Decision Time! Captain Nautica or Powercat to St. John

Crystalcat

I sure I won't be disappointed with either excursion, but I would like the opinions of any one who has been on either of these (or both :eek:) to say what they like or didn't like so much about these trips. Also how many people were on the excursion when you went - my husband wants to do a group thing, but doesn't care to be part of a large herd :rolleyes:. We will also have 2 sons (13 and nearly 15) with us.

Thanks!

Cathy

We did Capt. Nautica 4 yrs. ago. It was a small group of about 12 maybe. The ride was quite the adventure. They hit the waves and you fly up in the air out of your seats. We had a blast. They took us to a couple of snorkle areas and then to a private little beach where we just relaxed in the water for a bit. We really enjoyed it, but it is for sure not a gentle relaxing ride if that is what you want. They served us soft drinks and a plate of shrimp cocktail and some little snack. The crew was very nice. Have fun in St. Thomas. We will be there in June.

Maudde,

Thanks for the info as I, too, am trying to decide between these excursions. Did you feel like you got to see a lot while snorkeling (colorful fish? stingrays? turtles? coral?) just curious. Also were you snorkeling in open water or in coves?

From what I can recall, we did see lots of different fish. Some saw a baracuda, but I didn't. We did see some turtles. I wouldn't say a lot of coral. We were in coves rather than open water, but the boat was out aways from land, so there was a lot of water to snorkel around in. In June we are going on a private sail to St. Johns, so that should be fun. With Capt. Nautica though, the ride is part of the adventure.

I sure I won't be disappointed with either excursion, but I would like the opinions of any one who has been on either of these (or both :eek:) to say what they like or didn't like so much about these trips. Also how many people were on the excursion when you went - my husband wants to do a group thing, but doesn't care to be part of a large herd :rolleyes:. We will also have 2 sons (13 and nearly 15) with us.

Thanks!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

My girlfriend and our son (16) are booked on the powercat. We are from Toronto as well, and on the same cruise.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I have done two tours with Captain Nautica and loved them both. They were relatively the same, but the locations had changed since our first adventure. The boat ride is thrilling and I would think your boys would love it! We saw stingrays, turtles, baracuda, lots of fish....it was great! We would love to go with them again in November, but we are traveling with our 3 year old and 8 year old....and they are too young for the excursion. My husband even has a Captain Nautica t-shirt....which by the way I had to purchase from Florida once we got home because we didn't have any extra cash on us during the excursion...so remember to bring some cash for tips and t-shirts! From what I remember they served shrimp and fruit on the way back plus soft drinks and water.

Archived