Upgrading to an accessible cabin?

PartyAllDaTyme

What are the procedures and protocols involved in getting a handicap-accessible cabin that is not being booked by someone who needs it?

I'm not talking about selfishly booking an accessible cabin when I don't need one, thus preventing someone who needs one from being able to book one. Obviously, though, there are times when there are more of these cabins available than are needed by pax who require the extra room for wheelchair mobility and so on. What determines who gets them?

I am assuming you cannot request them when the bookings for a cruise first become available unless you can show a need for one. At what point does the cruiseline start allowing bookings by everybody? Do they fill these up with the GTY bookings? Do they upgrade pax in the same category? I would hate to think that if they release these cabins, say, a couple of weeks before the cruise that those who waited until the last minute to book get to gobble them up.

Anyone with any insight to share?

Celebrity opens them up after final payment.If you see it you can get it if you are fast.They will not keep a waiting list for handicapped people that need them and tell us when they become available.It all becomes a matter of luck from then on.

Celebrity opens them up after final payment.If you see it you can get it if you are fast.They will not keep a waiting list for handicapped people that need them and tell us when they become available.It all becomes a matter of luck from then on.

Thanks for the response. I'd still be a little concerned that I'm taking an accessible cabin away from someone who needs it, but if that's where Celebrity draws the line, so be it.

I just called Celebrity (suppose I could have done that in the first place, but it's more fun to do it here) to find out if there was a regular time when they released the unused accessibles, and was told that there is no specific time or date for this, It varies with each cruise, depending of how sales of those cabins are going and how sales overall are faring (no pun intended:rolleyes:). Celebrity CSRs are notorious for not having correct information, so I called again. This time the rep said the release date is usually about six weeks out, but that yes, it can vary. For Millie class ships (which I'm on), they very seldom have accessible rooms available.

Well, much as I'd like to get one, I'm not about to check individual cabin availability every few hours on the odd chance I can catch one, at least not until around six weeks out. Does anyone else have any feedback on their experience finding one of these? What's the farthest out from the sailing date you were able to switch?

I know for a fact, that at anytime prior to embarkation, Celebrity will bump a person from a handicapped room if they do not require it, and people coming on the cruise with mobility problems require it. It only makes sense. We have never, nor would we consider booking a handicapped stateroom, however this was provided for our son on one occasion, and when we got to the lounge for boarding he was reassigned. I do know that this has happened to two other couples that we had as dinner companions also.

I can share experience we had on Princess. We had Balcony guarantee and got assigned

wonderful, huuuuge handicapped room in the highest balcony category, but our TA said that if the cruiseline will need this room for a handycap person, we will have to give it up, but will get the next up grade - which will be minisuite. Lucky, they did not need it and we enjoyed that wonderful room and huge balcony. I never had so much closet space and such a big bathroom.... It was fantastic.

I know for a fact, that at anytime prior to embarkation, Celebrity will bump a person from a handicapped room if they do not require it, and people coming on the cruise with mobility problems require it. It only makes sense. We have never, nor would we consider booking a handicapped stateroom, however this was provided for our son on one occasion, and when we got to the lounge for boarding he was reassigned. I do know that this has happened to two other couples that we had as dinner companions also.

Hmmm. I called Celebrity back to ask about this, and was informed, very emphatically, that they do not do that. Once they free up the cabins (this time, I was told four to six weeks before sailing), they are no longer considered to be available only to those with mobility needs, and it would be problematic to play musical chairs with cabin assignments should someone wish to book when there are only a few rooms left. Possibly there were some other issues you weren't aware of?

Let me be clear-- I am not talking about booking an accessible cabin if there's a likelihood of someone who needs it not being able to get it. However, if it's going to be considered fair game at some point, I'm just as worthy (actually, more so, IMHO) as someone who waits until the last minute to book, or gets it by default because they booked a guarantee.

I can share experience we had on Princess. We had Balcony guarantee and got assigned

wonderful, huuuuge handicapped room in the highest balcony category, but our TA said that if the cruiseline will need this room for a handycap person, we will have to give it up, but will get the next up grade - which will be minisuite. Lucky, they did not need it and we enjoyed that wonderful room and huge balcony. I never had so much closet space and such a big bathroom.... It was fantastic.

