RCCL vs. NCL

amartin042

I know what you mean about NCL. I have been on one NCL cruise, and am unsure if there would be another. Our balcony cabin was "surface clean", but had stains on the sofa & carpet, and rust in the bathroom and balcony. The closet door was broken, etc. Plus I found most of the staff (with the exception of a few greats) to be no where near as attentive as other lines. We were on Pride of Aloha. Although the vacation was amazing, since we were in such a beautiful location, it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth for NCL. If the right price/itin. came along we'd probably book it, but that's after looking at all other lines. My first RCCL is coming up, and I've heard so many good things about them.

I know what you mean about NCL. I have been on one NCL cruise, and am unsure if there would be another. Our balcony cabin was "surface clean", but had stains on the sofa & carpet, and rust in the bathroom and balcony. The closet door was broken, etc. Plus I found most of the staff (with the exception of a few greats) to be no where near as attentive as other lines. We were on Pride of Aloha. Although the vacation was amazing, since we were in such a beautiful location, it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth for NCL. If the right price/itin. came along we'd probably book it, but that's after looking at all other lines. My first RCCL is coming up, and I've heard so many good things about them.

I don't know when you sailed POA, but I am sure you realize POA isn't the typical NCL ship...The all American crew seems to make some difference. You may want to watch prices and if the right one does come along, give them another chance..

Nita

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat with the OP (no pun intended);). We're booked on RCI Freedom of the Seas in July. My husband called me from work, just this morning, and said he had heard about the new, fabulous Norwegian Epic. We will be traveling with three pre-teen/teen sons, who are very active and sports enthusiasts. Husband though Epic looked just as good or better than Freedom. Epic even has batting cages....huge deal for my boys!!!!

I called NCL for a price check on the Epic, for the five of us, two connecting outside staterooms, the Epic would be about $1000 more. However, we would be getting balconies on the Epic, and boy do those rooms look nice.

In fact, the Epic looks amazing all the way around!!! That being said, I have spent so much time researching RCI and the Freedom ships, I have no idea what the major differences would be on NCL. Is it worth spending the extra money for that brand new Epic ship??

Also, I'm hearing that RCI has sub-par food too. What are the food and service like on NCL????

I have been on 18 RCCL cruises. Until about a year ago, they had excellent food and service, but in the past year they have cut down on the crew and the food is not as fresh. I am going on my first NCL cruise since 2000 this year and, after reading these boards , am truly looking forward to it.

I am affraid I am a rearity by prefering NCL (Starcruises) over our experiance with RCCL.

I have cruised in a balcony on Norwegian Wind, Suites both times on Virgo and a Grand suite on Legend OTS. The politest way to discribe my experiance on Legend is highly disappointing. While, when my wife and I walked off the ship we swore that we would never set foot on a RCCL ship again, we have since calmed down. It will be a few years before we try the line again and we will go for a bigger and better ship next time, in the mean time our plans for 2011,12,&13 all include NCL.

My preference for NCL is that the staff attitude towards you seems more genuine. I cant really discribe what it was, but on RCCL we felt like we were in the wrong place all the time. It was noticable that staff attitudes changed only when you passed over your "sea pass" due to the different colour, I have never felt that on another ship.

As far as other problems go with RCCL, over time, and talking to those who have cruised with them on other ships, we have put most of them down to the ship and not nessisarly the cruise line. I do agree that the food, when available, on RCCL is good, however our final mornings breakfast was the worst meal experiance I have ever had anywhere in the world.

I am looking forward to the Pearl which I believe will not disappoint us.

I am in the same boat with the OP (no pun intended);). We're booked on RCI Freedom of the Seas in July. My husband called me from work, just this morning, and said he had heard about the new, fabulous Norwegian Epic. We will be traveling with three pre-teen/teen sons, who are very active and sports enthusiasts. Husband though Epic looked just as good or better than Freedom. Epic even has batting cages....huge deal for my boys!!!!

I called NCL for a price check on the Epic, for the five of us, two connecting outside staterooms, the Epic would be about $1000 more. However, we would be getting balconies on the Epic, and boy do those rooms look nice.

In fact, the Epic looks amazing all the way around!!! That being said, I have spent so much time researching RCI and the Freedom ships, I have no idea what the major differences would be on NCL. Is it worth spending the extra money for that brand new Epic ship??

Also, I'm hearing that RCI has sub-par food too. What are the food and service like on NCL????

I could have written this post!:D

My family has 4 cabins booked on RCCL Freedom, sailing in August 2010. Last night we gathered and discussed The Epic. This morning we switched our deposits over to The Epic. I have two teen boys and my sister has a 2 year old and my parents will be along with us also. The vote was unanimous! My parents sail mainly on RCCL so we shall see. I have been on both lines a few times but its been a while. I have a balcony for my husband and I and the boys have an inside, the price difference is $157 total more for The Epic. Really, really excited!

We have 34 cruises with RCL. However we took the Spirit out of NOLA at spring break. It had been over 10 years since our last NCL cruise. We found it a delightful cruise and have booked it B to B next Xmas because of it. Mostly they were very similar. You should have a great trip on NCL. It is ALWAYS good to try other lines.

Archived