then all they can sell you is Puerto Rican Rum - at least that is what they told me.

Archived