Chops or Portofino's?

Does anyone know if you can order whatever you want, like in the MDR? For instance, what if you can't decide between 2 different appetizers or entrees, can you get both for the same price?

Yes, you can have more than one thing. I asked for an additional pasta entree for my husband and I to share since he was having lamb chops and I was having osso bucco and wanted to try one of the pasta dishes. Absolutely happy to do it for us. By the way, it was all delicious. This was at Portofinos a week ago tonight on the Independence.

We tried Chops a couple of years ago and didn't care for it. But I like to try things other than steak and DH didn't really care for the steak he got.

My son and DIL are going on the RC Freedom of the Seas and was wondering which restaurant, Chops or Portofino's, is best for their money. Can we see a copy of their menu's anywhere? Thanks.

We were just on FOS the first week of March. We wanted to see if any of the main dining wait staff from our cruise 2 years previous was still on the ship, as they were all exceptional. We found out that Adrian, who was the Matre'd previously, was managing Portafino's. When we went to see him, we decided to book an evening at the resturant. It was a phenomenal experience. We dined the night we were in St. Thomas, and we had a window seat. The view of the island at night was spectacular. The food was exceptional, and the presentation was so nice we had to take pictures! The seafood skewers were quite impressive, and the deserts - devine! Service was impecable! The couple that went with us felt it was probably the best dining experience they've ever had.

If you go tell Adrian we (John and Sue) highly recommended you! You won't be disappointed! Enjoy!

We tried Chops once on the Serenade on a 14-day cruise. It was my husband's birthday and the menu in the MDR didn't appeal, so we thought we would give it a try.

Some things I loved- we had a beautiful table for 2 by the window with an incredible view. I was also really impressed with the fact that they sent my bottle of wine from the MDR to the restaurant. And the mud pie for dessert was AMAZING. They brought out a SECOND dessert for my husband with Happy Birthday written on the plate- a very nice touch.

However, we weren't that impressed with service; we often had to wait for water refills, etc. It got even worse when towards the end of the meal, our waitstaff fawned over the couple next to us (we ate in the specialty restaurants each night and tipped well- they are CC friends of ours). It was weird to feel like a second class citizen when watching such a difference in service a half a foot away from us. The food was good but not excellent (for example, the tuna appetizer was great but the onion soup tasted just like the one in the MDR) and we both agreed that, based on our experience, it was hard to justify the price.

But we have another long cruise set up, on my birthday, so maybe we will give Portofino a try.

Archived