Taxes/insurance

cnvh

Hubby and I are in the planning stages for a cruise this fall. It will be our third overall, second time on Carnival. Previously we always booked through AAA, but this year I'm thinking of going through on online vendor (i.e., priceline).

I'm trying to work out a preliminary budget and wonder what the added-on prices are, beyond the listed cabin fare... We usually book a balcony GTY, and I've been using a rough figure of an extra $150pp for taxes/insurance. So let's say the listed fare for a balcony GTY is $650-- I've been assuming $800pp for budgeting purposes.

Am I way off the mark, or is this a close rough estimate for taxes/insurance/etc.? (It's been a few years since our last cruise and I can't remember the previous figures.)

I'm not talking about onboard expenses like drinks, excursions, tips, etc.-- just the total up-front costs incurred before boarding.

Hubby and I are in the planning stages for a cruise this fall. It will be our third overall, second time on Carnival. Previously we always booked through AAA, but this year I'm thinking of going through on online vendor (i.e., priceline).

I'm trying to work out a preliminary budget and wonder what the added-on prices are, beyond the listed cabin fare... We usually book a balcony GTY, and I've been using a rough figure of an extra $150pp for taxes/insurance. So let's say the listed fare for a balcony GTY is $650-- I've been assuming $800pp for budgeting purposes.

Am I way off the mark, or is this a close rough estimate for taxes/insurance/etc.? (It's been a few years since our last cruise and I can't remember the previous figures.)

I'm not talking about onboard expenses like drinks, excursions, tips, etc.-- just the total up-front costs incurred before boarding.

Don't forget Gratuities $10 per day per person.

The govt Fees and Taxes vary by number of ports and which Ports. Carnival's Insurance is based on Cruisefare (excluding Govt fees and Taxes); 3rd Party Insurance varies by duration, cost and age. Not knowing which cruise you're considering, I'd say you're close on your estimate, maybe $200 instead of the $150.

Consider 3rd Party Travel Insurance as being less expensive, especially if you're younger. Maybe TravelInsured Trip Protector or AIG Travel Guard Premier Protect around $50pp for 5-day trip cruisefare $600 and age 42.

ken

I'm paying for cruise fare, air, and hotel; hubby's paying for everything else. :)

We're looking at a 7-day out of NOLA on the Triumph. Hubby and I are 35 years old. I've never bought 3rd party insurance, either. Any good recommendations of a place (website) to start, re: researching 3rd party travel insurance?

I'm paying for cruise fare, air, and hotel; hubby's paying for everything else. :)

We're looking at a 7-day out of NOLA on the Triumph. Hubby and I are 35 years old. I've never bought 3rd party insurance, either. Any good recommendations of a place (website) to start, re: researching 3rd party travel insurance?

Checkout www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com where you can do side-by-side compare of benefits and where you can calculate the premiums. At your age the 3rd party should be way less expensive and higher coverages than the cruiseline Policies. Below are some things to consider. ken

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkley Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for 50% premium increase. It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason future cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages included.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flite Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and run sample premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com .

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle Policies, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect. .

The cost depends on which ship, time of year, etc. You may do just as well with a good travel agent. I would say for a balcony you will need to budget at least $700.00 each including port fees and taxes. (However, we have a CC cruise next Dec with Balcony for $667.00 inclusive, 7 days and a balcony).

Also, I would not travel without separate insurance which covers medical and heliport, if needed. We all hate to spend the extra money, but it is like homeowners insurance. If your house burns down you will be glad you purchased it. If you would have a medical emergency and need to be taken off the ship by helicopter the cost is approx. $100,000.00. If you have that money don't purchase insurance. If you don't, please purchase insurance. Otherwise you could loose your home and all you have when you return home to pay for the medical and air cost.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Just do a fake booking.......it will show your total amount payable for your cruise.........

The cost depends on which ship, time of year, etc. You may do just as well with a good travel agent. I would say for a balcony you will need to budget at least $700.00 each including port fees and taxes. e!:)

Port fees are included with your cruise fare, they are never added on for about the last 15 years (they used to be early 1990s).

You dont need to budget for this as a add on.

Only taxes and fees are added on.

Archived