Is the Oosterdam much like X Millenium Class ships?

DavidLloyd

A little advice please . . . do the HAL Vista class ships, Oosterdam in particular, compare closely to the Celebrity Millinium class ships? We love Celebrity and Infinity/Millie, etc., but HAL has a Mexico itinerary we'd like to try on the Oosterdam.

David - we haven't been on the Oosterdam, but have been on her sister ship Zuiderdam. We have also cruised Celebrity numerous times, both on M-class and C-class ships. In general, yes, the ships are pretty comparable in terms of the their size and amenities. Nice spa, good gym, one main dining room with assigned times and a specialty restaurant for special occasions. The HAL buffet is probably a little nicer than X. Room service is presented more nicely on HAL unless you're used to suites on X. The entertainment seemed perhaps better on HAL, although the theaters on that class of ships are smaller and have columns blocking sightlines. The HAL "standard" inside, outside and balcony cabins are also nicer than X's standard cabins: they're somewhat larger and all outsides and balconies have a tub. I think X's suites are nicer in all categories.

However, and this is purely my personal, subjective opinion, the level of service and polish on HAL is not up to what you might be used to on Celebrity. We were disappointed in the dining room service, our cabin service, the spa personnel, and drink service in lounges and the theater. We were disappointed in their version of a coffee bar (paper cups with plastic stirrers? I have to stand in line to order? Wow.) We asked for a glass of champagne in the theater and got Korbel mini-bottles. That's all they had.:rolleyes:

If you're like us, you can have a fine time anywhere. Just be prepared for a little cognitive dissonance between the elegance of the ship and the level of service you'll receive.

I have sailed on the Oosterdam and the Summit/Millennieun. While I had a nice time on the HAL ship-- I found the decor a bit tacky and loud. All those bold colors had my head spinning after awhile! The Celebrity ships are elegant and low-key. The staff on HAL was very nice and the food was enjoyable. Because the passengers on the HAL cruise were so old--the gym was always empty.

Archived