A Young at Heart Review; Legend 2/7 -2/14/2010

Delta Dear

Blessed with 12; how is your family and how is your son? Your review of the Legend had to be one of my all time favorites. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, live is just beginning when you hit 50 ! So don't think you are even approaching the hill, much less over it.

Day 6 A Day at Sea

I'm going to try to wrap this up by the end of the week-end. I have enjoyed posting what is somewhat a different thread than most. I guess it is all about perspective.

The sea was rough on Saturday. When I woke up, it was way too cool and rocky to sit on the deck. I noticed we didn't seem to be moving as quickly as some days. Later there was an announcement that the ship had been slowed down to make the passangers more comfortable on the rough sea. That was the beginning of the slow down, I guess.

We had our usual breakfast on the Lido deck, then just relaxed in various lounges. I had signed up for the On Deck for the Cure in the afternoon, so Morgan want back to take a nap while I went off to do that.

Because of the winds, the walk was moved to Deck 3 instead of being on the track of the upper deck, 10, I believe. By the time I found the group, they were already looping around Deck 3. I spotted some of my ScrapShare members, one of whom is a breast cancer survivor. I tried to open the door to the deck to join them but the wind was too strong. I ended up going to the other side and waiting for them to approach, there I was able to go out and walk with them. The wind was very, very strong.

At one point, the walk went back inside the ship to the Enchanted Forest. When we reached that point, I knew that my knee would not allow me to continue on, so I sat and cheered others on as they went through. There are small tables and chairs where you can sit and look out at the water. You MUST find the Enchanted Forest when you are on the Legend. It is a nice hide away, a quiet retreat, perfect to meditate or read.

It was an emotional experience for me that day as participants walked by. You see, four years ago in May, our daughter, Cindy, died of breast cancer at age 36. I sat there reflecting on her life, her joy and knowing she would love cruising and would love that we were on a cruise having such a good time. She'd recall how we'd watch the Love Boat each Sat. night when she was growing up and how we'd enjoy the scene they always showed of the waves that never changed.

I was so grateful to the many who continue in the fight to find a cure for breast cancer. As woman, young and old, men, young and old walked by, I wanted to grab each and say, 'Thank you.' I appauld Carnival for doing this on each ship. I have read, but cannot remember just how much is raised each year for the Susan G. Komen Foundation each year. The $10.00 fee to participate makes a huge difference.

The rest of the day was spent moving around the ship, stopping to talk, visiting with old friends and new. We began to hear the reports about the mechanical problems and knew our return would be delayed. Fortunately, we had no flights to rearrange etc. since we were renting a car in Tampa to drive to Pompano Beach to visit our son for a few days. The mood on the ship was still very upbeat, very few people seemed to be annoyed at the projected delay. Hey, what were your options ? Enjoy more time on the Legend ! Everything would work out.

I have to run for now, but I'll continue with the rest later on.

I have truly enjoyed your view. I love your writing style and felt as if I was there with you. My family and I will be taking a cruise at the end of the month and I hope we have as good a time as you and your husband did. As one sista to another, let me say. Thank you.

Day 6, Continued....

Funny, I don't remember much about that final day at sea. We were beginning to wind down a bit. We were sorry to say good bye to our dinner companions and our servers. Each night was like having dinner at home around the dining room table with everyone sharing the best and most exciting parts of their day. Our servers were wonderfully warm young women who took good care of us. I am so amazed at how they remember names, and personal likes and dislikes. Wow, some days I hardly remember my own name ! We enjoyed the nightly entertainment in the dining room. Some reviewers think it is a waste of time, but we all had fun singing and maybe even dancing along.

We decided that we would not try to go to the Legends Show because it was not scheduled to begin until 10:30, so around 9:30 we returned to the cabin to relax and get our bags packed and put in the hall by midnight. Mission accomplished.

