shorts in dining room

shelli0729

I have a question for the fashion police. If my wife and I are already seated at a table for 8 , we are the first ones there and you come and sit down and we say hi and introduce ourselves. You notice i am wearing a regular collared shirt and think nothing of it. After dinner when we stand up you notice i have shorts on(you couldn't see them earlier as legs were under table), what happens?

a) you become violently ill that I wore shorts and ruined your ambiance? even though you really liked me before you knew I had shorts on?

b) You run to the maitrd and protest loudly?

C) You throw up and vow to never sail Carnival again

D) It didn't matter as we had a great dinner and a fun time.

I get a bit confused and forgive me in advance for saying. Everyone is so worried about how the person across the room is dressed. I wonder if the people in the suits were raised in suits and if they were raised to bash other people and their thoughts so easily. I would personally not let anyone ruin my vacation let alone by how they are dressed!!! We should worry more about kind to one another then how someone appears!

I get a bit confused and forgive me in advance for saying. Everyone is so worried about how the person across the room is dressed. I wonder if the people in the suits were raised in suits and if they were raised to bash other people and their thoughts so easily. I would personally not let anyone ruin my vacation let alone by how they are dressed!!! We should worry more about kind to one another then how someone appears!

awww c'mere!

I haven't read all the way through....but I have a question for the "shorts haters".....

Elegant night aside, what's the difference between wearing shorts and wearing a skirt or a kilt?

Thats interesting,,,the dress code doesn't address kilts. Are there dress vs casual kilts?

It does address elegant vs casual and we all know what the rules say (they've probably been cut and pasted somewhere on page 1),,why does this happen every week?

Thats interesting,,,the dress code doesn't address kilts. Are there dress vs casual kilts?

It does address elegant vs casual and we all know what the rules say (they've probably been cut and pasted somewhere on page 1),,why does this happen every week?

I think it depends on what's being worn under it. :confused:

The pleats aren't as deeply set on a casual kilt vs. a formal kilt....this is what my husband says anyhow. If it's true, I don't know! lol

It happens because if it didn't, we'd be talking about smoking and smuggling way too much. We need the variety! :D

Just because you were raised one way and others were raised another doesn't make your way the only right way. This post made you out to sound very snobbish. IMHO if the cruiseline allows it, then there really is no need to question if they should or not. It doesn't matter - long shorts are allowed on non-elegant nights. If it bothers you that much, then you may want to try a cruiseline that doesn't allow it. You might find yourself fitting in better with your peers who were "raised to know better".

Not meaning to sound snobish. I am as big of fan of short and a t-shirt as the next girl. My point is there are just times and places for it - would you wear shorts to a wedding 6 pm candlelight church wedding? I certainly hope not. Would you wear shorts to the gym? Sure.

And if you read my othere posts, I have clearly indicated that it does not bother me and I don't need another cruise line. I merely ask the question that just because something is allowed, does that mean you should do it?

In my world - just cause I can doesn't mean I should. That was the only point of my posts.

That is certainly not for you to say, as Carnival's rules clearly allow shorts in the MDR on non-elegant nights.

I don't understand the obsession by some folks about what other people are wearing.

As long as everyone is clothed, with no inappropriate body parts showing, who cares?!?!?!?!

I agree 100%

ETA: Might I add, that we will never wear shorts for dinner and we will be "dressed up" for elegant night. But I can care less what other people are wearing, they won't be in our pictures. I don't get the whole "people watching" obsession.

Not meaning to sound snobish. I am as big of fan of short and a t-shirt as the next girl. My point is there are just times and places for it - would you wear shorts to a wedding 6 pm candlelight church wedding? I certainly hope not. Would you wear shorts to the gym? Sure.

And if you read my othere posts, I have clearly indicated that it does not bother me and I don't need another cruise line. I merely ask the question that just because something is allowed, does that mean you should do it?

In my world - just cause I can doesn't mean I should. That was the only point of my posts.

I don't believe for a second that it doesn't bother you. We are not talking about a wedding, but rather a dinner on the fun ship. If you want to dress up, good for you, but I dress in a pressed uniform every workday and as long as it's allowed in the dress code-I'm going to wear shorts on non elegant nights.

I don't believe for a second that it doesn't bother you. We are not talking about a wedding, but rather a dinner on the fun ship. If you want to dress up, good for you, but I dress in a pressed uniform every workday and as long as it's allowed in the dress code-I'm going to wear shorts on non elegant nights.

Yeah but here in Virginia...:p

A 6pm candlelight church wedding:confused: Can't really say what I would wear........have not been to one.....but I have been to plenty weddings and (shut up Nunu) the dress has been really casual;) Now don't freak out but my sons wedding was on a ship and it was hawaiian themed.....the whole wedding party all wore flip flops even at dinner in the MDR:eek:

And yes I would wear shorts to the gym......running shorts......not dress shorts..........

I agree 100%

ETA: Might I add, that we will never wear shorts for dinner and we will be "dressed up" for elegant night. But I can care less what other people are wearing, they won't be in our pictures. I don't get the whole "people watching" obsession.

I agree. I will follow the rules too,,but if you come in without a shirt I probably will be a snitch. That's just not right on a lot of levels.

Utilikilts are casual.. but they sure look great on guys!:D

http://www.utilikilts.com/

I wonder if someone else is wearing shorts does that make your food taste any different?

I wore shorts evert night on the Dream and was just waiting for someone to give me the evil eye! I would rather have a Man wear shorts to dinner than have some Lady's Boobs hanging out who thinks she is 20 again. You're on the "Walmart " of ther Seas and I've seen some pretty wild things at Walmart.

Just because you feel you are a Walmart shopper, doesn't mean all the rest of us are. It might surprise you to know that there are some educated people onboard, as well as those uneducated by schooling, but have learned good taste. Shorts are fine for casual night, but not with a tee shirt and a baseball hat, but on elegant night, it's long pants and a nice shirt.

Sorry if this is too much for you to understand. I find your attitude unbelievable, but then again, I'm sure you don't care.

I find it so amusing how some people let the way other dress affect them in such a way. I personally would never let such a pity subject affect me but then again I usually don't let anything anyone does affect me. I tend not to judge people. Especially by their clothing and what they chose to wear, when and where. I think its childish.

Do you think that the people in shorts are like " Oh my goodness! They are wearing khakis and a tie! How dare they offend me with their boring clothing!" No. They don't give a damn.

How boring would the world be if we all wore Khakis to dinner :)

"Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.”

Live your life, not others.

Sorry O/T but......That sounds like fun! I bet you got some great pictures. :D

Yes it was! It turned out awesome.......all the groomsmen wore linen pants, blue hawaiian shirts and leather flip flops......groom had on the same except he had a white hawaiian shirt on.......bride had a beautiful traditional wedding dress with white sequined flip flops and a white plumeria flower in her hair.....bridesmaids wore short ocean blue sundress and matching flip flops.......

I wish I could post the pics........but I would have to kill ya:p

Yes it was! It turned out awesome.......all the groomsmen wore linen pants, blue hawaiian shirts and leather flip flops......groom had on the same except he had a white hawaiian shirt on.......bride had a beautiful traditional wedding dress with white sequined flip flops and a white plumeria flower in her hair.....bridesmaids wore short ocean blue sundress and matching flip flops.......

Sounds really special. :)

What'd you wear? :confused:

Archived