shorts in dining room

shelli0729

I believe the dress code call for "dress shorts'

from Carnivals site.....

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Hey Paullie - If shorts are long does that make them pants? :confused:

And to me that is the bottom line here. If Carnival don't care (to enforce their own code) then why should we care? When they lowered the price and stopped enforcing their own dress codes you are just going to have to accept that you will get "those" people who don't care about others including their hosts which suggest a dress code be followed.

On Carnvial it's like a game to see how far you can bend the rules and get away with it especially with the young folks. "Those" people just don't care. While the majority of people do care it's always those few that seem to ruin it for others and they just don't get it. I guess that is why on the Titantic you had to sort out the passengers by "class". Maybe Carnival should go back to the old days of cruising and bring back 3rd class for "those" type passengers and treat them accordingly.

If Carnival don't care (to enforce their own code) then why should we care?

One needs Carnival to care in order for oneself to care how they present themselves in public?

PRICELESS!

Replace "Carnival" with a wedding "Catering hall" and see how silly that sounds.

This is a cruise not a catering hall. In the past all cruise lines would turn you away at the DR door if you were not properly dressed to their code for the night. They no longer do that. What changed?

It totally is Carnival's responsiblity that their guest adhere to their rules. What is the difference between this rule and the no kids in the adult areas? There is a reason for rules or suggestions in this case.

Why do people insist on not following the rules when they are out in pulbic? "No shorts allowed" is pretty simple. Hard to deviate from that statement yet people seem to think it's okay to go against that word "no". It's like "no jumping overboard" yet people do it everyday. Same as "no smoking on port side" yet the smokers can't wait to walk all over the ship with their smokes.

This is a cruise not a catering hall. In the past all cruise lines would turn you away at the DR door if you were not properly dressed to their code for the night. They no longer do that. What changed?

It totally is Carnival's responsiblity that their guest adhere to their rules. What is the difference between this rule and the no kids in the adult areas? There is a reason for rules or suggestions in this case.

Why do people insist on not following the rules when they are out in pulbic? "No shorts allowed" is pretty simple. Hard to deviate from that statement yet people seem to think it's okay to go against that word "no".

It's a gathering just like any social function.

And sorry, but I sat with a couple in the early 90's on formal night in a T shirt and jeans.

The only thing Carnival can enforce are dress restrictions, not dress codes. The NO SHORTS ALLOWED restriction is only present on Elegant night.

And to me that is the bottom line here. If Carnival don't care (to enforce their own code) then why should we care? When they lowered the price and stopped enforcing their own dress codes you are just going to have to accept that you will get "those" people who don't care about others including their hosts which suggest a dress code be followed.

On Carnvial it's like a game to see how far you can bend the rules and get away with it especially with the young folks. "Those" people just don't care. While the majority of people do care it's always those few that seem to ruin it for others and they just don't get it. I guess that is why on the Titantic you had to sort out the passengers by "class". Maybe Carnival should go back to the old days of cruising and bring back 3rd class for "those" type passengers and treat them accordingly.

I agree 100% if Carnival doesn't care why should we?

I do dress according to Carnivals rules but I will refuse to let how someone dresses ruin my cruise.

I honestly feel that its a strategy of Carnival's, eventually we will have classes. Those who are willing to pay extra for a formal dinner ie: "SteakHouses" and various other offerings and those who don't.

Carnival wins because not only do they offer an affordable vacation to vast majority of working people but they also are making additional revenue off pay per items. This is my take on how cruising has changed in the past 10 years.

In 2006 I took my son on a cruise. He was 16 at the time. He brought new jeans and dress slacks. He hadn't tried on his "cruise clothes" before leaving home. Since he'd grown about 3 inches since he tried the slacks on they were a bit on the high water side. We let the hem down and used the proverbial duct tape.

He hated them although they didn't look as bad as it sounds. I absolutely refused to allow him to wear the jeans in the DR. Walking to the DR was a long line of men---all wearing jeans or bib overalls! On elegant night! Or in '06 was it formal night?

After that it was okay by me if he wore jeans on casual nights.

Hello, its only a couple hours out of your day ---Dress nice for dinner you will fell more

comfortable,,,,,,,business casual ....always works

What? I feel more comfortable wearing shorts to dinner, not business casual. It's within Carnival's written rules, and always works for me.

Here is what Carnival says about the issue:

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

My problem with dress code enforcement is highlighted in Red....Of course, if the goofy Northwestern Field Hockey women can go to the White House in flip flops, apparently they're OK anywhere.

Archived