Ventura Tips!

OOHSUITUSIR

Have just read the thread regarding the Ventura. I am travelling with my wife and 17 year old son to the Canaries in March.

Tom Burkes Blog was interesting, regarding the ports of call, but my questions are more about tips and hints.

CHAPTER 1

1. Do we need to take a travel iron?

2. What can a 17 year old get up to day and night?

3. Can alcohol be purchased in port and taken on board?

4. Is there a duty free shop?

5. Is there a Dartboard!!

6. Any news on the Spa charges?

7. Can Whites restaurant be pre booked before departure? Is it usually fully booked. Any tips ref booking?

8. What should we pack that might not spring to mind (Tom mentioned he had taken washing powder with him)

9. I quite like the idea of the formal nights but I understand that a lot of Oafs don't bother - are the dress codes not enforced?. What do formal nights entail?. Is it formal dress all over the ship or just in certain venues?

10. I can't find a clear explanation about what freedom dining is....can anybody help?

no doubt, more to follow!:)

Have just read the thread regarding the Ventura. I am travelling with my wife and 17 year old son to the Canaries in March.

Tom Burkes Blog was interesting, regarding the ports of call, but my questions are more about tips and hints.

CHAPTER 1

7. Can Whites restaurant be pre booked before departure? Is it usually fully booked. Any tips ref booking?

8. What should we pack that might not spring to mind (Tom mentioned he had taken washing powder with him)

9. I quite like the idea of the formal nights but I understand that a lot of Oafs don't bother - are the dress codes not enforced?. What do formal nights entail?. Is it formal dress all over the ship or just in certain venues?

10. I can't find a clear explanation about what freedom dining is....can anybody help?

no doubt, more to follow!:)

I can answer some of your questions, I have sailed on Ventura twice and I like the ship, please go with an open mind and you will have a great cruise.

Freedom Dining. This is where you choose at what time to eat in the evening. Unlike Club where you will have the same table each evening at the time you choose when you booked the cruise. ie. 630pm or 830pm. Freedom you go anytime from 630pm to 9pm you just turn up att he restaurant and say what size of table you prefer and the Maitre'd will show you to a table. You eat with different people each evening and have different waiters, unless you ask the Maitre'd for the same table, this can be done, we have done this on both our cruises.

Yes you can take washing powder if you like but the shop does sell it, rather wxpensive for what it is.

Formal nights. When we were aboard most people dressed to impress ie Tux for men and cocktail dresses for the ladies. Very few did not dress for dinner. Yes they ask that the dress code is adhered to from 6pm in all restaurants and bars but the buffet we did see people not dressed appropiatley.

No White cannot be booked before you arrive, just go to see the people when you get onboard and I am sure you will get a table.

Spa charges do you mean for ladies to have their hair done etc or the steam and sauna. If it is for the spa area tehn there are a ladies and gents sauna and steam rooms which are Free of Charge. The one that they charge for is not alot different but they have heated tiled beds etc. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Theyn claim that all their shops are duty free.

I think the new policy on Ventura is that you should not take alcohol on board at the ports, but we never found that they took it off you. Infact if you read alot of the reviews most people say that they have taken it onboard.

If you are going from Southamton then take something with you no problem.

They do have via your cabin steward the likes of gin whisky vodka in Litre bottles that you can buy along with the mixers. All very resonably priced.

You are not allowed to take an iron there are Launderetts throughout the ship with irons and washing machine plus dryers.

Your 17 year old son will hardly see you there is so much for them to do. I am sure he will make new friends very easily.

Have a great cruise. I am sure you will.

Just go with an open mind, the bad reviews come from, I think, people who are expecting a traditional cruise & find themselves on a ship with families who may not have cruised before, or more like never really been ANYWHERE before & don't know how to behave. Due to the advertising Ventura SEEMS to attract people who think the ship is totally casual.

