Timing in Skagway

gridswaldtravlers

I checked out Sourdough Car Rental through a link someone provided. They guarantee your car will be there when you come to pick it up, whatever time you arrive. They are open 8 to 5 with an after hours drop. They do offer vans. I will probably switch to them because I prefer a van (we may need two even) and Avis opens at 9 on a Saturday and Sourdough opens at 8 and our ship arrives at 7.

Has anyone used Sourdough?

Jen in SoCal

Murray's guide is an on-line guide to the Klondike Highway with information in detail. It is designed to be used for those who chose to rent a car.

It is written by a local who posts on these boards frequently and is very helpful. It comes highly recommended by those who have used it. The new guide will not be out for 2010 until April. It used to be free, but now it is $5. We plan on buying one for our trip this summer.

Hope this helps!

Great... thank you for the info....

Murray's guide is an on-line guide to the Klondike Highway with information in detail. It is designed to be used for those who chose to rent a car.

It is written by a local who posts on these boards frequently and is very helpful. It comes highly recommended by those who have used it. The new guide will not be out for 2010 until April. It used to be free, but now it is $5. We plan on buying one for our trip this summer.

Hope this helps!

Just got the new 2010 Murray's guide this weekend. He also said he will have a few more updates soon. He mentioned to me email him again a couple of weeks before my cruise (May 15th) and he will provide me with any additional updates that he had made. Still only $5.00, the information is very good.:)

We were not able to reserve a van on the website so we reserved two cars. When we got there, they offered us the van instead. So there ARE vans. However, I think we were simply very lucky. It is best to call ahead.

Reviewing the information we found here, I called the Anchorage Avis office (airport location) and talked to one of the managers. They do keep a manifest there until the Skagway office opens. He said right now they have 2 vans scheduled for Skagway. He said once the office opens and they deliver the vehicles, the actual numbers could change. Of course the day we needed, both were already booked.

They expect the Skagway office to be staffed around the 8th of May.

Just got the new 2010 Murray's guide this weekend. He also said he will have a few more updates soon. He mentioned to me email him again a couple of weeks before my cruise (May 15th) and he will provide me with any additional updates that he had made. Still only $5.00, the information is very good.:)

We got our Murray's guide as well this weekend, it makes good reading to know what to expect when we make the drive. The process was simple and he was very quick in responding.

Archived