Activities on Trans-Atlantic Voyages???

pier

Rather than post on "Port VS Sea Days," I started this thread because my question is so specific. We're considering taking the Buenos Aires to Barcelona sailing next March (2011) but have some misgivings because there are 10 days at sea. Our previous Oceania cruises have been very port intensive. We enjoy reading and playing bridge, but ten days at sea is a long time. Does Oceania have activities such as lectures, etc. and if so, what are they?

We took the Lisbon to Rio transatlantic in 11/08 and were busy all day long. Besides bridge lessons & social bridge, there were cooking lessons (complete with tastings), enrichment lectures, wine tastings, craft time, trivia and other activities for Big O points (which could be used to purchase Oceania products at an auction). There were also movies on tv and dvds to borrow and watch in your cabin. By the time you eat breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner, exercised and slept in late, there aren't that many hours left in the day. I love transatlantics and all those wonderful sea days to enjoy the ship!

Rather than post on "Port VS Sea Days," I started this thread because my question is so specific. We're considering taking the Buenos Aires to Barcelona sailing next March (2011) but have some misgivings because there are 10 days at sea. Our previous Oceania cruises have been very port intensive. We enjoy reading and playing bridge, but ten days at sea is a long time. Does Oceania have activities such as lectures, etc. and if so, what are they?

Embark,Eat,Drink,Sleep x10, Disembark.

Hi Pier,

We deposited the BA to Barcelona 2011 cruise yesterday. I've never been on Oceania - this will be my first and I am looking forward to it - but I have done several trans-Atlantics on cruise lines. Since you are even considering booking a 19 day cruise you obviously enjoy longer cruises.

I have found that most cruise lines try to make more things available for sea days when there are back to back sea days.

I personally like having the option of doing things, but find I am content to read or just watch the sea go by.

Mike

Love trans-Atlantics, and trans-Pacifics too.

I really enjoy sea days, and have never felt bored while aboard ship. This is a wide range of activities, and you can pick and chose those which you might enjoy.

Personally, I am very happy in a good chair, with a good book, people watching, and looking out over the ocean.

The South Atlantic route you are taking is usually smooth with good weather. We took a similar routing on the late great Royal Princess, 3-98, and thought it our best trans-Atlantic.

We took the Lisbon to Rio transatlantic in 11/08 a....... enrichment lectures, ......

Lectures..... there was a lecture on Pirates recounted by the lecturer when he was on board Seabourne when it was attacked. A day or two later, Nautica encountered pirates near Somalia!

There's a passenger on your sailing that will be making his 6th or more sailing on this route, all on the same ship!

Generally warm weather, calm seas, leading to lots of activities on deck. Or just laying out there enjoying the sun.

Then, the fellow passengers you meet on such a small ship often lead to long lasting friendships. Right, Janet?:)

I am in the process of booking on Insignia for the BA to Barcelona cruise next March, just waiting to get all the info from our TA and then we will place our deposit in the next day or so. We have our cabin on hold. Have never been on Oceania and my DH Ted and I are really excited about it.

DESTCRZ looks like we will be on the same cruise. We have done a couple of TA's and really enjoy them. We are on the Celebrity Equinox in April for a TA. We love both port and sea days and have never been bored at anytime.

In everything I have read about Oceania it sounds like it will be perfect for us.

Nan

Am waiting for my TA to return from a trip, and we will be making a reservation for the Buenos Aires to Barcelona TA in 2011. While we loved our trip to Scandinavia, it was very port-intensive as most Oceania cruises are, so I wanted to give DW a chance to see what a few days at sea are like.

What I love about the 3/15/11 cruise from BA to Barcelona is the way the itinerary is broken up. You are never more than 3 days at sea before arriving at a port. I find this very interesting because on our TA's, going east or west, one half of the cruise is always port intensive and the other half is 6 days in a row at sea.

bbwex, glad you are joing us. My TA booked our cruise today.

Nan

Archived