shorts in dining room

shelli0729

Good lord.......

Kurbanfan, I don't know where you are from, because you don't indicate, but here in Virginia, and the circles I was raised it, dressing appropriately matters, very much. It can affect you job, your friends, where you eat, etc.

Well according to Carnival they are........isn't that what the question was all about........can they wear shorts to dinner on Carnival:confused:

If you read the whole thread, you will see that I answered the OP correctly in my initial thread. I know people can wear them, I just questioned whether they should.

I don't need a different cruise line, thanks. I can respect the fact that it is allowed, and I don't look a people funny should they chose to wear the minimum.

My only reason for posting was that I think people need to think about where they are, and dress appropriately, regardless of what the dress code allows. Just wth many things in life, the dress code has been dumbed down to suit the masses, rather than asking the masses to raise their standards.

Dress code is a matter of basic manners, and really has nothing to do with values. Whether someone wears shorts in the dining room does not make them a bad person, it simply indicates that they were not raise to know better.

I was raised knowing that at any time and any place, you could meet a person that would change the course of your life forever. Better be dressed in such a way that they don't pass you over, thinking you are ignorant of the appropriate code.

Again, your values mean very little. I see nothing in your statement other than your values. You value the notion of some higher order of dress above a published dress code. You value a concept of "appropriate" with respect to dress. You value the possibility of an unspecified 3rd party who will respect your dress and change your life. :rolleyes:

I don't agree with people who choose to ignore the dress code because it is "their" vacation and therefore think they should be allowed to dress as they please.

But, if dress shorts are allowed in the MDR, they are allowed in the MDR. I don't think it's fair to think that people aren't dressed appropriately (according to one's own standards) even though their clothing choices are allowed according to the dress code.

I can get past a lot of things...but unclean, cruddy feet in dress flip flops (not the plastic Old Navy beach flop flops) or sandles may just cause me to lose my dinner. But, that type of footware is allowed. So if I am not comfortable, I expect to excuse myself. If someone isn't comfortable around someone that is wearing dress shorts even though shorts are acceptable, that person should leave and go eat at the buffet.

Well I was raised in the South as well and understand all about appropriate dress and manners. I was even a debutant! It is perfectly appropriate to me since Carnival allows it in their dress code. I was certainly raised right as indicated by my socio-economical standing and other factors. I'm sorry that our standards don't match but that really will not impact my decision to wear a skirt or a pair of shorts. I'm secure in dressing myself!

OP, yes your child can wear the short on non elegant nights. It is vacation, it is not 5 star dining.

for my jokester Grneyedgrl....honey if they allowed cover ups and swimsuits, I would say go for it. No skin off my teeth baby girl. I however would not partake in that particular part of the dress code.:p

Kurbanfan, I don't know where you are from, because you don't indicate, but here in Virginia, and the circles I was raised it, dressing appropriately matters, very much. It can affect you job, your friends, where you eat, etc.

Sounds like we were raised in the same social circle. I love to watch people being turned away at a fine restaurant because they FAIL to dress appropriately.

I don't need a different cruise line, thanks. I can respect the fact that it is allowed, and I don't look a people funny should they chose to wear the minimum.

My only reason for posting was that I think people need to think about where they are, and dress appropriately, regardless of what the dress code allows. Just wth many things in life, the dress code has been dumbed down to suit the masses, rather than asking the masses to raise their standards.

Dress code is a matter of basic manners, and really has nothing to do with values. Whether someone wears shorts in the dining room does not make them a bad person, it simply indicates that they were not raise to know better.

I was raised knowing that at any time and any place, you could meet a person that would change the course of your life forever. Better be dressed in such a way that they don't pass you over, thinking you are ignorant of the appropriate code.

Just because you were raised one way and others were raised another doesn't make your way the only right way. This post made you out to sound very snobbish. IMHO if the cruiseline allows it, then there really is no need to question if they should or not. It doesn't matter - long shorts are allowed on non-elegant nights. If it bothers you that much, then you may want to try a cruiseline that doesn't allow it. You might find yourself fitting in better with your peers who were "raised to know better".

You are right they are allowed, but does it follow that you should? My boys (12 and 6 soon) wear kakhi pants and a collared shirt. This isn't Chili's or Applebees...it is a nice dining experience. They are required to wear pants and collared shirts to school, I don't think it is too much to ask them to wear it for dinner.

Now what the dress code really needs to comment on is hats - since when did men decide that it was appropriate to wear a baseball hat to dinner?

I think Chili's or Applebees might be more upscale than a Carnival MDR. I have never had a roving pirate picture taker, waiters dancing to FloRida on the tables, or a waiter conga line with fruit and drinks on their head at Chili's or Applebee's. Carnival is not upscale dining, the MDR food is mostly prepared ahead of time, like a banquet.

Why am I not surprised that this subject bothers some people so much. It is like booze and smoking threads it accomplishes nothing except to expose people prejudices. Ignoring the fact that shorts are allowed in the MDR on all but Elegants nights. I don't see the big deal, if someone does not want to wear them they don't have too. If they do, go for it.