If they do bump you, it would only make sense to upgrade you, but what if you don't like the upgrade? Well, with guarantee, you take what they give you anyway. Princess may do things differently than Celebrity. Still, this illustrates my point-- you went from a guarantee cabin to possibly a minisuite. If I'm willing to pay the additional for a top grade balcony, how come you end up getting it? It's because I don't speak up and say I want it!

I use a Walker & the normal cabin doors are a little narrow for it, so I would love a handicapped cabin. However, their locations are too far forward or otherwise in bad locations.

I was temporarily disabled for a time, handicap tag on the car mirror for parking spaces, all that. I was on crutches. I don't know if I would have qualified for an accessible stateroom, but I still would have left it for someone in a wheelchair or walker (at least, until the time they released it for everybody). Walkers and crutches should have priority claim on the accessibles!

First of all, I am disabled so you all know where I'm coming from.

To the poster who said they would give up their HC cabin if someone needed it, sorry but that's a total and completely false assumption.

Now, I need to dispel some myths on accessible cabins. If you book an HC cabin and you are not disabled, the cruise line will NOT remove you from that cabin even if a disabled person calls and tries to book one. Once a cabin is out of inventory, it's out of inventory, plain and simple, and there is absolutely no way for a booking agent from Celebrity or any travel agent to discover if every HC cabin is indeed occupied by a disabled person, or has been booked by some uncaring or selfish person who just wants the "wonderful extra space". So, if you book an HC cabin early on in the booking process, and you very nicely state that you'll give it up IF a disabled person needs it, you're going to be in that cabin and the disabled person who truly NEEDS that cabin will be out of luck and will not be able to cruise.

I have tried to book HC cabins months away from the actual cruise and they've all been taken. But what rankles me is when I see perfectly healthy persons coming out of the HC cabins and I know that they should not be in there. I have guts and I have approached persons coming out of HC cabins and I've asked them what their disability is to warrant an HC cabin and they've all pretty much said they don't have a disability, but like the larger cabin--and a majority of them admitted they booked their cabin way before final payment. Sorry, but that's unconscionable in my very humble opinion.

I'm not saying that the cruise lines should take a hit and never allow an HC cabin to be booked by an able bodied person. But what I am saying is that it angers me beyond belief that able bodied persons book those cabins months out, making it impossible for the ever-growing numbers of disabled to cruise. There are far too few HC cabins to being with, but when able bodied persons book them early on, you are taking away a disabled person's ability to enjoy a cruise vacation.

I know I'm on my high horse on this one, but I don't care. I've been disabled all my life and I try to be an advocate for disabled rights. There are times when I wish every able bodied person could spend a week in a wheelchair and discover the "joys" of being disabled. I'm sure if that happened, you would definitely think twice about doing things like early booking an HC cabin or parking in an HC space. Remember, some day you or one of your loved ones might become disabled and I certainly hope your cruising dreams aren't crushed because some thoughtless individuals booked the HC cabins and you couldn't cruise.

Thank You.

I think that in the past few months someone reported they were asked to give up their cabin while on board and actually did. I think he and his family were over run by mixed up charges among other things. I'm not sure if anyone else recalls this story and I don't remember if he was even ever thanked for his good graces.

This is the first time traveling on -X- for me & it was booked through a TA. On Carnival, I notified them ahead of time with an application that I used a walker, my booking & cabin #'s, etc. Do I go through the Special needs dept directly, or should my TA do it?:confused:

I booked while on board the Solstice in Jan for an April cruise,I told them I needed a handicapped room as I must use a walker in the cabin.She checked and had 6 available on deck 6 and 7,I was very surprised and gladly booked one. When we arrived home(2 days later) I had the booking transferred to our TA,when she called they told her none were available.After a lot of checking they found my reservation and verified the handicapped room.So they do hold them back and play games with them, why I don't know.That is why I said before luck has more to do with it than need. I still believe they should keep a waiting list of people that need them but Celebrity will not do that.That is really my only complaint about Celebrity.