Every formal night I have attended on all the P&O ships has had a very good turn out on a formal night with 95% or so of the men in black dinner suit (tux) including Ventura., and ladies in cocktail or long dress, or perhaps evening black trousers and sparkly top.

There are lots of very good reviews for Ventura, remember the good ones, as well as the poor ones. Go to cruisecritic.co.uk and see more reviews.

Thanks for the comments! Here are some answers to some of your questions:

1. There are irons & ironing boards in the launderettes;

3. Yes. I bought several bottles of wine at Vigo - there's a good wine shop in the new shopping centre right beside the dock - and we just took it aboard, bottles clinking together. I think P&O say they 'reserve the right' to confiscate; I imagine this might cover the case where someone already drunk staggered up the gangway with lotsa booze.....

4. I'm pretty sure there is.

7. I think so, via the 'Cruise Personaliser' web page on the P&O site.

9. When we were on Ventura we found good observance of formal nights. Possibly a majority of men were wearing DJs, and those that weren't were wearing dark suits. I odnt recall seeing anyone who was simply not bothering. Of course, I wasn't exploring the deepest recesses of the ship on those nights: we pretty much moved between the Red Bar (pre-dinner drinks), the restaurant, and Metropolis (after dinner drinks).

Thanks Tom and John, Its good news about the formal nights, the DJ doesn't get a lot of airing every year, and when it does I tend to find it has shrunk.

The wine shop in Vigois on the must do list!;)

It's not a big shop but crammed with everything from top champagne through GOOD Cava to normal wines, dunno about prices but they have a good selection....English isn't a strong point though! I don't like shops much but this shopping centre is OK, do wander uphill in Vigo though, some nice little parks & a C&A shop.

Hi, we're on the same March cruise - the 29th?

Our son is 17 too, along with my 17yr old neice (her first cruise). Alex has been on about a dozen cruises with us and loves them, as previously mentioned there is loads for them to do. He normally heads for the kids area straight away - H2O.

If you pass on my sons name he can look out for him. We have found that we only see him late evening and in bed in the morning!

• 3 weeks later...

Question 7 - Just got back from Ventura, you can't book Whites or East in Advance of you cruise. We preferred East to Whites, although both were very good. Although the food was good in the main restaurant, both Whites and East were a good bit better.

Jojo, yes there are tables for two in the restuarants, although they are rather close together with your neighbouring tables, so you do tend to chat amongst you as though you are a table of 6, we were lucky to have fantastic neighbours and it was more like dining on a table of 10!!

There seemed to be quite a few of the tables for two too.

Have a great cruise

Jenni

Jojo, yes there are tables for two in the restuarants, although they are rather close together with your neighbouring tables, so you do tend to chat amongst you as though you are a table of 6, we were lucky to have fantastic neighbours and it was more like dining on a table of 10!!

There seemed to be quite a few of the tables for two too.

Have a great cruise

Jenni

Thanks Jenni, we are only doing a weekender, but don't get away without the children too often & it would be nice to have a table to ourselves :)

JoJo

I have done a weekender on Ventura, here are some photos if you would like to see the ship:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#5245864955322613842

If you really want to ensure a table for 2, perhaps book one in East or MPW restaurant, a small supplement but it will be good,and you will get your table of 2.... book as soon as you have had lunch after boarding.

No

They have activities like Scalextrics, quizzes etc.. on through out the day, just read the paper, there is also a club for under 18's

Yes we had no trouble with this

I think so although it was not that cheap

I did not see one

There are price lists available on board

I don't think you can and I would advise booking early as we missed out

Factor 30 sun tan lotion if you in the canaries, the sun is very deceptive there and its easy to burn.

You might see 2 people out of 3,000 not dressed up, its rare even on Ventura, having said that on the rare occasion we saw people not dressed up it did not look like it was enforced ship wide but it is in the dinning room

You book when you want to dine or turn up and wait to be seated, its usually on a large table (4 to 8) with other people who want to dine at that time

We had a fantastic time on Ventura, your in for a superb holiday.

Chris

Archived