Currency in San Juan

wrf2e

Is U.S. currency used in San Juan? The reason I ask is I am planning on hitting up the ATM after checking out of the hotel and need to make sure I will be getting U.S. dollars from the machine. I would get money out before hand but want to make sure I leave enough in the account for the hold the hotel places on the card at check-in.

In latin america there are 3 countries that use the US dollar as currency, 2 republics (Ecuador in south america and Panama in central america) and 1 self governing commonwealth associated with the US in the caribbean which is Puerto Rico. In Puerto Rico the dollar is commonly known and called a 'Peso', the quarter is called 'Peseta' and the nickel is called 'Vellón', penny is 'chavito' or 'chavo' and a dime is called '10 chavos'. If you hear or read in Puerto Rico '10 (diez) pesos' means 10 dollars.

Hi

UM ya its part of the USA so ya what would they use ?????

Wow thats a hard one

Hope someone can help you

Rico

Well, I assumed they used the USD but there are so many places in the Caribbean that are Brittish but do not use their currency so I wanted to double check.

I appreciate all they answers.

Well, I assumed they used the USD but there are so many places in the Caribbean that are Brittish but do not use their currency so I wanted to double check.

I appreciate all they answers.

It is a completly valid question since Puerto Rico is not annexated to the US, it is not a US state or an incorporated territory and has it's own national identity (for example, Puerto Rico competes against USA in the World Olympics every 4 years with it's own national team. the Puerto Rico basketball team was the first team ever to defeat the USA basketball 'dream' team in a World Olympics during Athens 2004)

It is a completly valid question since Puerto Rico is not annexated to the US, it is not a US state or an incorporated territory and has it's own national identity (for example, Puerto Rico competes against USA in the World Olympics every 4 years with it's own national team. the Puerto Rico basketball team was the first team ever to defeat the USA basketball 'dream' team in a World Olympics during Athens 2004)

Those are some cool facts.

Forgive me if this strikes a nerve, but how do Puerto Ricans feel about their "status"? Would you rather become a state, become an indpependent nation or are you fine the way things are?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a cool fact. A PR can move to Florida and vote in a national election. But if they move back and live in PR, they can not. Unlike other territories, US territories are part of the US, and have all the same banking and laws. They just do not have all the same privledges such as the right to chose a President. They are US citizens, and can move freely back and forth as if it was any other state.

In Puerto Rico the dollar is commonly known and called a 'Peso', the quarter is called 'Peseta' and the nickel is called 'Vellón', penny is 'chavito' or 'chavo' and a dime is called '10 chavos'. If you hear or read in Puerto Rico '10 (diez) pesos' means 10 dollars.

Thanks for this info. I'm prepping the kids for our trip to San Juan, and this is great for our similarities/differences compare/contrast. Last time we were there, it was just ship to airport for an early-ish flight, so we didn't get to see much, but the street signs with USDOT color/style conventions but all in Spanish were interesting to see.

Just a cool fact. A PR can move to Florida and vote in a national election. But if they move back and live in PR, they can not.

Correct, if they are residents of any US state they can vote in the US general elections. Since Puerto Rico is not a state, US general elections do not apply here, PR has it's own general elections every 4 years.

Unlike other territories, US territories are part of the US, and have all the same banking and laws. They just do not have all the same privledges such as the right to chose a President. They are US citizens, and can move freely back and forth as if it was any other state

They belong (meaning their sovereignty is in US hands) but are not part of the US (only US states, the capital city D.C. and incorporated territories are considered part of the US). Puerto Rico being a self governing commonwealth associated with the US is very different from US unincorporated territories like Guam or the US Virgin Islands which are not self governing and do not enacted their own constitution voted by its own people, what they have is a US organic act instead.

Correct, Puerto Ricans are statutory (meaning by a US congress law) US citizens and can move freely as long as they continue with the present status, a change in status could change this in the future (US congress can revoke the statutory citizenship law at any time).

Archived