To the poster who said they would give up their HC cabin if someone needed it, sorry but that's a total and completely false assumption.

Now, I need to dispel some myths on accessible cabins. If you book an HC cabin and you are not disabled, the cruise line will NOT remove you from that cabin even if a disabled person calls and tries to book one. Once a cabin is out of inventory, it's out of inventory, plain and simple, and there is absolutely no way for a booking agent from Celebrity or any travel agent to discover if every HC cabin is indeed occupied by a disabled person, or has been booked by some uncaring or selfish person who just wants the "wonderful extra space". So, if you book an HC cabin early on in the booking process, and you very nicely state that you'll give it up IF a disabled person needs it, you're going to be in that cabin and the disabled person who truly NEEDS that cabin will be out of luck and will not be able to cruise.

I have tried to book HC cabins months away from the actual cruise and they've all been taken. But what rankles me is when I see perfectly healthy persons coming out of the HC cabins and I know that they should not be in there. I have guts and I have approached persons coming out of HC cabins and I've asked them what their disability is to warrant an HC cabin and they've all pretty much said they don't have a disability, but like the larger cabin--and a majority of them admitted they booked their cabin way before final payment. Sorry, but that's unconscionable in my very humble opinion.

I'm not saying that the cruise lines should take a hit and never allow an HC cabin to be booked by an able bodied person. But what I am saying is that it angers me beyond belief that able bodied persons book those cabins months out, making it impossible for the ever-growing numbers of disabled to cruise. There are far too few HC cabins to being with, but when able bodied persons book them early on, you are taking away a disabled person's ability to enjoy a cruise vacation.

I know I'm on my high horse on this one, but I don't care. I've been disabled all my life and I try to be an advocate for disabled rights. There are times when I wish every able bodied person could spend a week in a wheelchair and discover the "joys" of being disabled. I'm sure if that happened, you would definitely think twice about doing things like early booking an HC cabin or parking in an HC space. Remember, some day you or one of your loved ones might become disabled and I certainly hope your cruising dreams aren't crushed because some thoughtless individuals booked the HC cabins and you couldn't cruise.

Thank You.

I've been disabled, albeit temporarily, so I do know where you're coming from.

I absolutely agree that an accessible cabin should be available to someone who requires it, and that there are too few cabins to begin with. The comment that it's seldom possible to change to an unbooked accessible cabin speaks to that. Again, I assumed that Celebrity (or any cruise line) would hold those back until they were reasonably certain they were not going to be booked otherwise, compromising with the logistics of making last-minute changes. I think releasing the cabins four to six weeks out from sailing is too far out, but if they're going to release them to anybody, then they're released, and it then becomes a question of who does get them.

I'm curious as to how the people that you mentioned that thoughtlessly booked an accessible cabin way before the final payment date were able to do it. Was it with X or some other cruise line? Another call to Celebrity (they've got to be getting tired of hearing from me) confirmed that a pax needs to provide documentation of their need before they will allow the booking, at least up until the time they release it to the general public.

In referring to "the poster who said they would give up their HC cabin if someone needed it", I assume you're referring to Isabella, who had a guarantee cabin. I'd point out that they did not request the cabin, with the qualification that they'd be willing to move, if asked, but were assigned that cabin and were told they's have to move if someone needed it. I'd be willing to take an accessible cabin on condition that if someone needs it later, I'd be bumped, but not if it would mean having to be bumped to an inside stateroom:eek:.

What I'm talking about is booking a standard cabin, waiting until a reasonable (as defined by the cruise line) time has passed to give the opportunity to book an accessible cabin to those who need it, but then not allowing, by default, someone such as Isabella (no offense; if you can get it, more power to you!) to be able to enjoy, in her words, that wonderful, fantastic room. Perhaps the reason that guarantee cabins have more opportunity to get these is tied to the fact that they take their chances and might get a lump of coal, might get a diamond. But Celebrity has said that they don't work like that.

