Refuse to Sign Minor Consent Form

myers0214

Officially, people travelling to Mexico and the Dominican Republic need documentation if they are travelling with a child who does not have both parents with them. They won't be needing the paperwork coming in, but getting out of the country. The reason these countries put this in place is to prevent child kidnappings. They lost so many of their own kids to illegal adoption and trafficking they had to do something.

Of course, a Western looking kid with a Seapass is unlikely to be an abductee from a Mexican point of view. Unfortunately, the European airline I worked for which flew to Cancun did rigorously enforce this, not letting divorced parents taking children on the plane without the necessary paperwork. What we sometimes did when they had the divorce/custody papers with them is send them to the Mexican embassy where they could get so sort of notarized letter.

I have been reading this post and am now concerned. My husband and I have raised our granddaughter since she was 2. Both parents are unfit. Her parents never married. We went to court and got legal custody of her years ago. Her aunts and I were talking about taking her on a cruise, she is now 11 yrs. old. There would not be a "male" with us just her, me and 2 of her aunts. We have the same last name but she doesn't look like us, she is biracial. Would I need a form signed by both parents? Would the custody papers be enough?

My DH & I took my nephew on our last cruise with us. My sister did sign a paper giving us permission to take him out of the country.

Carnival never asked for any such paper. We filled out his funpass ahead of time and gave his birth certificate at the port.

We travelled to Grand Cayman, Jamaica & Keywest.

If you have it I would bring your original marraige cert. to this mean man, showing the same last name as your son. Just in case, but I really don't think you'll have a problem.

So sorry you have to deal with this when you all should be soooo excited to take a well desearved vacation!!

I would never advocate such a thing (;)), but you could always just forge it.

It's unlikely that anyone would request to see it anyway.

The letter has to be notarized, and the notary will ask the signatory to sign it before them, as well as show ID to determine the signatory is who they say they are.

I have been reading this post and am now concerned. My husband and I have raised our granddaughter since she was 2. Both parents are unfit. Her parents never married. We went to court and got legal custody of her years ago. Her aunts and I were talking about taking her on a cruise, she is now 11 yrs. old. There would not be a "male" with us just her, me and 2 of her aunts. We have the same last name but she doesn't look like us, she is biracial. Would I need a form signed by both parents? Would the custody papers be enough?

Bring the custody papers. Chances are you're not going to be asked for anything, especially if you ARE NOT going to Mexico.

The letter has to be notarized, and the notary will ask the signatory to sign it before them, as well as show ID to determine the signatory is who they say they are.

Not if you know a notary. ;)

If the OP has sole custody, then this is all moot anyway. Just bring the custody order.

Not if you know a notary. ;)

I know you're kidding, but I know notaries who have lost their commissions on account of doing things like this -- "favors for friends" and whatnot. It's illegal, at least where I hold my commission.

If the OP has sole custody, then this is all moot anyway. Just bring the custody order.

True enough.

If you find out that you may not need this "letter", you should also try to anticipate wha the boys father will do should you still decide to go, knowing his wishes against the trip.

MrPete brings up an excellent point. We don't want to hear about this on CNN, or worse, Maury!!

I know you're kidding, but I know notaries who have lost their commissions on account of doing things like this -- "favors for friends" and whatnot. It's illegal, at least where I hold my commission.

He may've been kidding but I have had friends who are notaries do notary "favors" for me when I lived in another state. I think it happens. However, in this case, there is not a snowball's chance in Hades that I'd forge anything. Knowing the father's stance going in, all hell would break loose if he raised a stink if they go anyway, and it was discovered the letter had been forged.

We have just been informed by my son's father that he will not sign the minor consent form for my son to go on our cruise. Just wondering if this has happened to anybody and what they have done. We have thought about contacting the court to try and get a document stating that he is allowed to travel but our cruise leaves in 13 days and I don't know if we have the time to do that. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You only NEED it to get into Mexico...however, some custody agreements state you have to get permission from the parent to take them out of the country. So, regardless of whether you CAN take him or not, you need to deal with the father. He could, in theory, pursue charges if you take him out of the country without his permission. Since he is being a "stick-in-the-mud", as another poster so nicely put it, I would be concerned about what he might do if you take your child without his signing off on the paperwork.

