Murano Glass beads in Venice

rian90

My 12 year old daughter loves to make beaded jewelry and her work is quite beautiful for a child. She wants me to bring back some beads made from Murano glass from Venice when we go in September. How can I make sure the beads are actually Murano glass? Do they have a special marking? I am sure she would not know the difference either way but even if they are expensive a few choice pieces would make her very happy.

Thanks!

It is very difficult to know if the beads are really made of Murano glass because there are tons of cheap Chinese imitations out there!!! Even when buying ON Murano it is iffy. I have not seen special markings on loose beads. There IS a marking on some finished pieces.

There is one small shop IN Venice where you can actually talk to the owner who is a Murano glass artist. He has a website and it shows handmade beads. It is called glasshandmade dot it. When it loads if you click on a picture of a bead it will tell you about it. If you click on the picture of the artist it will tell you about him. The shop is on Calle della Mandola which you will find as you walk from Campo Santa Stefano towards the Rialto Bridge. IF you go there tell Mauro that the"dragon lady "sent you. He made me a dragon for my collection.

Thank you!

I realize they can be found online but there is something special about bringing a gift home from our trip, especially since she will not be with us.

I am going to choose a small nice piece for her, maybe a pendant piece and then get some less expensive beads or order them online so she can make a full item. I suppose as long as it was purchased in Venice it will be special to her. :)

The website is wonderful, by the way. I have bookmarked it to share with her.

Archived