This is the first time traveling on -X- for me & it was booked through a TA. On Carnival, I notified them ahead of time with an application that I used a walker, my booking & cabin #'s, etc. Do I go through the Special needs dept directly, or should my TA do it?:confused:

I would think you would need to have your TA do it. It doesn't hurt to have them ask. If you or your TA need the number, it's 1-800-722-5472 ext 34492 or email specalneeds@celebrity.com. As I mentioned above, you'll need to provide documentation of your need. But if it comes down to either you or me for that last accessible cabin, I vote you!

I booked while on board the Solstice in Jan for an April cruise,I told them I needed a handicapped room as I must use a walker in the cabin.She checked and had 6 available on deck 6 and 7,I was very surprised and gladly booked one. When we arrived home(2 days later) I had the booking transferred to our TA,when she called they told her none were available.After a lot of checking they found my reservation and verified the handicapped room.So they do hold them back and play games with them, why I don't know.That is why I said before luck has more to do with it than need. I still believe they should keep a waiting list of people that need them but Celebrity will not do that.That is really my only complaint about Celebrity.

I would agree that a waiting list, up until the time they give up and release them to the general public, would make sense. Is it possible that, when your TA called, they said there were none available because they were either all booked by then, including the one on your reservation they later found? Or maybe they were responding to what they thought was a general inquiry, and no, these rooms aren't available just for the asking?

Do they charge for an up-grade? On my deck, the Handicapped are too far forward & the movement is bad. Otherwise, they have them on an upper deck mid-ship.

You would pay whatever the going rate is for the class and category the accessible room happens to be in. If you're asking if you would like an accessible cabin in a particular class, but none are available, can you upgrade to the next class higher that has one available for the same price, I'd say the answer is no.

If I'm willing to pay the additional for a top grade balcony, how come you end up getting it? It's because I don't speak up and say I want it!

That is what GUARANTEE means - anything can happen. We've got different cat everytime we booked guarantee. This time we were very lucky to get this room, which was mid ship by elevators. The reason we would have got upgraded to minisuite, if they took back our room, is since we got assign this room, they could not give us lower cat , only higher - according to our TA.

What are the procedures and protocols involved in getting a handicap-accessible cabin that is not being booked by someone who needs it?

I'm not talking about selfishly booking an accessible cabin when I don't need one, thus preventing someone who needs one from being able to book one. Obviously, though, there are times when there are more of these cabins available than are needed by pax who require the extra room for wheelchair mobility and so on. What determines who gets them?

I am assuming you cannot request them when the bookings for a cruise first become available unless you can show a need for one. At what point does the cruiseline start allowing bookings by everybody? Do they fill these up with the GTY bookings? Do they upgrade pax in the same category? I would hate to think that if they release these cabins, say, a couple of weeks before the cruise that those who waited until the last minute to book get to gobble them up.

Anyone with any insight to share?

First let me be clear that I am a person with a disability. I use a wheelchair for mobility, and could not go on a cruise if there were no handicap-accessible cabin available.

I'm curious why you would title your thread "upgrade to an accessible cabin"?? Yes, they are larger -- but that's the only possible "upgrade" I see. There are few if any nice suites that are handicap-accessible; often the balconies aren't really all that accessible; generally because there are shower curtains rather than shower doors, and no tubs, non-disabled people don't like the showers, claiming they leak badly, particularly when the seas are rough.

I don't have any problems with a cruise line releasing handicap-accessible cabins "at the last minute" -- 6 weeks out or so. Or using them as back-ups for "guarantees". I DO have problems with people deliberately booking handicap-accessible cabins that don't need them. While cruise lines will tell you that they demand proof of disability before booking them, in truth the "proof" is more the "word of honor" of either the passenger or their travel agent that they are disabled. So someone calls, claims disability, and the cabin is booked. Or an unscrupulous TA books for her client, assuring (falsely) that the client is disabled. And then threads appear on CC (and other places) of people bragging how they "snatched up" one of these cabins, and how much they appreciate the extra space, etc., but of course denying someone who actually needs such a cabin the opportunity to cruise.

