Tipping on Princess

jcruise67

Does Princess cruise lines automatically add the tips to your Sail & Sign account? I know several other lines do this. If so, what is your opinion of tipping? I kinda like to tip those cruise staff members that have personally had an impact on my cruise experience. I've heard of pax's having the automatic tips deducted from their bill. Please be honest, and let me know how you feel about this. I also know that this is a very controversial issue with many pax's.

John

Does Princess cruise lines automatically add the tips to your Sail & Sign account? I know several other lines do this. If so, what is your opinion of tipping? I kinda like to tip those cruise staff members that have personally had an impact on my cruise experience. I've heard of pax's having the automatic tips deducted from their bill. Please be honest, and let me know how you feel about this. I also know that this is a very controversial issue with many pax's.John

Yes Princess automatically puts $10 pp/day on your shipboard account. $3.45 room gratuity and $6.55 dining gratuity. If you remove these automatic charges from you account and hand an envelope to the person who has had an impact on your cruise experience they must put that money into the "pool" of tips. If you leave it on your account and then give that person an "extra" tip they are allowed to keep that tip.

We find this works extremely well. We always get good service and if we get exceptional service we give that "extra"

I think the autotipping is a good idea, and to be honest the 15% bar tip usually saves us money as I think we would end up tipping more if it were not added on. You can stop by the Pursers desk for envelopes to tip those who have given exceptional service, it seems we always need to do that as we have always had exceptional service in our room steward and dining room attendants. :)

Thanks for the "TIP". It seems that this would be more advantageous for all the staff. Plus, we always tip a little extra to those that have given us exceptional service. Thanks again.

John

John - Applause, Applause for your attitude on tipping! You've made a bunch of regular Princess cruisers very happy. Regardless of the many detailed explanations of how Auto Tipping works we constantly have posters tell us they are going to do it their own way. That usually means they will cancel the Auto Tip and then stiff those that have served them through out their cruise.

John - Applause, Applause for your attitude on tipping! You've made a bunch of regular Princess cruisers very happy. Regardless of the many detailed explanations of how Auto Tipping works we constantly have posters tell us they are going to do it their own way. That usually means they will cancel the Auto Tip and then stiff those that have served them through out their cruise.

Applause from me too... :)

Archived