Why am I not surprised that this subject bothers some people so much. It is like booze and smoking threads it accomplishes nothing except to expose people prejudices. Ignoring the fact that shorts are allowed in the MDR on all but Elegants nights. I don't see the big deal, if someone does not want to wear them they don't have too. If they do, go for it.

LOL! When you have to stoop as low as to belittle people.....the problem lies within themselves......... it seems they are the ones trying to justify why they do what they do LMAO!!!

Since Carnival's policy allows shorts, then that's that. I can either choose to live with it, or find another cruise line. I understand that.

Call me old school, but I don't like it. I don't like that the "special" atmosphere usually found in the MDR is being eroded. For most of us, the way we eat at home is not nearly as nice as on a cruise. The food quality is still pretty good right now, but what happens if we all start dressing as casually as we want in the MDR? If our dress indicates to the cruise line that our clothing preferences are nothing special, then what's to stop them from making the food and service nothing special? If we indicate to the the cruise line that we have low expectations by the way we present ourselves, then we can all expect the cruise line to stop caring how it presents itself, if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong; I understand what Carnival is. I've sailed on Carnival a couple times in the past and I understand that it's not supposed to be as fancy as some of the other lines. I'm OK with that because I had a good time. But, I'm concerned that the "special" experience in the MDR will eventually become nothing special because we're driving the policy change by dressing as casually as we can. The cruise line will give us what we want. Why can't we want more?

One more time...it is permitted so I shall dress as I please and if YOU don't like it then YOU eat at the Lido buffet so that YOU don't starve. Gracious.

If you want an upscale dining experience then the Carnival Main Dining room is not going to meet that need. It is perhaps a 3 star, at best.

I love Carnival, I love that I can cruise MY WAY, within the guidelines. Some of you like to dress up, some don't. Some have to wear dress up clothes everyday and choose not to on vacation. Carnival obviously understands this. If it bothers you so much, eat elsewhere.

Sometimes we dress up, sometimes we don't. We especially appreciate the OPTION to dress how we would like within guidelines in the main dining room.

OP- let him wear the shorts if that's what you would like to do!:eek:

One more time...it is permitted so I shall dress as I please and if YOU don't like it then YOU eat at the Lido buffet so that YOU don't starve. Gracious.

If you want an upscale dining experience then the Carnival Main Dining room is not going to meet that need. It is perhaps a 3 star, at best.

I love Carnival, I love that I can cruise MY WAY, within the guidelines. Some of you like to dress up, some don't. Some have to wear dress up clothes everyday and choose not to on vacation. Carnival obviously understands this. If it bothers you so much, eat elsewhere.

Sometimes we dress up, sometimes we don't. We especially appreciate the OPTION to dress how we would like within guidelines in the main dining room.

OP- let him wear the shorts if that's what you would like to do!:eek:

I totally agree with ya'.

It's Carnival's ship, it's their dining room, and they set the dress code. I'm fine with that. However, for someone to say that it's their vacation, it's their money they're spending, so they should be able to dress however they please in the dining room is insensitive to others. For example, if my wife and I choose to go out and eat at Kozy's (a truly fantastic restaurant in Tuscaloosa, BTW), we dress up. If we were to show up in jeans and t-shirts, we'd be turned away, even if I pulled out my wallet at the door. And that's as it should be. Getting dressed up and seeing others dressed up is part of the atmosphere. Conversely, if we decided to grab a bite at Hooligan's, we most certainly would not dress up. We'd look quite odd if we did, and having a group of people come in all dressed to the nines would ruin the atmosphere of that place.

So, my question is this: You can eat at any number of places on a ship wearing not much more than a bathing suit, and I have no problem with that. Hell, I like those places myself. However, the dining rooms have been traditionally more formal than Lido. What's wrong with allowing the people who go there to be able to enjoy the more formal atmosphere that they want?

It's Carnival's ship, it's their dining room, and they set the dress code. I'm fine with that. However, for someone to say that it's their vacation, it's their money they're spending, so they should be able to dress however they please in the dining room is insensitive to others. For example, if my wife and I choose to go out and eat at Kozy's (a truly fantastic restaurant in Tuscaloosa, BTW), we dress up. If we were to show up in jeans and t-shirts, we'd be turned away, even if I pulled out my wallet at the door. And that's as it should be. Getting dressed up and seeing others dressed up is part of the atmosphere. Conversely, if we decided to grab a bite at Hooligan's, we most certainly would not dress up. We'd look quite odd if we did, and having a group of people come in all dressed to the nines would ruin the atmosphere of that place.

So, my question is this: You can eat at any number of places on a ship wearing not much more than a bathing suit, and I have no problem with that. Hell, I like those places myself. However, the dining rooms have been traditionally more formal than Lido. What's wrong with allowing the people who go there to be able to enjoy the more formal atmosphere that they want?

Serious? Someone dressing to the nines would ruin the atmosphere:confused:

My simple point is that is IS permitted! Gracious to the third. It is within the code, as long as it is within the code I see no problem how I dress. If someone is NOT within the stated code then by all means they should go elsewhere but shorts and jeans are permitted, get over it. Your option if you don't like what someone is wearing within the stated code is to indicate that on your comment card and/or eat else where.

Live and let live people.

Archived