As you know, handicap-accessible cabins are few and far between on all the cruise lines. Please leave them for the few of us who can afford to cruise, and who could not experience this pleasure without one!

First let me be clear that I am a person with a disability. I use a wheelchair for mobility, and could not go on a cruise if there were no handicap-accessible cabin available.

I'm curious why you would title your thread "upgrade to an accessible cabin"?? Yes, they are larger -- but that's the only possible "upgrade" I see. There are few if any nice suites that are handicap-accessible; often the balconies aren't really all that accessible; generally because there are shower curtains rather than shower doors, and no tubs, non-disabled people don't like the showers, claiming they leak badly, particularly when the seas are rough.

I don't have any problems with a cruise line releasing handicap-accessible cabins "at the last minute" -- 6 weeks out or so. Or using them as back-ups for "guarantees". I DO have problems with people deliberately booking handicap-accessible cabins that don't need them. While cruise lines will tell you that they demand proof of disability before booking them, in truth the "proof" is more the "word of honor" of either the passenger or their travel agent that they are disabled. So someone calls, claims disability, and the cabin is booked. Or an unscrupulous TA books for her client, assuring (falsely) that the client is disabled. And then threads appear on CC (and other places) of people bragging how they "snatched up" one of these cabins, and how much they appreciate the extra space, etc., but of course denying someone who actually needs such a cabin the opportunity to cruise.

As you know, handicap-accessible cabins are few and far between on all the cruise lines. Please leave them for the few of us who can afford to cruise, and who could not experience this pleasure without one!

The term "upgrade" was meant to acknowledge the fact that an accessible cabin is more desirable. What I'm contemplating is potentially moving from Summit 7208 to 7212, right next door, so not technically an upgrade. Same class, same price, larger room. I have no experience with trying to get a cabin that I wasn't entitled to, and wouldn't try. False claims of disability are deplorable, and I am in no way suggesting that anyone attempt it. I take your word that it happens, and anyone involved, if found out, should be denied passage and banned from all cruise ships for all time, and TA's credentials revoked. This would explain the outrage from kitty9, though.

Once again, I agree completely on having those accessible cabins available for those who want and need them. I'm only trying to address the narrow issue of the few times when those cabins are unneeded.

If I'm willing to pay the additional for a top grade balcony, how come you end up getting it? It's because I don't speak up and say I want it!

That is what GUARANTEE means - anything can happen. We've got different cat everytime we booked guarantee. This time we were very lucky to get this room, which was mid ship by elevators. The reason we would have got upgraded to minisuite, if they took back our room, is since we got assign this room, they could not give us lower cat , only higher - according to our TA.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post here. If you're saying that, since I'm willing to pay the additional, and a GTY ends up with it, it's my fault if I didn't speak up and say I wanted it, I agree. I just wanted to find out when to speak up. If you're saying that you deserve the room because you paid the additional for a top grade balcony, why should I get it, then I don't really understand how GTY works. I thought you paid the price for the lowest class in the category, and took your chances. Anyway, that's been my limited experience. You can have the room I'm vacating-- it would be the same class as the accessible, just not as big.

Party, there are many unscrupulous travel agents who will book their clients into HC cabins just because of the size difference. I personally know of one TA who does this all the time. I also know that passengers who scuba dive love booking these cabins because they can store their equipment easily in the larger cabins.

And yes, if you take the time and read a lot of posts, you'll discover many who have bragged about booking HC cabins, early out, and are proud of this.

The ADA does not require cruise lines to ask for proof of disability, so anyone can technically book those cabins, and the onus IS on the cruise lines. But since they cannot legally ask for proof of disability, there's the conundrum. But in the end, the disabled passenger gets screwed out of cruising because of a lack of cabins and a number of passengers who book these cabins.

Like I said Isabella, there's no way you would have gotten the boot from the HC cabin because there's no way of telling that you're NOT disabled. I don't care how much money you paid for your top grade balcony, an HC cabin should be for a handicapped person unless it's a last minute booking or the cruise line determines at a late date that no disabled person will be booking the cruise. You got "lucky" with this "great" cabin, but I certainly hope you don't take this and book these "great" cabins in the future.

