Any difference booking flights through travel agent or airlines?

hedyc

I am getting a cheaper fare to Australia through Qantas than through any travel agent in Toronto. Any difference between booking with agent or airline when you know exactly what you want?

I always book my flights directly with the airlines now, usually via their own website. I use other websites to check prices. Most travel agents now charge a fee to book flights so by booking direct you save that fee. I use etickets wherever possible and you basically just show your id and credit card when checking in. No tickets to worry about. Go for it.:)

I am getting a cheaper fare to Australia through Qantas than through any travel agent in Toronto. Any difference between booking with agent or airline when you know exactly what you want?
Do you know why there is a difference? There are many cases now when the travel agent's higher price is simply because they have to add a service fee because they are no longer paid commission (or enough commission) by the airlines.

There are some differences, sometimes. There are times when you can get a much more personal service from a travel agent, particularly one with whom you've built up a personal rapport, or one who is physically close by whom you can drop in to visit. Also, if it's the same travel agent who is booking other parts of your trip, eg hotels or a cruise, it sometimes helps that one person has an overview of the whole of your trip.

Also, there are also sometimes some technical differences. Some travel agents are permitted to make bookings without having to issue a ticket until a particular deadline - so they take a deposit, and the balance is not payable until nearer the time they have to issue the ticket. This can help your cash flow. While the ticket is unissued, this usually leaves you with some flexibility to cancel, and only pay whatever the agent charges in that situation.

In contrast, there are many tickets booked directly with the airline where the ticket is issued as soon as you make the booking, so you have to pay in full at that time. And then the fare rules may mean that the whole fare is non-refundable from that point onwards.

Archived