Kidco peapod - has anyone ever used?

NJfoodie

I'm taking a look at this as an alternative to schlepping around a PacknPlay everywhere we go. I know this ship will provide a PnP, but I'm debating whether or not this would be a viable alternative for the trip as well as for other travels, or visits to friends' and relatives' homes since it looks much smaller and lighter than our PnP. Has anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PeaPod-Portable-Travel-Pump/dp/B000G7OMBK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1267128345&sr=8-3

I would say yes, IF your child is age one or older. Def, NO if younger. I have a friend who's baby girl (age 4 months) died of SIDS 3 weeks ago. I would not take that risk when a pack n play is proven safe. My friend is on a mission to help save babies now and wants us to ask people to follow ALL of the reccomendations whenever the issue comes up in our own life. It is her way of having meaning for her daughter's life. Thank you for letting me share that with you.

Monica

My little one is 11 months old now and will be 14 months when we cruise. I'm looking at it as an option for traveling in general as he'll be over a year old and it's lighter than the PnP. I'm not sure how he'd do w/ the cot since he tends to roll a lot in his sleep. I'm worried he'd end up rolling across the floor...

It's a matter of Baby's preference it seems. We got DS one for our last trip (he was 5.5 months at the time). Used it a couple times, but he doesn't like it - I only got him to sleep in it once, versus the PnP which he tolerates much more. It's safe (leave the blanket that comes with it out of it) - but it seems either they love it or they hate it :(

I would say yes, IF your child is age one or older. Def, NO if younger. I have a friend who's baby girl (age 4 months) died of SIDS 3 weeks ago. I would not take that risk when a pack n play is proven safe. My friend is on a mission to help save babies now and wants us to ask people to follow ALL of the reccomendations whenever the issue comes up in our own life. It is her way of having meaning for her daughter's life. Thank you for letting me share that with you.

Monica

My heart goes out to your friend and her entire family. :( I just couldn't even begin to imagine. It's just too horrible. I'm sorry.

My heart goes out to your friend and her entire family. :( I just couldn't even begin to imagine. It's just too horrible. I'm sorry.

Thank you so much. She was the most precious, happy baby. The family is really pulling together and her two other children are what keeps her going. Just heartbreaking, our priest was even breaking up. He encouraged us to cherish every moment with our children. So true, life is such a fragile thing.

The sides on this thing is what worries me. I know that alot of it is mesh but there is also solid nylon. One thing they believe causes SIDS is the pooling of carbon dioxide around the baby. Just seems like the pod would encourage this.

Thank you so much. She was the most precious, happy baby. The family is really pulling together and her two other children are what keeps her going. Just heartbreaking, our priest was even breaking up. He encouraged us to cherish every moment with our children. So true, life is such a fragile thing.

The sides on this thing is what worries me. I know that alot of it is mesh but there is also solid nylon. One thing they believe causes SIDS is the pooling of carbon dioxide around the baby. Just seems like the pod would encourage this.

That's awful. I am so, so sorry to hear this. It's absolutely heartbreaking. :(

I have an 11 month old daughter (even though she'll be one on Thursday I'm not quite ready to say it yet!) and I still freak out about SIDS. Every time I get up during the night I check her to make sure she's still breathing. It seriously freaks me out. Anyway, I received one of the PODS as a shower gift and once I opened it I just was not comfortable with it. There were just too many places where her face could possibly get smushed up against the fabric and build up carbon dioxide. Although it is mesh in many places, it's built like a tent and has the nylon fabric along the bottom and up the sides in a larger amount than the PnP. Even now that she's older, I am much, much, much more comfortable with her in her PnP.

Just my two cents, but I think you're better off with the PnP.

Have a great time in all of your travels,

Sam :D

SIDS would be very, very, very rare at 11 months. 90% of cases happen between 2 and 6 months. We have done tons of reading on it now. I never worried about it when my babies were young and I was just plain lucky. I even let my now 4yo sleep on her belly because her reflex was so bad. I would never do that now if I had a baby. I think as parents we all do what we think is best for our children but sometimes these truely terrible things happen. I am trying my best to focus on the moment and not worry about the what ifs. Also everytime my own kids are driving me crazy I stop and remember that my dear friend would give anything to have her little one "annoy" her again. That is the precious gift she gave us in her short life.

Thank you for sharing your personally experience with this product.

Just a general commment about SIDS - they have monitors to place under the mattress that detect movement. A nurse friend of mine used one and if a baby DOES NOT move for a particular length of time, the monitor goes off so you can move them. I think it is a great idea if you are worried.

The PeaPod - We have it and we like it, but I think we use it more and different ages. We bought it to go to the beach and for our daughter to have protection from the sun and a place to sleep when travelling. When she was four months old it worked great. We kept all flaps open and put a small floor fan next to it to keep air circulating. She was swaddled then and didn't move at all. The next time we used it Naina was 7 months and she rolled a lot and it seemed to wake her up when she would roll into the side. We haven't used it since, but feel we have plenty of opportunities to use it again as it is age appropriate until they are about 7. So, if you think you want one, get it!

Now, here is why I personally don't think I would use it on a cruise. We took Naina on a cruise when she turned six months old. We happened to hit some rough water one night and we rocked a lot. I would be afraid of the baby rolling and hitting the side - movng the tent. There really isn't a way to stake it down. I did consider taking it with us for our next cruise in Nov and my daughter will be 22 months, but for this very reason I think I will just use the crib they have offered to put in our room.

My daughter started wanting to sleep on her tummy as soon as she could roll over and no matter how many times we went in to roll her back onto her back, she'd roll right back over. The idea of her rolling her face into one of those nylon sides was just too much for me. Every parent makes the choices they think are best for their little ones. Having a little one just happens to make me panic at every turn! :eek: :)

We've just asked for a crib for our upcoming cruise. Our daughter will be 21 months.

Archived