Refuse to Sign Minor Consent Form

myers0214

In that case I would be very nice until the cruise. I wouldn't want him running off to court to try to block you from leaving the country with your son.

Or they could lawyer up and get a court order forcing the father to sign.

Personally, depending on itinerary, I'd take my chances with no letter if it's going to be a major process to get one.

I've taken my grandson cruising once a year since he was 8 years old; the last one in January 2009' date=' he was 17.

Through the years, I've been asked for the consent form several times and he has been gently questioned several times.

If they ask and you don't have it, they can deny you boarding. While it's true that Mexico requires it, it's equally true that Immigration and Homeland Security also require the form.... It's all about preventing child abductions.

With the boy being 15, there may not be an issue. Those 16 and up don't need one for cruising purposes.....

You could get a letter from a family attorney stating you have full, legal custody of the boy --- if that is true. If you have joint custody, you may have problems.

Best bet is to get him a passport for future travel.[/quote']

14 not 15

I have a situation like yours. I am a single parent and the father refused to sign the consent form. I called everyone you could think of to try to find out what to do since I did not have sole custody. I feel your pain. Just recently I decided not to take my daughter because I felt like she had already been let down by her dad and I didn't want to risk taking her and having her be let down all over again if for some reason we were denied boarding. I cancelled the trip for her / I'm still going She will be on Spring Break during the week of the cruise so I arranged for her to visit her favorite cousin in Maryland instead. I have never been negative toward her father so I was shocked when he would not sign the letter. I got my money back. My mom has agrred to take the plane ticket off my hands so I really didn't loose any money / what a blessing

I am disappointed by her father's behavior but in my mind what comes around goes around so he'll get all that HATE right back. I hope everything works out for you and your family

Haven't read whole thread - but have run up against this sorta before when the ex and I weren't getting along. We had joint custody. I was taking the kids on a 9-day cruise. They were 17 and 12. I didn't ask permission or get him to sign anything - I knew not only would he likely not do it just to be a PITA, but he might cause trouble trying to stop us. Sooo - I dropped a letter into the mail to him the day we left that were out of the country on vacation and that my attorney had the details if needed. I looked at our divorce settlement and in it was some boilerplate language that either parent had the right to take the kids on trips/vacations - and it was signed by a judge. I took that with me but never needed it.

We have just been informed by my son's father that he will not sign the minor consent form for my son to go on our cruise. Just wondering if this has happened to anybody and what they have done. We have thought about contacting the court to try and get a document stating that he is allowed to travel but our cruise leaves in 13 days and I don't know if we have the time to do that. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a single parent and have taken my three kids on several cruises and not once has anyone ever told me that i needed a form or asked me about a form when we got off the ship. All three have been to cozumel several times with no problem. I have primary custody of my children, if that matters. The point is no one ever has said anything ever to me. I would just go.

My 15 year old stepson is cruising with us for the first time in May, and while his Dad is okay with the trip he is out of state and not always reliable. We had planned a trip to MX last year with him that changed to Disney, but in preparation we just got him a passport.

I'd try for the passport next time he has to be nice to you so he can't hold this over your head next time.

My son is 15 and has been looking forward to this cruise for over a year. My husband and I will be going on the cruise with him and our three other children. It just never occurred to me that he would not give consent. He can be very mean and nasty just didn't know he would be this mean. My son has tried to get him to sign it to no avail.

We are going to Cozumel but he can stay on the ship if necessary. So maybe we will just try going and see what happens.

I've taken my 13 yr old son on two cruises without this form, both went to Cozumel and no one asked us a thing. He was able to get off the boat and enjoy the island with the rest of us. I think you just have to be prepared that they CAN deny boarding if they want to, but like I said, no one has ever asked to see that form. Good luck!

Again, your concern should be less about "can I take him without the signed paper". The answer to that question is yes you can, (except Mexico). That has been established. What you need to be worried about is the results of doing so...and I don't mean the problems you MIGHT have with Carnival. If you break the law and leave the country, it becomes a federal matter. That means, as crazy as this sounds, possible kidnapping charges (or something as ridiculously similar), if he wants to press the issue. CONSULT A LAWYER...

Whether he is justified in his actions or not, he could make things miserable for you for a LONG time.

So, I have a question:

What if we are in Cozumel, and one of us (myself or my husband) need to go back to the ship...and then the other decides to go back with our son. So will only having one parent with him coming through the mexico port be a problem

ETA: We are married and we are both his parents....just asking as a just in case.

Not to try to be negative, but does your custody agreement say that you need his consent to take your son out of the country? If yes, and you do not get the consent you could be in violation of the agreement. If your ex is mean and nasty, is there any chance he could then call the cops on you as soon as you leave the country? I don't think it would matter whether or not you get off the ship.

I would at least consult with your lawyer as a minimum.

Most custody agreements (I'm reading my personal documents which are in standard format....) state that the primary custodial parent (even in joint custody arrangements) have the right to determine the residence and location of the child.

My lawyer told me this was how I could get out of the rule because my ex refused to sign. Even went so far as to write a letter stating that I did NOT have permission.

I've always carried my custody papers with me but I after four trips to Mexico, we have never encountered anybody asking questions in Mexico (or other ports). The only questions we've encountered were the customs agent in Galveston and he just asked "Is this your mom?" type of questions.

Good luck and have fun.

So, I have a question:

What if we are in Cozumel, and one of us (myself or my husband) need to go back to the ship...and then the other decides to go back with our son. So will only having one parent with him coming through the mexico port be a problem?