Day 7+

Our delayed arrival into Tampa meant that there was no rush to do anything at all. I must say that I thought Carnival did an excellent job of keeping people informed about the situation. We had a 'Capers' of sorts that detailed activities and events on board for the 'extra day.'

We pretty much parked ourselves on the Lido deck for the day. Various friends, old and new would stop by, some would sit and eat or have coffee, others would just stand and talk. Eventually, we returned to the cabin to pick up our belongings and to say good by to our wonderful room stewards. We then went back to the Lido to wait for our numbers to be called to disembark. We were pretty much the last ones to leave the ship.

Oh, I did take time to go out to see the passing under the Sunshine Bridge as I mentioned earlier. That was pretty awesome. As one who ducks when she parks in a parking garage, this was much less intimidating. It was exciting to be out there with so many others as the ship got closer and closer. Around that same time, we'd been advised that the Coast Guard would be approaching to remove a seriously ill passanger. I saw the Coast Guard ship, but did not really want to see the patient removed so I left that area.

We arrived at the Port of Tampa at exactly 3:00 as projected. It had been a voyage to remember for a lifetime. We absolutely loved every minute. I purchased a $100 certificate for another Carnival cruise anytime within the next 5 years. Don't know where, don't know when, but I do know we are going somewhere on Carnival again. Can't wait.

For those of you taking the Legend, please let me stow away in your luggage. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The final installment of this review will contain some important lessons learned, a few other anecdotes, and maybe a picture or two if I can figure out how to post them in here.

I'll do the next posting either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there with this long experience. This has been as much a review for me as it has been for you. I'm sure there are other reviews that tell more about the food, or more about the ship, I just shared a lot of random thoughts and feelings. Hope I didn't ramble too much.

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, your thoughts and comments about your daughter made me tear up. I feel like I know you and your husband and wish we could meet! We go on the Legend next month and I'm even more excited now.

OMG!!:eek: You folks made it up the hill in Roatan! What a trek for you! Good thing you found the wheelchair. Isn't it wonderful when cruisers and shop people reach out to help others? So glad you got to see the island with Rony.

And seeing your husband's cousin in Belize is certainly better than any excursion:). Loved the Lou Rawls karioke story:cool: Didn't know that was in the play list.

You had a great cruise and I look forward to hearing your lessons learned and more stories.

The final installment of this review will contain some important lessons learned, a few other anecdotes, and maybe a picture or two if I can figure out how to post them in here.

I'll do the next posting either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there with this long experience. This has been as much a review for me as it has been for you. I'm sure there are other reviews that tell more about the food, or more about the ship, I just shared a lot of random thoughts and feelings. Hope I didn't ramble too much.

Ms. Delta, you have done such a wonderful job with your review! One of the best I've ever read :). Tears of joy for you two while reading of your adventures, seeing your husband's cousin, etc. Your writing style is great!

One request, please visit my MIL in FL next time you're down there and teach her that the Internet is a GOOD thing! ;) Just kidding. "Mom" won't give it a try. If she needs to buy or book something online, she just calls us and we do it for her. Would be nice if she could learn how to use a computer so she could see the kids pictures and write back and forth more often. They are late 70's in age. While Dad is not doing well, Mom is quite healthy and active (acts more like someone in her 50s), but has refused to join the rest of the world as far as computers. Any advice? Not to hijack your thread, but just wondering...you seem so savvy about it :).

Thanks again for an awesome review of your cruise!

Boo

Bar Hop Clarification.

First, the delay was caused because there was a miscount of heads on the bus. One of the people who was supposed to go on the tour, did not. The guide had the numbers but not the list of people as they boarded. When it was time to leave the first bar, we reboarded the bus and appeared to be one person short. Greg went back to the bar, we drove slowly up and down the road , checking the beach in both directions. There was a strong rip tide that day so saftey was a concern if someone had gone swimming.

Greg called Tom, who had the actual list. Tom called and let us know the missing person had called to say he missed the bus at the port. Greg felt terrible about the mix up and the time lost in looking. Greg said it had never happened before. We totally understood and felt Greg demonstated he would not leave someone behind. The day overall was so great, we did not feel cheated by missing one bar.

