Splendor to Mexican Riviera - a failure?

CarnivalPride

From what I have heard, now that the Splendor is doing the Mexican Riviera trips, delays and port cancellations have greatly increased since the Pride was pulled off the route. I would actually not be surprised if this is true, since the Splendor has a lower rated maximum speed than the Pride.

While I would like to see Carnival get a Luminosa Class (aka Spirit Class Plus) ship and use it on this route, I was thinking, could it be quite possible that this could be a good route for Carnival's new as-of-yet unnamed Dream Class ship? The Dream Class has an even higher rated maximum speed than the Spirit Class, and perhaps it would be a win-win situation where the ship is both larger and faster.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Where have you found these stats that splendor is missing more ports than Pride did ... and could it be coincidence worse weather lately??

Please provide a link to this info, as I havent seen it before and would like to know too.

Op The Splendor had to deal with the swine flu and bad weather last year (not the ship or ccl fault)

I was on the Splendor in September and we arrived in Puerto Vallarta earlier than expected, had a medical evac in Mazatlan (we were half way out of the channel when it happened--left as much as 90 minutes late), and arrived EARLY in Cabo despite a 90 minute delay the day before. The ship left Cabo on time and got back to LA as scheduled (around 6ish am).

The Splendor took a big trip to get to LA, so the odds of it moving back soon are not good. I'd like to see it in the Caribbean, but until the Panama Canal is widened (it is in the process of widening to accommodate the much larger/modern tankers and container shps) the Splendor stays where she is, which is OK......

Once the Magic gets homeparted in Galveston, which is only a rumor or a hope it does, the other ports will have a chance to boost it's occupancies of that ship....The H1N1 flu didn't do much for the Splendor, but it is bouncng back....Heck, I am likely to jump back on the Splendor in March of 2011...

Op The Splendor had to deal with the swine flu and bad weather last year (not the ship or ccl fault)

I remember the $99 price and how people didnt want to go to Canada where it was cold they said, no beach ... but the OP claimed the Splendor was missing ports because it was a slower ship than Pride. Thats the part I had never heard before.

I think the economy must hit the Splendor harder some claimed here too because Calif is in worse straits than some other states. I get that too, but not because its a slower ship?? That part I dont get and never heard before.

...........I think the economy must hit the Splendor harder some claimed here too because Calif is in worse straits than some other states..................

You hit the nail on the head. Bad timing. My county's unemployment rate is in the low teens. Not too many taking cruises when they don't have a job.

Claimed cruise speed for the two ships is nearly identical... 22.5 knots for the Splendor and 22 or 23 knots for the Spirit Class.

The Splendor would be harder to fill as she has a standard capacity of 3006 at 2 per cabin and the Spirit Class is 2680.

I don't think that speed, capacity or reliability are issues at all as the Splendor has been remarkably reliable. I'd guess that the economy plays more of a factor along with the Mexican Riviera ports being less popular than those in the Caribbean.

:)

We were on the Splendor recently, and we made all the ports. Boarding was a fiasco (worse we have experienced with Carnival). It's a big ship and I really did not see any difference in speed between the other Carnival ships we've been on. As usual, we are never in a hurry on a cruise. There were a few things we did not like about the Splendor, and for the time being, we probably won't sail on her for a long long time. As you can see from the ships we have cruised and the ones we have booked, we like the Spirit. They were all and are on the West Coast, for us it's close to home and we never tire of the itinerary. But, if a new ship was to show up in Long Beach or San Diego, we'll be booking it!

Archived