Passports going up

srm54

Why is it that everything I read says "proposed" rate hike and yet the above article said purchased before Mar 7th. The State Department website has absolutely nothing on it about an increase since it is proposed and has not passed yet or even if it will.

I was at a travel show in Los Angeles and was told by the exhibitor from the State Department it was 3/9. Was at the post office last Saturday processing my passport and the post office rep said they had received a circular stating it was 3/9. Regardless, if you need one it would be better to go 3/7 and not take a chance.

Also says proposed

Waiting for the Federal comment period to close. Maybe people will get angry enough that they delay it. But the way the government keeps uping prices and the fact they have already sent notification out to their processors, I wouldn't count on it.:)

in general, to the best of my knowledge, the proposed rule does not simply go into effect immediately following the comment period. Comments get reviewed and an approval process still needs to take place. I would have expected that if the costs were truly going up within a week, we would have heard about it in the mainstream media by now.

I'm good for another 10 years too, so timing is good here also.

Still, an extra $35 spread out over the course of the 10 year life of a passport is so negligible, it's hardly worth mentioning!

At least ya'll have 10 years, mine is 5 years and cost 97.00

Hi Everyone!!!!

I called the Postal Service today and they said it is still just talk, and will go up, they do not have a date as of yet!!!!! and when they do they will give us time to get one before the price hike!

I still have to get one for my kids! I will make an appointment soon! DO not want to pay extra $35 per child! They are 16 and 17 now so they will have the adult fee, but good for 10 years!

Just wanted to let you all know what I found out today! ;)

Why is it that everything I read says "proposed" rate hike and yet the above article said purchased before Mar 7th. The State Department website has absolutely nothing on it about an increase since it is proposed and has not passed yet or even if it will.

You didn't look in the right place. It IS on their website:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_4734.html

My Dh expires next June...Hmmmm my have to get it renewd now...save a bit of money...lol

Many countries require that passports expiring within 6 months are no longer accepted for entry.

A little known fact: passports are good for identification purposes 10 years after expiration. I use my current passport for flying & boarding, but when going ashore I take my expired passport~~!!~~

Many countries require that passports expiring within 6 months are no longer accepted for entry.

A little known fact: passports are good for identification purposes 10 years after expiration. I use my current passport for flying & boarding, but when going ashore I take my expired passport~~!!~~

Rather not chance it would rather have good one and not an expired one..

Archived