The rule is that they should not let you back on (the Mexican authorities), but I have never been asked to prove that my 7 year old son is mine...or prove that his mom is OK with him being alone with me...

.....I've been on 8 cruises with my now 12 yo (soon to be 13) son. I have gotten a letter from my ex each time I have cruised. I've never been asked to produce the document. I've gone to Cozumel 4 times and Progresso once.

That being said, now I'll probably be asked every single time. It's just like when the sports announcer says "He hasn't missed a field goal inside the 40 all year long". Next thing you know, he pulls a Norwood, wide right.

;)

wasiii

The rule is that they should not let you back on (the Mexican authorities), but I have never been asked to prove that my 7 year old son is mine...or prove that his mom is OK with him being alone with me...

Well..we have never left eachothers side in port before...so I will make sure to continue that as a just in case.

Thanks for the info.

I took by 15 yr old daughter on a cruise a couple of years ago, I had the signed letter but was never asked for it. As a matter of fact since in Cozumel you dock right where the shops are, my daughter took my Grandmother back on the ship (no parent with her at the time) and then came back on her own to meet me on the dock.:)

Not if you know a notary. ;)

If the OP has sole custody, then this is all moot anyway. Just bring the custody order.

Sorry ... not all notaries... there is no way I would knowingly notarize a forged document....and the only way to keep from notarizing a forged document is to have it signed in front of me.

OP, I think if he wants to be difficult you can too. Let him know you'll stay on the ship in Mexico, which is the only place that requires his signiture, but he will be hearing from your attorney requesting a increase for Child support, considering the economy is so bad.

Or he could just be a human being and let his son enjoy his vacay, his choice.

Let us know how this turns out.

Cheers and good luck, Carole

OP, I think if he wants to be difficult you can too. Let him know you'll stay on the ship in Mexico, which is the only place that requires his signiture, but he will be hearing from your attorney requesting a increase for Child support, considering the economy is so bad.

Or he could just be a human being and let his son enjoy his vacay, his choice.

Let us know how this turns out.

Cheers and good luck, Carole

Support has nothing to do with the state of the economy. The economy is bad for him too... It is based on their incomes. The only thing that will change the support amount is a change in financial status or a change in the custody arrangement...

However, if he has no real reason to do what he is doing, the custody status may very well change...leading to more support for the mother.

Support has nothing to do with the state of the economy. The economy is bad for him too... It is based on their incomes. The only thing that will change the support amount is a change in financial status or a change in the custody arrangement...

However, if he has no real reason to do what he is doing, the custody status may very well change...leading to more support for the mother.

I have no idea how the laws for child support work and it would be expensive for the OP do petition for this, however I do know how the minds of exjerks work, and being threatened with possibility of more child support often makes them a lot more cooperative.

Cheers

I had the form a few years ago for my Daughter had no problem getting the X wife to sign. BUT after all the hassles of getting the paper signed being she was out of the country, jumping though all the hoops, we arrived in Tampa (going to Mexico) and they never asked for the form:rolleyes:.

Hopefully your X will not be nasty and let you take him. People can be such jerks at times

I have no idea how the laws for child support work and it would be expensive for the OP do petition for this, however I do know how the minds of exjerks work, and being threatened with possibility of more child support often makes them a lot more cooperative.

Cheers

I did not mean to attack you at all...I am sorry if it came across that way.

I am a father with custody and my ex is constantly trying to get out of paying her $200/month support for our two children. She thinks that is just too much to pay...even with myself having custody 90% of the time. It is supposed to be 80% of the time, but she bails on them 10% of the time. So, believe me, I know what an exjerk is like. I had to pay her $500 to get her to sign the paperwork allowing me to take them on the cruise with me. She knew it would cost me more time and money to take her to court...

I did not mean to attack you at all...I am sorry if it came across that way.

I am a father with custody and my ex is constantly trying to get out of paying her $200/month support for our two children. She thinks that is just too much to pay...even with myself having custody 90% of the time. It is supposed to be 80% of the time, but she bails on them 10% of the time. So, believe me, I know what an exjerk is like. I had to pay her $500 to get her to sign the paperwork allowing me to take them on the cruise with me. She knew it would cost me more time and money to take her to court...

ugh deadbeat parents, whether male of female just tick me off:mad:

I guess it just shows you what kind of person she is, nothing good there huh? Poor kids, lucky they have a great dad!!!

Cheers, Carole

It's a legal requirement to enter Mexico. You don't have to have one for the cruise, just if you want to get off in Mexico.

It is not required to enter Mexico for the day from a cruise ship.

I 'm so sorry to hear this. Please contact your attorney first thing in the morning and have your custody papers with you and go over them with him or her. Obviously an attorney will advise on what options and actions to take. I have taken my minor aged daughter out of the country several times on cruises and never even thought about getting paperwork signed. This was many years ago starting when she was 11, she's 26 now. I was never asked to produce documentation. That being said hubby and I have taken our 4 year old grandson on a cruise last November and will again this July and have gotten a notarized document from my daughter to take him out of the country. We got my grandson a passport as this is becoming the standard now. His father died before his birth so we bring his father's death certificate with us as well to show that my daughter is sole parent (they were not married prior to his death). I had it indicated on the document that my husband and/or myself (in the event that my husband or myself for some reason didn't make it onto the port) had permission to take him out of the country. Carnival didn't ask us for any documentation upon check in and neither did anyone in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan or Grand Cayman. I wish you the best.

Archived