Bringing items on board that may be restricted.

dickwho

Shortly, we'll be heading off, and during the trip we'll be calling into a couple of ports in the U.S.

As a sport I shoot a rifle at targets. Because ammunition in Oz is expensive a great many of us reload our own, but as the shells and projectiles are made in the U.S. we get considerable additional cost added onto the item if bought locally.

I am in the process of getting government approval to import these items into Australia, which I'll get. However, I recall seeing ships security staff taking some stuff off passengers on a previous cruise. One fellow had purchased a dagger of some type, and though he declared it, it was taken from him, another had the sword from a swordfish.

Before I formally approach Princess, can anyone give me any information as to if items as I have described, are prohibited from being taken on board. In reality all they are are pieces of inert scrap metal. I won't be buying any explosive or dangerous goods.

And...naturally I would declare them when coming on board.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shortly, we'll be heading off, and during the trip we'll be calling into a couple of ports in the U.S.

As a sport I shoot a rifle at targets. Because ammunition in Oz is expensive a great many of us reload our own, but as the shells and projectiles are made in the U.S. we get considerable additional cost added onto the item if bought locally.

I am in the process of getting government approval to import these items into Australia, which I'll get. However, I recall seeing ships security staff taking some stuff off passengers on a previous cruise. One fellow had purchased a dagger of some type, and though he declared it, it was taken from him, another had the sword from a swordfish.

Before I formally approach Princess, can anyone give me any information as to if items as I have described, are prohibited from being taken on board. In reality all they are are pieces of inert scrap metal. I won't be buying any explosive or dangerous goods.

Import what? Ammunition? Or pieces of scrap?

Can you make arrangements for the store you're purchasing them from to ship them directly to you back home. That way, you won't have to deal with security onboard. I would think anything that even smacks of a potential weapon like an oversized knife would be forbidden.

Since this is actually ammunition, I would venture to guess that Princess will not allow this to be brought onboard for any reason. You may consider it inert scrap metal, but my understanding of bullets is they contain some sort of gun powder, which would be totally against the rules. And just a question, how did you expect to get this onboard an airplane to get it home to AU after the cruise?

No, this is not in the true sense of the word 'ammunition'. It is not 'ammunition' until it has a propellant and a firing cap installed. These are inert components that go towards making ammunition.

These are empty cartridge cases without any propellant (powder) and copper jacketed projectiles.

The cases do not have a projectile installed, they are empty of anything, and the projectiles and cartridge cases are for for all intentional purposes scrap metal. You buy each item separately.

We have examined the prospect of importing this stuff from the U.S. by mail, but the cost is enormous, bearing in mind the weight alone.

I reload my own 5.56 as well, I wouldn't see a problem with just brass, Can you get it tumbled and clean b4 brining it on board ? Are the primers still in the casing are have they been removed as well ? Just a thought but maybe send a e-mail to Princess directly asking a security supervisor about it b4 your cruise then if they ok it present the letter to the ship security officer before leaving the ship to buy in and just make sure again.

No primers. I'll not try my luck too much with dangerous items. I'll get them here.

Do you know if .303 calibre are easy to get in the states? It's not a really popular calibre here anymore, people having gone over to 7.62 (.308).

We do what they call 'Sandbagging', & shoot over 300 yards.

I would think if the lead (projectile) were separate from the casing (brass) then you probably won't have a lot of problems getting them on board but you will raise a few eyebrows. They will search hard and heavy for the gunpowder to ensure you're not trying to build the bullet on board. If you have the lead and casing together in bullet form and just have no gunpowder inside, you're going to have a much harder time and I would expect at best they will inspect each and every bullet to ensure there is no gunpowder inside. More than likely they will assume that at least 1 of them does and reject the whole lot. This is an assumption but I think a fairly honest opinion of what TSA and the cruise line will put up with.

On the Tahitian Princess last fall, we bought a large dagger in either Oman or Dubai. When we brought it back on board, we showed it to security. They took it, and gave us a receipt. The last evening I went to the Purser's Desk and got it back. We put it into our checked luggage for the flights home.

On the Tahitian Princess last fall, we bought a large dagger in either Oman or Dubai. When we brought it back on board, we showed it to security. They took it, and gave us a receipt. The last evening I went to the Purser's Desk and got it back. We put it into our checked luggage for the flights home.

I've done exactly the same on a couple of cruises. They won't let you keep it during the remainder of the cruise but they're more than happy to give it back at the debarkation. The exception is if the item is something that is on a banned trading list (dagger has rhino horn handle, turtle shell, etc).

The problem is that the security personal you will be dealing with are very subjective. Every port is different and some security personal are not that smart. If I were you I would not take the chance unless you can get some kind of written documentation from Princess.

Archived