To lock the bag or to not...

dcshoe

I lock mine... end of discussion.

Once you had your bag over to the porter NO ONE will accept responsibility for it until it's in Carnival's possesion... on the ship.

I refuse to invite folks to dig through my things regardless of what I have in there.

Ditto!

I'm about to leave on a CCL cruise and wondering if I should lock my bad or not. There won't be any expensive things in there, but my clothes/extra bathing suits/shoes will all be in there and I don't want anything stolen. I may also have other liquids in there, besides the usual shampoo/soap/mouthwash/toothpaste/shaving cream. Will I be more likely to be searched if I have a lock on there, or do most people lock their bags?

We're 1st time cruisers with Carnival in June. The Carnival bochure clearly says 'Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked when handing it to the kerbside porter'. Yet the printed out FunPass contradicts this by saying 'Unlock luggage prior to giving it to the kerbside porter'.

So, even Carnival can't decide !

John

We're 1st time cruisers with Carnival in June. The Carnival bochure clearly says 'Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked when handing it to the kerbside porter'. Yet the printed out FunPass contradicts this by saying 'Unlock luggage prior to giving it to the kerbside porter'.

So, even Carnival can't decide !

John

And on their website it "recommends" that bags be unlocked. Confusing to say the least. But I still contend that Common Sense says lock my bag whenever it is out of my sight.

I've never locked my bag. Nothing of value is ever in there and I would prefer a potential thief use the zipper to find that out rather than a box cutter. At least I'll still have a suitcase when he is done.

In over 35 years of regular travel, I've never had a thing taken from my suitcase....nor has anyone put anything in it.....

Large, heavy suitcases locked up like Fort Knox would seem to be a thief magnet, I suppose.

Besides, if someone is determined to get in your luggage, nothing will stop him anyway.

DH made the call on this one to leave them unlocked as our meds and valuables were in our carry on's with us. I had liquid refreshments packed in the checked luggage. Everything made it to our cabin just fine. :D

Always lock mine when flying or cruising. Heck, even Homeland Security tells you to lock your bags especially if they are going to be out of your sight. It's not someone going thru my bags that bothers me.. heck if they "need" what I have that bad they can have it... I just don't want anyone PUTTING ANYTHING IN!! Yeah, call me paranoid!

Never locked and never will.......nothing of value in our checked luggage and locks will not stop someone from stealing the whole dang thing.......

The thought of someone putting something IN my luggage crosses my mind.

I have traveled with luggage locked and unlocked. I've migrated to locking it all the time now.

I dont ever lock my bags. I have never had anything stolen from them to date and I have been flying since 1984.

I agree with Raven. I have been flying and cruising for a very long time and I have never locked my bags and have never had anything lost or stolen. I guess it is a personal thing.

Lock your bags! You wouldn't leave your car or house unlocked...why would you leave your personal items unlocked?

If they need/want to get in, they'll either call you, or cut the lock...at least, you'll know they've been pawing thru your things.

LOCK YOUR BAGS!

I NEVER lock my car (in my drive) or lock my house - unless I'm gone on a cruise with my LOCKED luggage.

The thought of someone putting something IN my luggage crosses my mind.

I have traveled with luggage locked and unlocked. I've migrated to locking it all the time now.

Luggage comes with about 20 different compartments you would have to lock every nook and cranny to stop that kind of paranoia:D

Luggage comes with about 20 different compartments you would have to lock every nook and cranny to stop that kind of paranoia:D

No paranoia here. And a zip tie or luggage lock is very easy to defeat, i'm aware of this.

As someone else stated, why risk it? It's not worth it when you can protect your belongings and peace of mind with a $10 lock.

We own this TSA approved lock which alerts us if the TSA has opened it with a red tab. After our Legend cruise we returned home and the red tab was popped out, so we knew the TSA had opened our lock and searched our luggage.

Amazon.com has two of them for $7.75

.....TSA can't just push the red tab back in because the lock was not opened by combination?

:confused:

wasiii

PS. 12 cruises, I've always locked my luggage and never gotten called to the principal's office. That being said, probably from now on it'll just be the opposite.

LOL! OK locking every single pocket on a piece of luggage......is not being paranoid:confused: ROFLMAO!!!! Call it what you want:D

My primary pieces of luggage only have three compartments. My suit carrier has quite a few more.

The locking is just a minor deterent. But if I'm traveling with my firearm in my checked luggage you can bet that it will be locked.

My primary pieces of luggage only have three compartments. My suit carrier has quite a few more.

The locking is just a minor deterent. But if I'm traveling with my firearm in my checked luggage you can bet that it will be locked.

Your orignial reason was because you were afraid someone would put something in your luggage......not protecting your valuables........;)

That screams paranoia to me........but hey what do I know......I don't lock:D

Your orignial reason was because you were afraid someone would put something in your luggage......not protecting your valuables........;)

That screams paranoia to me........but hey what do I know......I don't lock:D

I'm typing on autopilot here. My intentions were not to convey that locking luggage to keep people from placing items in it was my primary purpose. Just something to consider.

On my next cruise I'll leave my luggage unlocked, just for you.

I'm typing on autopilot here. My intentions were not to convey that locking luggage to keep people from placing items in it was my primary purpose. Just something to consider.

On my next cruise I'll leave my luggage unlocked, just for you.

Nice.......the true attitude shines thru;)

Archived