Sexy By Saturday!

There is a great article in the march issue of Cosmopolitan called Sexy By Saturday. It gives a day by day list of things to do to get ready for a big night (or cruise in our cases). I thought it might be interesting to post here! I am going to tear it out to keep till my cruise. Obviously this isnt for everyone and is just a guideline! change/substitute as you need to!

MONDAY:

Defuzz your lady parts.

why today? gives your irritated, just waxed bikini area time to heal so you'll be bump free on your big night (cruise).

Best to wax hairs that are as long as a grain of rice. Sprinkle on powder to help wax grip. Use pre applied strips to take of an even amount of hair on either side.

TUESDAY:

Score smooth skin.

why today? lets your skin recover from any sensitivity and appear totally flawless and touchable.

rub an exfoliator into wet skin for abnout 60 seconds. rinse, then lather up with a cleanser made with salicylic acid or glycolic acid. Massage into skin for a minute then leave it on like a mask for another minute. rinse and pat skin dry. To keep soft, apply lotion/cream weds, thurs, and fri nites.

WEDNESDAY:

Create amazing arches.

why today? can head off botched brows. Knowing you have oodles of time can prevent reckless plucking.

Do it right after a shower when folicles are open. Not sure if you should pluck a certain hair or area? cover it with concealer to see how it looks.

THURSDAY:

Be a bronze goddess.

why today? leaves you time to even out any streaks and let the sometimes smelly chemical scent air out.

Exfoliate first, dry off, then apply lotion to bony areas (wrists, ankles, knees, knuckles etc) to reduce excess product absorption there. Use an aerosol spray because they dont require rubbing in and can be sprayed upside down. Apply in the shower (not w/ water on!) because the excess will rinse off the walls. wait till the mist settles then hang out nude till its dry (10ish mins). if you have streaks, buff with a loofah.

FRIDAY:

Prep your mane and get your mani/pedi on.

why today saves you time tomorrow and lets your scalp produce some needed oils. nails will get hours of drying time to prevent nicks.

wash hair but only apply conditioner to ends to keep roots fress. When styling use only a styling cream to avoid build up. Give a self mani-pedi by pushing back cuticles, filing tips till they are even, applying a base coat and then 2 coats of color. Finish with a top coat.

the saturday prep was even more geared toward a night out, not a trip so im not including that. This is a nice guideline, though i would probably do the bikini wax later in the week so it would last longer through the cruise.

Hi there - great article. Thanks for posting. I cruise on Saturday (yay!), leaving home on Friday, so I'd set aside today for the pre-cruise beautification rituals. I've already peeled my face, tanned my legs (but forgot to wear plastic gloves, so now the palms of my hands are tan, too :( ), at-home mani & pedi are next, and I'm touching up my roots tonight.

:)

Mary Ellen

"Create amazing arches".....

I was wondering how they were going to advise changing the shape of your feet from flat to arched......then as I read on, I saw it was about eyebrows! Anyone else think that too???

What's amazing is how much work they feel a woman should put into a date, and then the guy shows up in a tee shirt and a long sleeved shirt over it and he's "dressed"! :eek:

"Create amazing arches".....

I was wondering how they were going to advise changing the shape of your feet from flat to arched......then as I read on, I saw it was about eyebrows! Anyone else think that too???

What's amazing is how much work they feel a woman should put into a date, and then the guy shows up in a tee shirt and a long sleeved shirt over it and he's "dressed"! :eek:

I thought that too, just how you read it i guess.

Caught my attention! Imagine if you had to do that, put tennis balls in your socks and walk around with it! hahahaha

Oh what we would do for beauty!

And that's just for my husband, hahaha-just kidding!:D

ok made you laugh i bet! that was my intent to that statement!!!!!!

I though it was foot arches as well! Until I continued reading I was excited about the advice, since I always need arch supports in my shoes.

I start early in the week, the mani and pedi get scheduled for the day before we leave. The list sounds spot on.

