iphone help I received

bcirish

I was new to my iphone when I took it internationally - I spent quite a long time verifying use restrictions and roaming charges for international usage using phone data and texting - I too had heard about the huge roaming charges and ship charges for using their access and no one knows before you get home. After my first conversation , the next day I called and talked to someone else to verify that I was getting the same info- which for the most part was true. Two things - for data reset you info so you know how much you have used in your package - it goes fast and when in doubt put the phone in airplane mode and ask before joining a phone service- they also gave me a list of those to use in the various countries we visited. Below is the information they shared with me which proved invaluable- it is a bit long though. Good luck - I had no surprises when I got home.

How do I place an international call while in the U.S. or when traveling internationally?

All international calls can be placed using the “+”, country code, and phone number.

Example: Hold the 0 (zero) key, once the “+” sign appears; enter the country code and then the phone number. If you cannot access the “+” sign using the 0 (zero) key, please refer to your device manufacturer’s instructions on how to utilize the “+” sign.

Example: Call to Italy from the United States: Dial + 39 (Country Code) 06 (City Code = Rome) 662 5555.

Example: Calling the U.S. from France: Dial + 1(Country Code), 561.123.4567 (area code + phone number) to call back to the U.S.

Can I use my phone outside of the U.S.?

If you have an international roaming feature on your account, you can roam in countries where AT&T has established roaming agreements and has commercially launched service. Use our Wireless Travel Guide to find out if your device works where you need it. The travel guide can be found at the following Web address: http://att.com/travelguide.

How much does it cost to use my phone while traveling outside of the U.S?

AT&T World offers cost-effective packages to meet your needs. Visit the following website to learn more about World Packages: http://att.com/worldpackages.

How much does it cost to use data while traveling outside of the U.S.?

Pay-per-use data rates when roaming internationally are $.015/KB in Canada and $.0195/KB in all other countries.

SMS is $.50 to send; MMS is $1.30 to send (home rates apply to receipt of SMS/MMS).

International PDA, iPhone and Data Connect plans offering discounted data rates are available for customers traveling internationally.

Example: Using a Sierra Wireless 875 Aircard in your laptop: If you have a domestic Data Connect Unlimited package on your account and the card is used both domestically and internationally during a given month, charges are estimated to be as follows:

Location of Usage

Total MB Usage

Price for Usage

Total Cost

Business travel in the U.S.

300 MB for browsing/e-mail

Unlimited

$59.99 standard monthly charge for

Data Connect Unlimited.

Two week vacation in Italy

20 MB for browsing/e-mail

$.0195/KB

$390 in per KB charges (20,000 KB x $.0195).

The charges for this example would be approximately $449.99 (excluding tax) because the Data Connect Unlimited package does not include international data roaming. The international data portion of the bill is charged at pay-per-use rates.

iPhone® Data Global Plans:

While using data on iPhone is unlimited within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, international data roaming can get expensive quickly. That is why AT&T has created four Data Global Plans for iPhones with more reasonable rates in over 65 countries*. There are four packages available:

$24.99 per month: 20MB Data Global Plan gives you 20MB of usage in over 65 countries.

$59.99 per month: 50MB Data Global Plan gives you 50MB of usage in over 65 countries.

$119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On* gives you 100MB of usage within over 65 countries.

$199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On* gives you 200MB of usage within over 65 countries.

*Available on the iPhone only. For a complete list of discounted countries go to att.com/dataconnectglobal, for plan details visit att.com/worldpackages for complete terms and conditions for all international data plans.

How can iPhone customers lower their data costs while roaming internationally?

Turn Data Roaming “OFF.”

Be sure to download and install the latest version of iPhone software from iTunes. By default the setting for international data roaming will be in the “OFF” position.

To turn data roaming “ON/OFF” tap on Settings-General-Network-Data Roaming.

Use Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels, and restaurants to browse the Web or check e-mail.

Turn Off Your iPhone “Auto-Check” Function for E-mail.

Data usage from e-mail can accrue quickly. Check e-mail manually using Wi-Fi instead of having e-mails downloaded to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check function, tap on: Settings - Fetch New Data and select manually.

Reset the Usage Tracker to Zero before you leave the U.S. by accessing the usage tracking in the general settings menu and select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage.

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on Settings-General-Usage-Reset

You can find these tips and other useful information by clicking on the following link:

Data Global Plans for iPhone - http://www.att.com/worldpackages

iPhone international traveling tips to help you keep control of data.

How do I send text messages to a U.S. phone while traveling internationally?

Sending a text message is simple. Just type a message of up to 160 characters using your keypad. Simply enter “+”, “1” (country code), area code and phone number.

Accessing text message mode varies by device and manufacturer. support tutorials page: http://www.att.com/devicesupport.

While traveling internationally, how do I send a text message to an international phone?

Simply enter the “+” sign, country code, and phone number (for example: +44.201 234 5678). Accessing text message mode varies by device and manufacturer. Should you need additional instructions, please visit our phone/device support tutorials page: http://www.att.com/devicesupport

How do I contact Customer Services for Troubleshooting?

When calling from outside of the U.S., +1-916-843-4685.

Calling within the U.S. 1-800-335-4685.

Quick Reference Guides:

For additional Helpful Tips on GSM Roaming, please visit http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-gsm-roaming.jsp.

Archived