Best place to snorkel? Cozumel vs Grand Cayman

Frankly,Darling

Hi, all:

I also posted this on the Cozumel board, but wanted to post hear for the G.C. perspective. This will be my first cruise and my first time visiting the Caribbean. At either the Cozumel or G.C. stops, I would like to snorkel as I've heard both are two of the best places in the world for snorkeling/diving. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any recommendations. I would like to also spend some time on 7-mile beach in G.C... maybe combine it with a Stingray City snorkel; however, I think I'm more interested in seeing a bunches of brightly colored fish. If you do have a recommendation, any particular spots/companies or am I best going with an RCCL tour? Thanks... I know this is going to be a great vacation!

Hi, all:

I also posted this on the Cozumel board, but wanted to post hear for the G.C. perspective. This will be my first cruise and my first time visiting the Caribbean. At either the Cozumel or G.C. stops, I would like to snorkel as I've heard both are two of the best places in the world for snorkeling/diving. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any recommendations. I would like to also spend some time on 7-mile beach in G.C... maybe combine it with a Stingray City snorkel; however, I think I'm more interested in seeing a bunches of brightly colored fish. If you do have a recommendation, any particular spots/companies or am I best going with an RCCL tour? Thanks... I know this is going to be a great vacation!

I would like to know this as well! We are on the Legend next week and I have two 19 year olds that want to snorkel and trying to find the best place.

I think that Stingray City is something that is not to be missed. We went with Captain Marvin, and it was wonderful. The price was great (around $40, I think), and the half day trip included a snorkeling stop. We snorkeled in Cozumel, also, but it just didn't compare to the stingrays. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I was absolutely TERRIFIED at first. The tour guide from Captain Marvin's was great, friendly, knowledgeable, and respectful and patient with everyones fears.

ya know ... this is a difficult question to answer

here are some points to consider:

- you can snorkel over sand but much of what you will see is sand

- the reef at 7 mile beach is about 3 miles off shore ... 'tween there and the beach is sand

- there are places you can jump in and see reef and fish (Eden Rock / Sunset House) but there is no sand beach . . . cuz here you are on coral reef

This is one of THE most beautiful places to snorkel ! We did an excursion like previous poster with Capt. Marvin. My then 18 yr. old son says the stingrays part was one his favorite all time memories....(7 yrs ago.) The snorkel part of the excursion is gorgeous with stops along a coral reef. Our family liked the snorkeling better there than Hawaii:)

At either the Cozumel or G.C. stops, I would like to snorkel as I've heard both are two of the best places in the Caribbean for snorkeling/diving.

There, fixed it for you.

Of the two, I'd pick Grand Cayman for snorkeling. Do a tour that takes you to Stingray City, then to a reef or two for some snorkeling.

I can't make a personal recommendation for an operator, other than I wouldn't do the ship's tour.

If you want a nice beach day, that would be Cozumel. Nachi Cocom for All Inclusive, Paradise Beach club if you want activities, or Playa Palancar if you want quite.

I have snorkeled in both places and Grand Cayman was better by far. We did Stingray city and then took a short boat ride over to a reef for snorkeling. It was absolutely beautiful. I didn't want to leave. The snorkeling in Cozumel did not even compare.

Archived