Has anyone just swam out to see the turtles?

jennat

I have pretty severe arthritis in both knees and I'm wondering how difficult it is to get on and off the catamarans. Are there ladder rungs at least three deep under water? My knees won't bend much more than 90 degrees. THANKS!

We went with Silvermoon in March, and they did have a ladder on the 24 person. I cannot remember how many, but Katrina was very responsive to email. Maybe she could answer the ladder question. Google Silvermoon Barbados, and click on contact. They are very nice & it was probably the nicest, most relaxing day we had! Food was great.

I will agree that the turtles by catamaran is probably dependant on how many ships in that day, but it was VERY crowded when we were there. The turtles were overwhelmed and not too social, even waited for the food to sink so they didn't have to be bothered by us. Although I was disappointed, I did enjoy the shipwreck snorkel, and seeing the turtles.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...
Yes, you have to swim/snorkel up to the boats. They are there for the same reason - people jump in to see the turtles. They are anchored. There is a guide from each boat feeding the fish, etc. Just swim out and join their tour. El Tigre, Cool Runnings, Tiami, etc... They're all there a couple of times a day. This picture was taken on Friday (4/23/10). I don't think I've ever NOT seen a catamaran boat there during the day. I think the fish are very well fed.

What about your belongings? If it's just two of us, should one stay on shore while the other snorkles out?

What about your belongings? If it's just two of us, should one stay on shore while the other snorkles out?

We did swam out on our own in June and preferred this over a tour. I have a waterproof passport case wherein I store my money id's etc and tie it to my bathing suit. All other stuff left on shore (sandals, T shirts etc.) can easily be replaced. I wouldn't leave anyting of value sitting up there while swimming out the turtles.

BTW, I would not do this on your own unless you are a good ocean swimmer. Also remember that the tour boats cannot see you so I do not suggest that you swim near them while they are in the midst of their comings and goings.

Kenny

we did this tour with p and o last year with cool runnings. My partner is a strong swimmer but still got slightly injured getting back on the catamaran because its steps up from the sea and the cat moved with a wave and something hit him in the ribs and it was painful for a couple of weeks - this was on our last day thank goodness. He still enjoyed the swim with the turtles.

We did swam out on our own in June and preferred this over a tour. I have a waterproof passport case wherein I store my money id's etc and tie it to my bathing suit. All other stuff left on shore (sandals, T shirts etc.) can easily be replaced. I wouldn't leave anyting of value sitting up there while swimming out the turtles.

BTW, I would not do this on your own unless you are a good ocean swimmer. Also remember that the tour boats cannot see you so I do not suggest that you swim near them while they are in the midst of their comings and goings.

Kenny

Thanks so much for the information. My husband and I are advanced divers so I think we can handle the sim. We still are going to take our gear though and play it by ear depending on how the ocean is that day. I haven't had any luck finding water proof bags in stores but I found a website called www.thewaterproofstore.com that I may puchase a couple things from. Not sure why I didn't do it earlier but hopefully the stuff gets here before September 12th.

Would you happen to what time the boats get to Paynes Beach (Blue Monkey Beach I think it's also called)?

• 2 weeks later...
I have pretty severe arthritis in both knees and I'm wondering how difficult it is to get on and off the catamarans. Are there ladder rungs at least three deep under water? My knees won't bend much more than 90 degrees. THANKS!

Hemi, did you ever find anything out on the ladders? My mother-in-law has the same concern. They will be in Barbados next month.

We took the silvermoon catamarran about 2 years ago, and while the sail was enjoyable, we too were yelled at the whole time by the crew to stay with the boat. My sister and I are definitely NOT snorkel with the crowd people, so it made us nuts. And the turtles are so overfed that they have fat hanging out of their shells.

In terms of the ladder on Silvermoon. I, too have problems with knees; I found the steps to be very easy. You can also swim up to steps and scoot your butt on the step and maneuver from that position. I always have my DH give me a boost and be behind me incase I go back in. But if you have some upper body strength I think you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
We did this a few weeks ago. Marvellous.If, like me you are not that strong a swimmer I recommend the glass bottomed boat you mention - run by Roddy who can be found off Tamarind Cove Hotel (opposite petrol station). Great bloke who will attract the turtles for you. He also does a trip to a nearby wreck and makes a mean rum punch for the return to shore.

Is this something we could schedule in advance? Do you know of a website or anything?

• 3 months later...

I would like to know that for sure too. We are on the Victory in Feb. My DH and I plan to taxi to PB and then return to Boatyard or Lobster alive in the afternoon. I know Boatyard isn't far from the ships. I remember taking the van or bus there the last time we stopped.

I know a catamaran would be nice, but we have done them before and would like something else. I like the idea of swimming from shore to see the turtles. If it is too wavy or too far, then we'll snorkel out as far as we want and I'm sure we'll see some water wildlife.

Karen

We were in Barbados mid-December and went to Payne's Bay in the morning (local bus), and then went to Carlisle Bay/Lobster Alive (next door to Boatyard) in the afternoon. You can do both easily if your ship is in port all day. When we returned from Payne's Bay (again local bus), we walked to Carlisle Beach.

I'll post a separate thread with video and pictures of our day.

Archived