Like I said Isabella, there's no way you would have gotten the boot from the HC cabin because there's no way of telling that you're NOT disabled. I don't care how much money you paid for your top grade balcony, an HC cabin should be for a handicapped person unless it's a last minute booking or the cruise line determines at a late date that no disabled person will be booking the cruise. You got "lucky" with this "great" cabin, but I certainly hope you don't take this and book these "great" cabins in the future.

I believe that's what she's saying. With a GTY, they're assigned by the cruise line close to the sail date, but with the understanding that they will get "booted upstairs" if someone books at the last minute and says they need an accessible.

I'm with you 100% to try to keep someone from booking a cabin who does not deserve it. What can be done? I'm going to write Celebrity and my congressman about ADA, which I assume is Americans with Disabilities Act. I urge anyone else reading this post to do likewise.

BTW, I like the term HC better than accessible. Is that an official term? It should be in the list of acronyms.

Thank You.

Your analysis is a bit one-sided, that is a disability you can see.. ie "everyone should spend a week in a wheelchair". There are many disabilisites that cannot be seen. If you have ever seen, or used the form provided by either RCL or Celebrity, it is not just a mobility issue. For example, it can be low vision, blind, hard of hearing, deaf, oxygen, sleep apnea, dialysis, etc. So many disabilities are hidden, and therefore make most people unable to judge what someone's disability is. So maybe when you see a mobile, and what seems like a very healthy person in your opinion, you should not think of them as thoughtless individuals. YOU DON"T KNOW.

Your analysis is a bit one-sided, that is a disability you can see.. ie "everyone should spend a week in a wheelchair". There are many disabilisites that cannot be seen. If you have ever seen, or used the form provided by either RCL or Celebrity, it is not just a mobility issue. For example, it can be low vision, blind, hard of hearing, deaf, oxygen, sleep apnea, dialysis, etc. So many disabilities are hidden, and therefore make most people unable to judge what someone's disability is. So maybe when you see a mobile, and what seems like a very healthy person in your opinion, you should not think of them as thoughtless individuals. YOU DON"T KNOW.

Sorry to put in my two cents here, but a Handicapped Cabin offers a wide doorway, no step out to the balcony and a roll in shower. Many of the disabilities you mentioned above, while they are certainly disabilities don't require a handicapped cabin.

Steve

I am the first to know and understand the "unseen disability", but the disabilities you mention do not really require the use of an HC cabin. My sister is legally blind, but she would not "qualify" for using an HC cabin---those types of disabilities can be accommodated in a regular cabin. Neither would someone with sleep apnea, hearing imparied, needing oxygen or other such disabilities require the use of an HC cabin. The main reason for an HC cabin is because you need the room for storing your electric or manual wheelchair, a rollator or have an inability to use a regular shower or need the grab bars in the bathroom. Using a C-pap machine or oxygen canisters does not really require the use of an HC cabin. Nor is that cabin a necessity for hearing or visual impairment.

Believe me, I know the unseen disabilities, and have had confrontations with the able bodied when I park in an HC space. Since I'm younger, people assume that I can't possibly be disabled and I've had people pound on my car windows and yell at me that I cannot park there because I'm not disabled. I even had one woman follow me in a grocery store to make sure that my "limp" and use of a cane or walker was for real. But I am telling you, the booking of HC cabins by able bodied individuals is a very big problem and one that we will never solve.

Sorry to put in my two cents here, but a Handicapped Cabin offers a wide doorway, no step out to the balcony and a roll in shower. Many of the disabilities you mentioned above, while they are certainly disabilities don't require a handicapped cabin.

Steve

I am the first to know and understand the "unseen disability", but the disabilities you mention do not really require the use of an HC cabin. My sister is legally blind, but she would not "qualify" for using an HC cabin---those types of disabilities can be accommodated in a regular cabin. Neither would someone with sleep apnea, hearing imparied, needing oxygen or other such disabilities require the use of an HC cabin. The main reason for an HC cabin is because you need the room for storing your electric or manual wheelchair, a rollator or have an inability to use a regular shower or need the grab bars in the bathroom. Using a C-pap machine or oxygen canisters does not really require the use of an HC cabin. Nor is that cabin a necessity for hearing or visual impairment.

