Anyone ever just decide to Leave the Camera Home

I like having pictures, BUT, I'm the one who always has to make sure I lug it everywhere we go and have batteries charged, etc., etc. Well, I was thinking, "how many pictures do I need ? All the boat pictures are already on the internet and I can always buy a picture here and there with the many photographers around. Plus I'm always spending time taking pictures and getting people to pose for pictures, that I never seem to really enjoy the moment. So, I think I have decided to leave the camera home. Its only me and DH that are going and I have plenty of other pictures of us on a cruise . I might just get a disposable camera and take my 20 picures and be done with it. I'm finally saying, enough is enough and why do I need all these pictures. What am I going to do with all these pictures in the end.

I like having pictures, BUT, I'm the one who always has to make sure I lug it everywhere we go and have batteries charged, etc., etc. Well, I was thinking, "how many pictures do I need ? All the boat pictures are already on the internet and I can always buy a picture here and there with the many photographers around. Plus I'm always spending time taking pictures and getting people to pose for pictures, that I never seem to really enjoy the moment. So, I think I have decided to leave the camera home. Its only me and DH that are going and I have plenty of other pictures of us on a cruise . I might just get a disposable camera and take my 20 picures and be done with it. I'm finally saying, enough is enough and why do I need all these pictures. What am I going to do with all these pictures in the end.

We not only have tons of pictures but also have tons of videos and I don't mind lugging a camera around to be able to enjoy those times again and again in between our cruises :) SO worth lugging all that stuff along.

I understand your angst completely.

It does take you out of the immersion of it all. This time around I made sure I didn't quite step out of my enjoyment for the sake of the images to capture. It's a balancing act but can still be done while enjoying the vacation immensely

I would never be able to leave my camera home. Matter of fact, it is on my most important list of things like passport, glasses, contacts etc. The cruise vacation is only a week of my lifetime and it goes by in a blink. The photos that I take are downloaded on my computer and I use them as a screen saver. Everytime a new photo pops up I am reminded about the beautiful places that we have been to and the good people we were with. I will never leave my camera home:) PS: I would rather be behind the camera then in all the photos;)

I am in complete sympathy. I was finding that I was taking the camera and then just couldn't be bothered to take any pictures. So I've gotten a little smarter and pretty much only taken it if the cruise seems 'special'. That being said we are sailing Oasis next month so I am taking it for this one.

I am in complete sympathy. I was finding that I was taking the camera and then just couldn't be bothered to take any pictures. So I've gotten a little smarter and pretty much only taken it if the cruise seems 'special'. That being said we are sailing Oasis next month so I am taking it for this one.

In that case, you're gonna need lots of memory chips.

In the past I had been the one lugging the camera bag around and taking all the pictures. A couple years back I read a thread on here addressing this issue and realized I was spending more time behind the camera than I was soaking up the beauty of the vacation. I have since given my Nikon D70 and all the gizmos that went with it to my son and replaced it with a pocket sized point and shoot digital. May not have as many pictures but it sure is more fun. Just my 2 cents.

For years I didn't own a camera because I found myself spending too much time worrying about getting pictures of things rather than just enjoying the scenery and experience. I finally bought a camera a few years ago, and lost it after one cruise. I just bought a replacement and lugged it to my cruise last month and ended up only taking about 5 pictures--I should just leave it at home next time but I feel that now that I've got it I've got to use it (although I might "accidently" forget to pack it).

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Archived