How much does Pack and Go save you?

megmno

Do any of you have a good sense of about how much savings you can using a Pack and Go fare (with only cabin guarantees) versus booking ahead and getting specific cabins assigned? We're planning a cruise for sometime in July or August, and can be flexible about the dates, thus Pack and Go might make sense and save us some money. On the other hand, we've got two kids and want to get two cabins. Kids are ages 17 (son) and 13 (daughter), and the 17 year old is very mature (math and physics geek, not a partier). If we use PnG, the chances of us getting cabins near each other are slim because those fares are only for category guarantees. We would book the cabins with one adult and one kid in each cabin, but switch after we were aboard. The kids say they would be fine even if our cabins weren't near each other. We've all got cell phones, too. On the other, other hand, I'm starting to get the mamma anxiety thing. I know in my head they'd be fine, but I would probably worry somewhat during the cruise. On the other, other, other hand, DS will be going off to college in September, so maybe I should just take a chill pill. Gotta cut the apron strings sooner or later. So, bottom line -- what kind of a fare difference might we see if we were to wait for PnG, and is it worth the extra money to just book now and thus not worry later? The cruise we are thinking of is one of the 8 day Carribean cruises on the Miracle out of New York. PS -- They are really good kids, but if you see them blocking the stairways, feel free to douse them with tomato juice

Look at the current pack n go yourself and then compare them to the rates posted...

I think lately pack n go rates stink ... but thats just my opinion. there was a great one for Ecstasy 2 weeks before my cruise ... thats the last good one I remember seeing. When I was booked to cruise. Now I cant find one to book.

Look thru the slim selection ... see what you think. Im finding the Tuesday specials on RCL slim pickings too lately, fewer choices discounted.

Some times they are great rates, some times they are $40 pp more than you might have been able to book ES had you booked a year ago. .. i.e. not so great.

How can someone give you a percentage or how good are they answer, are we comparing them to what could have been booked ES or to current rates or what?? But my opinion of the last two weeks of pack n gos is no deals.

PS if you are hoping to book one particular ship, miracle out of NY ... the chances that is one of the 7 ships with a rate any particular rate is pretty slim. Go look at the pack n gos now yourself and decide..better than someone else saying hey I got a great rate 5 months ago on a pack n go.

I don't think there's any way to know what the PnG rate will be in July or August, I don't think you'll find anyone who can answer your question. It just depends on how full the ship will end up being, and my guess is a July/August 8-day Carribean from NYC will be popular. Who knows if they'll even offer a PnG (they don't for all cruises)? I would just go ahead and book ES if you feel the rate is good...you know they've announced the 5% price increase after March 22nd for sailings during those months? So I would do it before then, if I were you. JMO.

Archived