Splendour Balcony Worth the Cost??

jbone07

My wife and I are sailing on the Splendour of the Seas in April to Turkey, Croatia and Greece. I can upgrade from an interior to a balcony for about $800.

We have cruised about 10 times (all Carribean) and always went interior since we are rarely in the room. Because this is port intensive and the scenery of the ports is supposidly amazing, I thought it would be worth the splurge.

The only balcony at that price left is 7014, which is near the front of the boat. For another $200 I can move to a balcony in the mid section.

1. Is the Balcony worth the cost?

2. Is 7014 OK because of the location to the front (wind, noise, etc)

3. Is the port side OK on this itinirary?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jason

I can only answer #1.. and in my opinion, probably not. I love balconies, but when we did the Western Med, we really were never in the room. We were in port until 6-7 each night, then came back, ate dinner, tried to watch a show (kept falling asleep!) or hang out in a lounge. We were in bed by 10 each night. Only you really know if its worth it, but I know $800 pays for an excursion or two!

This depends on you! If you love having a balcony, and it will ruin the trip NOT to have one, then it's worth it!

Otherwise, it's not!

cb..you really need to read the WHOLE thread. The OP stated that they have always had inside cabins before, so once again your flippant little answer was useless!

Jason, if you are comfortable in an interior cabin then I would save the $800.

Personally, I am claustrophic so we always have balcony cabins.

We were on the Legend of the Seas (sister ship to the Splendour) 12 night Med. cruise in August 2007 and had a JS Aft cabin. Photos in the link below.

Our two Med. cruises were port intensive however there was lots of time for us to use the balcony. In the mornings as the ship arrived at a port we would stand out there with our coffees; in the afternoons after touring or whatever, we would come back and get some lemonade and just relax on the balcony while still admiring where we were docked; in the late evenings we would sit out and enjoy the stars.

Whichever you choose, I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

The scenery is indeed amazing. We did this cruise in cabin #7066 a couple of years ago and I would think $800 is worth it. 7014 is not that far forward. I wouldn't pay an extra $200 to move further to the middle. Keep in mind you have 2 sea days on this cruise and on the day in Corfu you don't dock until 1 p.m. You will have plenty of time to enjoy the balcony. If there is a cruise you are going to splurge on, this would be a good one.

On the other hand, if spending the extra on the balcony is going to limit other things you are able to do, save the money and see the sights by going out on deck. I don't think which side matters a great deal. If you want to be in your cabin for sail away, I would say port side [in my opinion that's the best view of Venice]. But I prefer to be on deck for sail away.

Thanks for the quick replies. The $800 is not going to affect spending money for the trip, so I think the balcony is worthwhile - which poses the following questions:

1. Any experience on Port or Starboard for this itinirary?

2. Is near the front OK for the noise, wind, etc?

I have been an avid reader of these boards and always get some great tips that make my trips wonderful! Thanks again

Jason

I'm with Jen on this. I was on the Splendour and the cruise is truely port intensive. I LOVE balcony cabins, but we opted for an ocean view for the Med cruise. We spent so much time off the ship, that I did not miss the balcony. For sailaway, we postioned ourselves on one of the aft decks. That way we could see both sides. Fabulous views.

You will love the Splendour and the Med.

cb..you really need to read the WHOLE thread. The OP stated that they have always had inside cabins before, so once again your flippant little answer was useless!

Amen. Problem is if you read the whole question you can't run your post count of useless answers up as fast.

We did a 10 day Brilliance in Europe last year which had 4 days at sea, so we opted for balcony cabins. Funny, we didin't use the balconieson the sea days, we were always out and about. The balcony was also covered over and more shaded (more so we thought then Navigator, but that may just be my perception...). I loved to be out on the balcony when we arrived in a new port.

That being said we are on the same itinerary as you, but in May and as we didn't use the balconies as much as we throught, we have opted for two interiors this time around

You will have a great time no matter what you choose

We did a 10 day Brilliance in Europe last year which had 4 days at sea, so we opted for balcony cabins. Funny, we didin't use the balconieson the sea days, we were always out and about. The balcony was also covered over and more shaded (more so we thought then Navigator, but that may just be my perception...). I loved to be out on the balcony when we arrived in a new port.

That being said we are on the same itinerary as you, but in May and as we didn't use the balconies as much as we throught, we have opted for two interiors this time around

You will have a great time no matter what you choose

We did a 10 day Brilliance in Europe last year which had 4 days at sea, so we opted for balcony cabins. Funny, we didn't use the balconies on the sea days as much as we thought we would, we were always out and about. The balcony was also covered over and more shaded (more so we thought then Navigator, but that may just be my perception...). I loved to be out on the balcony when we arrived in a new port.

That being said we are on the same itinerary as you, but in May and as we didn't use the balconies as much as we thought, we have opted for two interiors this time around.

You will have a great time no matter what you choose.

We have always had insides because we are hardly ever in the room. There are so many areas on the ship you can see all the sights. I would rather cruise more than have the balcony. I am sure a balcony is wonderful. I am one that does not like to be alone.

Jan

Archived