I forgot to note that several in our group enjoyed having a massage there on the beach at Punto Morena. The neck and shoulder + massage was $10.00, I think.

We went to Punto Morena, Coconuts, El Galeon. The choice at the end of the day was to go to The Rasta Bar or Paradise Beach. The original plan was to go to all five. The group wholeheartedly chose go to the Rasta Bar.

Thank for sharing your bar hop experience and answering my question regarding the delay at one of the stops.

Ms. Delta this has been said before but I have to agree. This is one of the best reviews I have read. I love, love your writing style. The review made me smile; made me go Hmmmm; made me laugh; made me get a little tearful.

This year will be 6th year to participate in the 3 day event (60 mile walk) for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I walk honor of a good friend who died from breast cancer. When I am on the Legend next month I too will sign up and walk in honor of you daughter and my dear friend.

Thanks again for the terrific review. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Your review was one of the most interesting I've ever read on Cruise Critic. I'm so glad that you liked the Legend because she is one of my favorite ships. My DH and I have cruised on her 3 times and just recently sailed on her sister ship, the Miracle. Thanks so much for posting your review which was so full of information. Maybe this will help others decide to book the Legend for a future cruise. :)

Cindy

Blessed with 12; how is your family and how is your son? Your review of the Legend had to be one of my all time favorites. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, live is just beginning when you hit 50 ! So don't think you are even approaching the hill, much less over it.

Day 6 A Day at Sea

I'm going to try to wrap this up by the end of the week-end. I have enjoyed posting what is somewhat a different thread than most. I guess it is all about perspective.

The sea was rough on Saturday. When I woke up, it was way too cool and rocky to sit on the deck. I noticed we didn't seem to be moving as quickly as some days. Later there was an announcement that the ship had been slowed down to make the passangers more comfortable on the rough sea. That was the beginning of the slow down, I guess.

We had our usual breakfast on the Lido deck, then just relaxed in various lounges. I had signed up for the On Deck for the Cure in the afternoon, so Morgan want back to take a nap while I went off to do that.

Because of the winds, the walk was moved to Deck 3 instead of being on the track of the upper deck, 10, I believe. By the time I found the group, they were already looping around Deck 3. I spotted some of my ScrapShare members, one of whom is a breast cancer survivor. I tried to open the door to the deck to join them but the wind was too strong. I ended up going to the other side and waiting for them to approach, there I was able to go out and walk with them. The wind was very, very strong.

At one point, the walk went back inside the ship to the Enchanted Forest. When we reached that point, I knew that my knee would not allow me to continue on, so I sat and cheered others on as they went through. There are small tables and chairs where you can sit and look out at the water. You MUST find the Enchanted Forest when you are on the Legend. It is a nice hide away, a quiet retreat, perfect to meditate or read.

It was an emotional experience for me that day as participants walked by. You see, four years ago in May, our daughter, Cindy, died of breast cancer at age 36. I sat there reflecting on her life, her joy and knowing she would love cruising and would love that we were on a cruise having such a good time. She'd recall how we'd watch the Love Boat each Sat. night when she was growing up and how we'd enjoy the scene they always showed of the waves that never changed.

I was so grateful to the many who continue in the fight to find a cure for breast cancer. As woman, young and old, men, young and old walked by, I wanted to grab each and say, 'Thank you.' I appauld Carnival for doing this on each ship. I have read, but cannot remember just how much is raised each year for the Susan G. Komen Foundation each year. The $10.00 fee to participate makes a huge difference.

The rest of the day was spent moving around the ship, stopping to talk, visiting with old friends and new. We began to hear the reports about the mechanical problems and knew our return would be delayed. Fortunately, we had no flights to rearrange etc. since we were renting a car in Tampa to drive to Pompano Beach to visit our son for a few days. The mood on the ship was still very upbeat, very few people seemed to be annoyed at the projected delay. Hey, what were your options ? Enjoy more time on the Legend ! Everything would work out.