Regardless, the court, if it gets that far, will not view your ex-hubby very fondly if he does not have a GOOD reason not to sign the paperwork.

No, there is nothing that states that I can't take him out of the country. The only thing it says is that I need to provide notification of travel plans and provide a way of communication and we have done all of that.

Thank you all for your help - I love cruise critic!

I did not see this before my post. Does it state anywhere in your custody agreement that you will follow state parenting-time (something similar) guidelines?

We have twice taken a teen friend of my niece, different name, and only once was she even asked if she were taken by force. I doubt they even know who is with who nor have time to check. I say go and unless he is vindictive enough to call the cruise line and start something you will be fine.

We have twice taken a teen friend of my niece, different name, and only once was she even asked if she were taken by force. I doubt they even know who is with who nor have time to check. I say go and unless he is vindictive enough to call the cruise line and start something you will be fine.

From the sounds of things, he is vindictive enough...he won't sign the paperwork. He has made his wishes known that he does not want her to take him out of the country...she could get herself into a world of p00p if she just goes anyway. In this case, initially anyways, the law is on his side. When all is said and done, if he does not have a good reason to do what he is doing, they will throw the book at him, and make him look like a total a$$ in court...and they won't forget it either...if they ever have to go to court again for something else. He is not being very smart...unless he honestly thinks she won't bring their child back...

I've taken my grandson cruising once a year since he was 8 years old; the last one in January 2009, he was 17.

Through the years, I've been asked for the consent form several times and he has been gently questioned several times.

If they ask and you don't have it, they can deny you boarding. While it's true that Mexico requires it, it's equally true that Immigration and Homeland Security also require the form.... It's all about preventing child abductions.

With the boy being 15, there may not be an issue. Those 16 and up don't need one for cruising purposes.....

You could get a letter from a family attorney stating you have full, legal custody of the boy --- if that is true. If you have joint custody, you may have problems.

Best bet is to get him a passport for future travel.

If the father is a big enough jerk to deny his signature, he may be a big enough jerk to contact Carnival to make it clear to them that he is not giving permission. That being the case, Carnival would likely take measures to protect themselves against a lawsuit. For that reason I would be very cautious about simply ignoring the paperwork and going anyways.

"Hope for the best, but plan for the worst." Contact your attorney to discuss this matter. Their opinion would be a lot better than those of us who have watched too many episodes of "Law and Order" or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If the father is a big enough jerk to deny his signature, he may be a big enough jerk to contact Carnival to make it clear to them that he is not giving permission. That being the case, Carnival would likely take measures to protect themselves against a lawsuit. For that reason I would be very cautious about simply ignoring the paperwork and going anyways.

"Hope for the best, but plan for the worst." Contact your attorney to discuss this matter. Their opinion would be a lot better than those of us who have watched too many episodes of "Law and Order" or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I agree wholeheartedly...

I agree as well. The father is being a jerk.

My other concern is taking the boy on the cruise, with the father objecting from the child's perspective. The child would be allowed to go against his father's wishes and encouraged to do so. While I think the dad is a complete moron and doing this for spite, I just hate to see kids do things that their parent(s) do not approve of, no matter how much of an imbecile the objecting parent is.

I have teenage son, while we do not have a custody situation, teens have a mind of their own. And if's ok to do something that dad doesn't approve of this time, maybe it's ok to do something mom doesn't approve of next time, and so forth.

That's my biggest concern.

What a jerk. My best friend has an ex like this. I just hate what it does to the kids. And he would be a big enough a$$ to call the police and have them waiting at the cruise terminal.

So sorry OP! Maybe the your ex will come around and sign the paper.

No, there is nothing that states that I can't take him out of the country. The only thing it says is that I need to provide notification of travel plans and provide a way of communication and we have done all of that.

In that case I would be very nice until the cruise. I wouldn't want him running off to court to try to block you from leaving the country with your son.

You have legal custody. Just bring the papers that should be fine.

So Carnival can do what? Nothing? It's not their requirement. It's the requirement of certain countries. Carnival can't even get their own policies right most times, what makes you think they're going to be knowledgable enough about the various child kidnapping laws of the Caribbean basin, much less act on a random phone call they can in no way verify? We're talking about Carnival Cruise Lines here, folks.

Archived