Alaska or Mediterranean?

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning to splurge on a cruise next summer (2006). We have sailed Western Caribbean, Canada (new england side) and Bahamas. I am researching cruises in Alaska and Mediterranean and wanted everyone's opinion who has been these places. We would have to get a balcony for my husband so I didn't want to spend more than $1300 a person for this. Any tips would be great (such as getting to and from Alaska or Europe, the cruise itself, etc). Thanks so much

Megan

Dear Megan,

I would vote for Alaska. I thought the cruise ship was the way to go for Alaska. I am helping a friend plan her Mediterranean trip and it is too much of "If it is Tuesday, it most be Rome". That being said I have never cruised the Mediterranean except for taking a ship from Italy to Greece. I have spent a lot of time in Europe and would suggest not doing Europe that way, much better to go and see fewer places. THis is just my opinion though and others amy see it differently. Also air to Europe can be high depending on where you are starting from. Alaska is great, you can find good deals if you start early.

Good Luck, isn't it nice to have choices.

Jean

It really is hard to compare. They are both so different. I do agree that Alaska is probably more relaxing. I would say it was one of the most beautiful trips I have ever taken. On the other hand, the mediterranean is wonderful also. It is hectic but a lot less hectic than being on a land tour and packing up your bags and moving every day. This probably doesn't help you much but just my opinion.

Alaska (hands down) The best

Are you serious? wow, I agree Alaska can be beautiful, but it isn't Rome, it isn't Florence.

To the Original Poster...I think you have to look at your interests. They are so different. Alaska will be a more relaxing cruise unless you look at a Transatlantic, but I don't think there's a replacement for seeing Europe.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Alaska! We've been 3 times (in a row) and are now planning our 4th this August. We can't wait to go back. We taking friends as well, who have never been before and have never cruised before! It should be a blast. I've never the the Med. (someday). We have done Scandanavia had a blast. It's so hard to choose. I'd still lean towards Alaska.

I agree with CruiseJunkie - it all depends what type of cruise you want.

If you desire a relaxing cruise, pick Alaska.

If you want one where you see a lot of sights, but end up relatively exhausted, pick Europe.

We've done seven cruises and Europe was easily the best for us. We got to see all the sights of Barcelona, Nice, Monaco, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, Sicily, and more, and only needed to pack and unpack once.!

We've done both and they were both wonderful. We are doing Alaska again in June. If I were doing the Med again...it would NOT be a 7 day cruise. That was too tiring. We would opt for the 12 night. Alaska and The Med are two totally different experiences.

We've done Europe and the Med. region several times by land and several times by cruise ship. By far the BEST (for us) was experiencing the Med. by cruise ship! (In fact, our very first cruise was in the Med....and we had planned on returning every year until 9/11 made cowards out of us....:mad: )

Alaska was NEVER high on my list of places to see. Having said that: in 2003, I came across a wonderful price for an Alaska Repositioning Cruise on Summit, 14-day with stops at Catalina, San Francisco, Seattle, Victoria, Hubbard Glacier, Jeuno(sp? too tired to look it up!), Sitka, Skagway, Ketchikan, a day cruising the Inside Passage, and finally Vancouver. What a trip!

That was (for us) the very BEST way to see Coastal California, the Pacific NW as well as Alaska!

Would be repeating that repositioning cruise for a third time this May except:D we booked Millie in the Med. for this May (while on the Summit in Alaska;) )!

It's a matter of preference - and two distinctly different cruises: All of our Med. cruises have been Very, Very port intensive - and I felt I needed a vacation upon returning home.....but you simply can't imagine the thrill and the beauty of cruise into Venice early in the morning - cruising right past St. Marks Square - while being served breakfast on your private balcony!

However, the 14-day repo cruises we've taken to Alaska were the most relaxing cruises we've ever experienced.....sooooo relaxing.

But then, it's pretty hard to beat watching the beautiful scenery pass by (that IS Alaska) from your private balcony, while wrapped in a snug wool blanket, cuddled up with your honey - with one hand wrapped around a cup of hot chocolate (or, er, something stronger:cool: ).

IMHO: YOU CAN'T/WON'T GO WRONG NO MATTER WHICH ONE YOU PICK! They are BOTH winners and "should dos".

We have sailed Alaska twice and will be doing the 12 night Venice Med cruise this year. One thing to keep in mind is the difference in cost of transportation. For us, the tickets to Bacelona cost almost $1,300 and that was purchasing them the first day they became available. The airfare is now closer to $2,000.

We also have the added expense of a hotel night the day before the cruise. We've flown to Europe before and the first day is usually spent sleeping. That's not how I want to start a Med cruise. Hotels in Barcelona aren't all that cheap, especially with the very poor exchange rate of dollars to euro's. At the moment a 2 star BW hotel by the airport is going to cost us around $125 for one night.

Granted Vancouver isn't always that cheap to fly into and, if you're thinking about taking the northbound or southbound cruise rather than the RT out of Vancouver, then the cost of airfare is going to be about the same for either trip.

Archived