Tipping the Steward at the Beginning

MrsZee

I like to tip the steward and waiters extra, and the last time (my first cruise) I gave it to them at the end. Some of you say you do it when you first meet the steward... how much do you generally give them, do you think it actually affected your service for the better, etc? I like to keep a full ice bucket, but other than that we aren't too demanding on a steward. We keep our cabin very tidy.

I didn't tip either the first night, I gave them all an envelope with a 20 in it on the last night. But, I heard people say they gave the stewards extra the first day to guarantee extra attention. Just wondering if it actually worked.

You will have people here say they tip in advance to get better service... but I never have, and the service was fine. I have heard stewards tell me that they are confused why someone would tip them for something they have not yet done. They understand a tip as a reward for a job well done.

A tip in advance is more of a bribe, and that's not cool in my book.

I never hesitate to give something extra to the cabin steward at the end of the cruise in appreciation if they have gone above & beyond the ordinary expected. The pre-paid gratuities are given as a token for a job well done. Why would anyone give a tip at the beginning of the cruise? I wouldnt tip a waiter in a restaurant before I see how the service was.

Archived