Coast Guard Rescue Video

cruisincory

My wife and I were on Liberty last week and had an opportunity to watch a resuce at sea first-hand. I hope no one is ever ill enough to need to be rescued at sea, but watching it is simply awe inspiring.

I'm not exactly sure what happened (I heard that a passneger had a stroke, but not confirmed), but on our last sea day the CD announced that a passenger was gravely ill, and the ship was coordinating with the Coast Guard to transport the passenger to a properly equipped medical facility. This was basically an all day process where the ship cruised back and forth off of the coast of Cuba until the chopper arrived at about 3:30 PM. Out of the blue (literally) the chopper shows up, paces the ship for about 10 minutes coordinating speed with the ship's captain, hovers to the top of the ship where they drop the basket. Two passengers got in and they repeated the process to get another. The entire process took somewhere around 30 minutes. BTW, this was all while the ship was moving and into a very stiff wind.

After witnessing the whole thing I turned to my wife and told her "this is the reason that we live in the greatest country in the world." I'm so proud that my tax dollars goes to support all branches of the armed forces, but especially the Coast Guard. I find it so rewarding that the Coast Guard values life to the point that they would coordinate rescues such as this. I truly feel that if we were in a different part of the world, in a different country's territorial waters this passsenger would not have even had a chance. Thank you Coast Guard!

Just found this on youtube..its a very cool video showing the USCG doing their thing, helping those in need. Just want to say thanks for all that you do!

This guy also has a couple of follow up vids in his profile, check them out,

On behalf of my son who pilots the HH65 Dolphin helicopters and did a lot of rescues off of cruise ships when he was stationed in Miami . . . thank you.

He loves the Coast Guard and is about to make Lt. Commander. Can we say proud? :p

Archived