Although, haircut...at least 2 weeks prior, this next time it's 4 weeks, so I'll stop in for a bang trim on Wednesday evening. A fresh haircut just doesn't "settle" on me for at least a week, better at 2, weeks 2 through 6 are great, so I schedule appointments 7 weeks apart. Gotta stretch the budget a bit!

• 1 month later...
It's going to take a lot longer than five days-----for me!!!

Me, too...at least without hypnosis!

Hmmm....now that's an idea!

Sexy is all about attitude anyway! The media have been brainwashing us for decades, centuries...we should try fighting fire with fire! :D

• 5 months later...

Gotta bring this one back up to the top. Somehow I don't think men take a week to get ready for a date;). On second thought I hope they don't groom that much for a date. Would freak me out if my date took more time getting ready than I do.:p

Just remember that you're doing all of this stuff for you...your man couldn't care less if your eyebrows "arch" or not, or if there is "lady fuzz" anywhere...men do NOT care!

So, all this grooming is for yourself! Just so you know!

Just remember that you're doing all of this stuff for you...your man couldn't care less if your eyebrows "arch" or not, or if there is "lady fuzz" anywhere...men do NOT care!

So, all this grooming is for yourself! Just so you know!

I dissagree, I'm a man and I love that my wife does all that. I may be different but I like to take care of myself as well, and my wife loves that about me. Yes I am metrosexual and don't like to look sloppy. Yes I do work on the house and get my hands dirty, play hockey and race cars so please don't label me as soft or not a man's man.

The article is good as a guideline, but a few things need to be tweaked...

To the OP - you're totally right about having to wax later on. Unless you're going on a very short mini-cruise, waxing five days before is too early. I "defuzz my lady parts" (and everything else) only two days before - I think it's still enough time to heal, and the only way it will last throughout a 7 or 9 day cruise.

That includes waxing my brows. And that's just to get the little fuzzies that only show up in the sunlight; I still have to continue to pluck pretty much every day because my brows are just all over the place.

I'm also a big coffee drinker, so whitening my teeth is part of my routine. I use Rembrandt's 2-hour whitening kit (not the whole thing, though - half is more than enough, otherwise even the air hurts my teeth!) usually about three days before, then use Sensodyne religously until I leave so I can enjoy cold cocktails on the cruise without any discomfort. ;) Does anyone else whiten before a cruise?

I have learned to love my fair skin and no longer bother with tans (faux or otherwise) before a cruise. If I'm going to be the in the tropics, I just slather on a high SPF, wear a sun hat, and opt for sitting in the shade rather than the sun whenever possible.

I guess the article is geared towards a very young crowd, because it doesn't mention anything about covering gray roots! This is a big part of my prep (and I'm only 30 - I really thought I was in Cosmo's target range, but I guess I'm too old!) - and I usually do it about three or four days before to allow the color to "settle" before embarkation. Which reminds me... I'd better get going!

You're right Princess422, I didn't realize the roots were not mentionned. Maybe because the article is for pre-date not pre-cruise. I get my color done the week before.

And to the men who can appreciate the efforts we women put into this, thank you:D

I dissagree, I'm a man and I love that my wife does all that. I may be different but I like to take care of myself as well, and my wife loves that about me. Yes I am metrosexual and don't like to look sloppy. Yes I do work on the house and get my hands dirty, play hockey and race cars so please don't label me as soft or not a man's man.

Do you have any similar single friends? :D:D:D

I'm also a big coffee drinker, so whitening my teeth is part of my routine. I use Rembrandt's 2-hour whitening kit (not the whole thing, though - half is more than enough, otherwise even the air hurts my teeth!) usually about three days before, then use Sensodyne religously until I leave so I can enjoy cold cocktails on the cruise without any discomfort. ;) Does anyone else whiten before a cruise?

I use the Crest Whitestrips for a bout a week before my cruise, and always take a few with me on the cruise because they are so easy to use on formal nights when I am getting ready, because I know there will be photos.

I just can't kick my coffee habit.

Also no tanning for me either, I'm light skinned with light hair, so I have been lucky to avoid greys. I do highlight my hair, so touch up is still a good thing to do about 2 weeks before the cruise along with a haircut.

Archived