Precruise Hotel Choice

DAJ

We are making our first trip to FP at the end of April and plan to arrive at PPT 2 days before the PG sails. We are making our own arrangements. Not looking for OWB (though would be nice) just a comfortable resort. Been looking at the Sofitel or the Radisson. Any opinions are appreciated.

The Radisson is very nice. I've stayed there twice, last time about a year ago, and it was, by then, very well run. Everything's expensive, of course, so try buying water/beer in a market for your room. View is of the sunset, beautiful black sand beach, nice infinity pool.

I stayed at Sofitel once, but too many years ago to count.

Sofitel is closer to the airport, but the Radisson's a bit closer to Papeete.

If you want a smaller, more local resort, you could look at Le Royal Tahitien (but it's been a few years since I stayed there.) Great dining, right by the beach. Few tourists, mostly locals and French.

We stayed at both on our Star Flyer cruise in Aug. 2008. Of the two, the Radisson was the nicer of the two. It was in a quieter area and the ocean was also nicer there. Both had great views, grounds and pool areas. Overall, the Sofitel was nice also, but they had more carpet in the halls & rooms and with the humidity, always had a little bit of a musty smell. Of course, getting a two story suite at the Radisson didn't affect our opinions though:) One other thing that was nice at the Sofitel is the Polynesian show they have on Sunday mornings that they have outside the restaurant. Speaking of which, food was pretty decent at both.

In the link in my signature, there are shots of the grounds of both.....for some reason, we didn't get any of the interiors. The Sofitel is at the beginning and Radisson at the end of the Star Flyer gallery. If you have Quicktime, you can play the videos below the photo albums.

Have a great trip...we shall return one day!

Mike

Archived