Believe me, I know the unseen disabilities, and have had confrontations with the able bodied when I park in an HC space. Since I'm younger, people assume that I can't possibly be disabled and I've had people pound on my car windows and yell at me that I cannot park there because I'm not disabled. I even had one woman follow me in a grocery store to make sure that my "limp" and use of a cane or walker was for real. But I am telling you, the booking of HC cabins by able bodied individuals is a very big problem and one that we will never solve.

My case in point below, thank you Steve and Darcie...

Excusses can be made for anything, and you are correct, partially...

Almost all of your examples do not require the added space for an appliance (mobility device) but would be served with maybe more specific applications/adaptions to a cabin (see below) ...

Unfortunately look at some if not all of the disability orientated threads on CC, they are loaded with individuals that self-admittedly have zero disability and brag of the fact they obtained an accessible cabin and to bad for anyone really needing it, ie confined (can't stand or walk) to an appliance.

The cruise lines w/newer ships are designing "disability cabins" for a wide stance of customers that are hearing impaired, sight impaired, etc that do not require a "larger cabin" as would be necessary for someone who is "confined" (can't stand or walk) but instead are equipped for that specific disability.

Someone who's disability is sight or hearing or many other impairments do not need the "larger" cabin... The cruise lines are starting (not 100% yet) to go back to what those cabins where originally designed for, appliance (mobility device, not a garage for a scooter [OK, eat me up!]) use only...

The following is a letter we get from NCL and something comparable from Princess on every sailing because we have booked an accessible cabin, note statement highlighted in green, AND they are enforcing it:

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to cruise with NCL. We hope you are as excited about cruising with us, as we are

to have you on board.

This letter is to clarify some of NCL’s policies regarding your Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom. Please

read the following and make sure you meet all requirements.

Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom Policies:

• If you require full time use of a wheelchair, you must provide your own and it must be the small

collapsible type of wheelchair.

• Wheelchairs must be able to navigate through the stateroom door which is approximately 35”

(inches) wide.

• Wheelchairs must also be able to navigate through bathroom doors that are 20” to 22” (inches)

wide.

• Motorized wheelchairs and scooters are welcome, however gel-cell batteries must power them. Due

to safety regulations, NCL cannot accept any wet cell or acid-battery powered wheelchairs.

• If you have booked a Wheelchair Accessible Stateroom and do not require a wheelchair, we may

ask you to relocate to another stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a wheelchair.

If you have any questions or comments about these policies for Wheelchair Accessible Staterooms,

please feel free to contact the Accessibility Team at 800.327.xxxx.

Again, we’re looking forward to having you on board and experiencing our exclusive Freestyle Cruising®,

where you’re free to… whatever.

Sincerely,

NCL Access Department

We have had this enforced twice in the past year, once on Princess and once on NCL... Both these were from bookings we made within the final payment period.

So buyer beware, if you don't require an accessible cabin you may (most likely) get relocated to a cabin you may not want at the last minute. Most likely a cabin nobody else wanted, rarely an upgrade to a suite...:eek: Most of the time it is the cabin they would have given a last minute booking by the individual who is getting their cabin, again, rarely an upgrade...

It is kind of like trying to sneak alcohol on board, sometimes it might work and other times you'll get nailed.

Good for the cruise lines getting a little spine again...

As far as a ship booking up full with accessible cabins left over? It simply does not happen, period!!!

Almost always there are not enough accessible cabins for those who truly need them for confinement (can't walk or stand) to a wheelchair. Hence, there are always many who are not going on that cruise because of an able bodied individual taking that cabin, almost always...

We have been in the disabled community for 20+ years now as my wife is "confined" (can't stand or walk) to a wheelchair and oh, the things we have seen and heard.........:eek:;)

OK, eat me alive!

I'm outta here...

Archived