Buffet's

cc_double

Hi CC Double

The Fantasia (at least in the Mediterranean!) has got a buffet, but only for morning and lunch. For dinner there is no buffet, just the 2 MDR and some pay-options (which are very good as I hear)

It would be a wise idea to read up on lots of reviews of MSC before you book it. A lot of americans are dissapointed with them, but that is mostly because they go in expecting the same as on american lines and not having done lost of research. At least if you read everything, you know the oddities of this european cruiseline (of which no evening buffet and no free water are just two) and decide accordingly.

In my mind: any cruise is better than no cruise so I will be happy to sail MSC this month for the first time,. But then again I am european and not used to cruising, not used to american lines and not used to american standards of service

Greetings from Holland

Cat

Completely agree with catharina's information and advice. The only thing that I would add is that there is one evening buffet on a 7 night cruise and that is on the vening of the last gala but it is not a substitute for dinner in the MDR - it is a Midnight Buffet - Buffet Magnifique and magnificent it certainly looked. Food sculptures were amazing. can't comment on how it tasted though as I was still too full from dinner (was on late sitting) to eat anything. However from the way people were devouring it - guess it tatsed just fine!

We sailed on the Splendida (fantasia sister ship) late last year & you will love these ships. We are also from Oz & there is nothing that comes close to these amazing ships here in Australia. The huge Buffet will be open for Brekky, lunch & afternoon tea & as said above, one midnight buffet which has to be seen to be believed. Do also try the tex mex restaraunt ( best mex food we have ever had) & the late night snacks in the sports bar. Both are fairly cheap & good value for money! The Pizzeria is open at night in the buffet area, you do have to pay for the pizza's but they are cheap, great & well worth it, & much nicer than the ones they have for free during the lunchtime buffet.

We are looking to book on the Fantasia in December is there a buffet onboard, our travel agent didn't think there was, we find it a little strange if they don't?

I am really sorry but I have to say that if my TA could not answer my questions I'd take my custom elsewhere.

There is also something in what everyone has said here - do your own homework.

Half the fun for me is the planning before I book - on the cruises we've been on I could tell you the number of bars and restaurants etc before I booked. Very important to have some knowledge so you have an idea of where your cabin will be. Has to be port and forward for us.

As the saying goes fail to prepare then prepare to fail.

you can get water, and its free. There is a charge for bottled water.

Not on the Fantasia you can't. Some cruise (mainly US sailings but also in some other regions, chilled 9free) tap water is readily available) but it is not in Europe (except on sailings out of England where they make some variations to cater for Brits.

Hello jspqld.

I am getting a better picture of the meal situation on MSC.

Do you happen to remember the cost of the pizza at night time? Is it by slice, or an entire pizza? We are 2 adults and 1 child (3 year old). We are looking for alternatives to the main dining room. My son cannot stay still for 1.5 or 2 hour meals. Not every single night. Do you remember the HOURS when the pizza was available?

Hello jspqld.

I am getting a better picture of the meal situation on MSC.

Do you happen to remember the cost of the pizza at night time? Is it by slice, or an entire pizza? We are 2 adults and 1 child (3 year old). We are looking for alternatives to the main dining room. My son cannot stay still for 1.5 or 2 hour meals. Not every single night. Do you remember the HOURS when the pizza was available?

On the Splendida, we went to the pizzeria for dinner or late snack more than a couple of times, not just for the pizza, we really enjoyed chatting with the staff up there. They close off a small section of the caffeteria & dress up the tables with Italian looking table cloths, etc, & it is open roughly from about 6pm till about 10-10.30pm depending on how busy it was. The pizza's are all served as a whole pizza & made fresh as you order them off the menu. From memory I think most cost between 4-8euro depending on toppings. Personally we loved them & we would have paid more if we had too.

• 4 months later...
On the Splendida, we went to the pizzeria for dinner or late snack more than a couple of times, not just for the pizza, we really enjoyed chatting with the staff up there. They close off a small section of the caffeteria & dress up the tables with Italian looking table cloths, etc, & it is open roughly from about 6pm till about 10-10.30pm depending on how busy it was. The pizza's are all served as a whole pizza & made fresh as you order them off the menu. From memory I think most cost between 4-8euro depending on toppings. Personally we loved them & we would have paid more if we had too.

HI jspqld

We are also travelling on msc, we are australians I have read your reviews and about booking from australia would you be able to give us some advice my email is kryger@pnc.com.au

Many thanks

Hi Catharina..Would like to thank you for all the wonderful posts over the last few months. Most of all the Spendida since we are party of 6 going on the 3rd of sept. We have booked your mario and we are prepared for the water situation. We are all americans and all living in Florida so we have the advantage of sailing on the american ships from the port of miami on great deals. This is the first time for msc and because of your posts we are very excited.. you should have been a travel writer and not a TA. Thanks again and always looking froward to your posts.

Archived