I have to run for now, but I'll continue with the rest later on.

Thank you for the kind words and for asking about my son. He is actually headed to the hospital on Monday and will be admitted 5 days for testing. The goal is to have him having seizures while there so they can run the tests on him and see if they can locate the origin of the seizures. If so, they will then decide if he is a candidate for brain surgery. We would appreciate any prayers for him that people would like to offer next week!

I'm back all in the same day! Thank you so much for your words about my review. I was afraid it was too much of a personal narrative, so I'm glad you don't think so. Those who do, have stopped following the thread.

A special thanks to those who have volunteered to honor our daughter as you participate in walks. She'd be right there walking, too. She was an extemely joyful person, no matter what.

I believe that; Everything in life is a lesson;

Jane's Lessons, from spending a Week on the Legend.

Lesson 1. Pack early. You never know when you might have to grab and run 48 hours earlier than you had planned. I spent so much time reading CC boards, I had not packed when we heard the snow forecast. Fortunately, I did have most things on the bed in the spare room so I did have a jump start. I didn't leave anything significant behind, thank goodness. OOPS, I take that back. I forgot my toothbrush ! Hampton Inn, then Walgreens to the rescue.

Lesson 2. Take medications for extra days; you never know when you might have a day or two delay. My husband had a kidney transplant six years ago and is also diabetic. He takes a great number of medications daily. I am very diligent about making sure he has the full supply of meds, in divided compartment case, for the lenght of our time away from home.

When it was apparent that a number of people were going to be arriving back home one or two days later than they had planned, it make me take note to always have serveral EXTRA days of meds. You never know if you might need them. By the way, I took meds for the rest of the day and a day's full supply of meds whenever we left the ship. The last thing I wanted to do was miss the ship and not have Morgan's meds, they are too critical for him to miss.

Lesson 3. Be prepared to meet someone who knows someone you know from somewhere in this small world of ours. Here's a fascinating story.

We were seated in the MDR near a table of six children ranging in age from maybe 4-12. Their parents and a set of grandparents were seated nearby at a different table. Each night, I noticed how well behaved they were. They were having lots of fun, but not at the expense of other diners. ( As an retired elementary teacher for 36 years, I tend to pay attention to children and their behavior. LOL)

One afternoon the children and their fathers stepped on the atrium elevator with me. I asked if they were having fun, and asked where they were from. One dad said, " Albany." " I said, "New York ? We lived in Schenectady, NY for 21 years.Schenectay is 12 miles west of Albany. He laughed and said they were really from Schenectay and Scotia, but he always just says Albany because those names are too unfamiliar to most.

Well, we struck up a quick conversation but the floors were reached and that was it. Later one afternoon, the whole family was on the Lido Deck having ice cream cones. I stopped to talk again as the son-in-law introduced me to the others I had not met. His wife asked when where our children went to high school and what years they graduated. As soon as I said, '87 and '88 she said her cousin was in the class of '88.

She said his name and BAM, I knew exactly who he was because he and our son were in classes together from 1st grade on. They played Little League and Babe Ruth together etc. Wow, talk about a small world. By then my husband joined us as did my close friend, from Albany, who came on the cruise with our group, too. You just never know what you have in common with fellow passengers so, don't be shy about talking to strangers. I know, your mother taught you not to talk to strangers, but on a cruise, it's OK.

Lesson 4 For the wives. If you have a husband who insists he pack for himself ( fine with me, ) and insists he has EVERYTHING he needs, take that with a grain of salt. Several items were not packed that should have been. The most significant item was that Morgan did not pack the pressure stockings he should wear to keep his leg from swelling, especially when traveling. I was NOT happy the he'd left those at home. A few of the shirts he packed were the ones in the pile of shirts that didn't fit very well. Of course the pile of preferred shirts was still at home. G r r r r r.

