surprising the kids with a cruise...help!

FinneganGirl

We are surprising our kids - ages 15, 12, 9 and 6 - with a cruise in a mere four weeks. I am so excited to see their reaction, I can hardly stand it! Anyway, while this cruise is for everyone, we decided to take the plunge to celebrate our son's 16th birthday, which will be right in the middle of the trip.

I have done so much research, my eyes actually ache and I need some help. I am torn between NCL Jewel and Carnival Dream, both Western Caribbean itineraries. Have never been on either, and am a little stressed about making the right decision. We don't travel as often as we would like to, so it is so important to me that this trip is wonderful for them. My son will be leaving for college in just two short years, and this may be the last family trip we are able to take.

I am really against the wire for time here and have to make a decision fast. I know there are probably more similarities than differences, but I need some information that will push me toward one or the other. Should we do NCL Jewel or Carnival Dream? Help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. What a nice surprise! I think a new ship is always a good ship. I would read reviews of both and see what you think. Both are comparable lines, so I would try to get bigger/better cabins, so cost is an issue too.

If you haven't booked a cruise yet, for four weeks from now (right in the middle of the heavily-cruised Spring Break), you may have some real problems finding anything available or affordable at this late date. You indicate that there are six of you, so you will most likely need two cabins. I don't mean to sound negative, but your choices may be limited. Do you have cabins on hold? Will you be flying or driving to port? I think it's great what you're doing, and really hope you can make it work for you. Good luck!

There is not a ton of availability, but there is some on nearly every cruise we have looked into. I think the key here for us is to be creative, meaning that if we don't have adjoining or even rooms next to each other, we will have to be ok with that.

I'm also looking at Royal Caribbean, so if anyone has thoughts about that one compared to the two listed above, I would be so glad for your input!

There is not a ton of availability, but there is some on nearly every cruise we have looked into. I think the key here for us is to be creative, meaning that if we don't have adjoining or even rooms next to each other, we will have to be ok with that.

I'm also looking at Royal Caribbean, so if anyone has thoughts about that one compared to the two listed above, I would be so glad for your input!

RCI will probably be more expensive all-around, especially on the newer ships. Are you looking at a 7-night cruise? Or a shorter cruise? Part of your decision will depend on the embarkation port, and whether you'll be driving or flying to that port. Your cabins could well be on different decks, as well. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out well for you! I would just advise you not to wait too long, and to purchase trip insurance, as your US health card will not be accepted onboard, and probably not in port. Check your plan.

I just went to a booking site and threw 3 people in each cabin and did a list by PRICE ;) -- this is what I found....

there was actual a ROYAL CARIBBEAN ship :eek: that popped up before some others -- April 11 -- LIBERTY OF THE SEAS -- yeah I was actually very shocked -- Western Caribbean

So check THAT one

Norwegian Jewel came up at a low price and surprisingly the Crown Princess - which is Princess Cruise line, 7 Night Western Caribbean

And Carnival Liberty and Carnival Glory came up before Carnival Dream. Lots and LOTS of availability.

I would go with whichever line gives you the most cabin(s) for the best price! With that many bodies, you'll need 2 cabins (unless you book a suite) just so everyone can move about!

ANY/EITHER of those lines will give you a fabulous time! Lucky kids!

I would definitely stick with a ship that has two cabins near each other (within a stone's throw) and mark the booking "no upgrade" so neither group is moved. There has been emergencies at night (Princess Star a few years ago comes to mind), and tho' they are rare, you will want to be able to get to your kids' cabin quickly.

Also set down some rules, such as they are not to allow anyone in their cabin (aside from the steward) without your permission, and conversely, they are not to go to any cabin w/o your permission. Also establish a time frame and place where the whole family touches base.

Thought OP said "four short weeks from now", so RCI Liberty of April 11 might be out, as that is exactly one week after Easter, which is on April 4. Unless that works for you - although Spring Break might be over for the most part. cb at sea and Cruisin'Chick have some very good advice for you. If your kids haven't cruised before, I think they'll love any ship! Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Since it sounds like you've already done some research and chosen a few ships/itineraries that appeal to you, I'll just tell you what I know about NCL. The NCL Freestyle concept definitely works for my family. We LOVE not having to be anywhere we haven't decided to be - including a dining room. Certainly if you have an excursion booked or a specialty dining reservation you have a schedule to keep, but those are completely up to you to book if you want to. Otherwise, you can just relax and eat when you're hungry - and I can't say enough how nice it is to get back after a long hot day in port and not have to worry about making it to the dining room for an assigned dining time. Of course, with the casual seating, you may experience waits depending on when you arrive at the dining room, but so far in four cruises we've never had one (but we've never cruised over spring break and it's all about crowds and competition for tables when that happens). It's also really nice to be able to go toa specialty restaurant to celebrate a birthday if it's in your budget - I've spent two of mine in the Teppanyaki restaurant on NCL ships. :)

Hello! what a great thing to do for your kids, shows what loving parents you are. We are taking my 8 year old on his first cruise this weekend on the Liberty of the Seas. I think they have openings for the western carribean sailings all through march and april. The freedom class has a ton of things to keep your kids entertained while you also have some fun yourself. Liberty,Independence and Freedom are all great ships and I think you would really have a great time. We are very excited to go ourselves and I will be sure to post pictures. If you decide between the Carnival Dream and the NCL Jewel I would choose the dream as I think it has more for the kids to keep them entertained. Thats just my two cents worth. You may also want to consider Princess which has the Emerald of the seas, ect.. which are close to the same size ship as the Royal Caribbean freedom class of ships and look to be lots of fun. :)

Archived