But, nobody was the wiser except me. Next time, however, I'm either packing key things of his in my bag, or I'm doing a double check before we leave.

Lesson 5 No matter what, appreciate the time you have on board. You are on vacation. Be flexible, be friendly, and have fun. Let your inner child enjoy the wonder of it all. Life is too short to be uptight, or to complain. Be grateful for the experience. I have been dreaming about the cruise almost every night since our return. What does that tell you?

I found out how to post pictures but am tired tonight. I will post a few favorites tomorrow. Have a wonderful week-end. More tomorrow.

My husband and I will be on the Legend on Apr 25th so I enjoyed reading your review!!

I was touched by the mention of your daughter and the cancer walk. I would love to do the walk in her honor. I know several people have posted that they would like to do the walk in her honor also. Could you post her name and maybe a picture so that we can honor your daughters memory.

Where in Delaware are you from? I have family in Boothwyn, PA and am there frequently throughout the year.

I too love how its a small world and you always run into someone who knows someone who knows someone....

I have spent 22 years in the Marine Corps and my husband has spent 30 years in the Marine Corps so we run into that all the time.

This is such a wonderful review and I love your attitude. My DH is so much better about striking up conversations with "strangers" than I am...but I always enjoy getting to know people on a cruise once he initiates the conversation.

We have a family cruise booked on the Legend for August...the first time our daughter-in-law and soon to be daughter-in-law have cruised. It is expensive for us to foot the bill for everyone...but I consider it an investment in memories!

Thank you for the kind words and for asking about my son. He is actually headed to the hospital on Monday and will be admitted 5 days for testing. The goal is to have him having seizures while there so they can run the tests on him and see if they can locate the origin of the seizures. If so, they will then decide if he is a candidate for brain surgery. We would appreciate any prayers for him that people would like to offer next week!

He (and you) can count on mine.

Ms Delta, I for one love your personal touches to your review. You answered questions about the ship and excursions that I didn't even know I had!! I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Final tidbits, I think, and pictures, I hope.

CC does not have spell check ! Yikes ! I spelled SCH EN EC TA DY wrong, twice. I only lived there for 21 years, how could I ? Tired, maybe. I copied and pasted what I've written so I can have a hard copy. Please forgive the mistakes the Word picked up that CC did not.

Someone posted that the cabin robes were made for Barbie. I'm happy to report that I am a plus size woman and the robe DID fit. (No picture of that, however.)

The pop up hamper was a wonderful suggestion made here on the boards. I found a square one at Ace Hardware that was just the right size. When it was time to pack to come home, that hamper, dirty clothes and all, fit perfectly in a suitcase. I got to our son's and lifted the hamper out and walked directly to his laundry room. Pay back is sweet. Remember how your chldren brought dirty clothes home from college to save THEIR quarters.

Ok, now for the gallery. I'll try to describe what's here in case I don't get the captions where they belong.

Day 1, Morgan full of vim and vigor as we sit down to eat at the Lido Deck. Contrast that with the picture that is next. Day 7, Morgan sitting on the Lido Deck waiting for them to call our number to disembark.

Cozumel Bar Hop Scenes

Meet the cousins, Bill, wife, Cathie, Morgan and Jane

The Enchanted Forest.

Our beautiful daughter, Cindy, wife and mother of two wonderful children. As she told the children, " I may not be there with you, but I will always be with you." And so she is, each and every day.

Finally, thanks again for traveling along with us as we spent the week on The Legend. We loved it and I'm sure you will, too.

Here's a final toast to you, my many new friends. From Jane and Morgan.

Loved the Mocah Chocolate Getaway ! That's exactly what we did !

Bon Voyage !

OH,NO ! I thought I copied and pasted. The pictures showed up on my copy.

HELP ! Now what ????

I've only been able to copy/paste pictures to the forum here from Webshots. Maybe somebody else has suggestions, or knows something I don't know about posting them directly from my computer.

Archived