purchasing bottle of wine onboard for stateroom

Tarheeler

yes - they have a pretty full wine list on the interactive TV system. If you don't like dealing with that you can order any wine on any of the wine lists on the ship to be sent to your cabin through room service or one of the bartenders or wine servers.

Likewise if you're at a bar and want to order a bottle from the dining room wine list you can. But try and time the order so it's easy on the bartender - you don't want to be ordering something that will take the 10 minutes to fetch for you when the bar is real busy; although most of the bar servers we've known would just grit their teeth, smile and say yes.

yes - they have a pretty full wine list on the interactive TV system. If you don't like dealing with that you can order any wine on any of the wine lists on the ship to be sent to your cabin through room service or one of the bartenders or wine servers.

Likewise if you're at a bar and want to order a bottle from the dining room wine list you can. But try and time the order so it's easy on the bartender - you don't want to be ordering something that will take the 10 minutes to fetch for you when the bar is real busy; although most of the bar servers we've known would just grit their teeth, smile and say yes.

But don't they get a 15% gratuity on going to fetch that bottle of wine? Much nicer than the Gratuity on a mojito ;)

But don't they get a 15% gratuity on going to fetch that bottle of wine? Much nicer than the Gratuity on a mojito ;)

Yes - but my point is more towards peak times, like in the Martini bar before dinner. There the waiter might have 4 to 8 tables of 2 to 6 at each table waiting to be served. It would be somewhat unfair to him and to the others waiting if he had to make a 10 minute run to a wine storage area to retrieve a bottle not normally stocked at that bar, and he might not be allowed to get it for you at all at those times while it would be no problem if you'd placed the order in advance or before it got busy. Of course I'm just guessing at this and for all I know they have procedures in place that provide for some other staff to retreive it for him. All I do know for sure it is that it is possible to order these - as we've done it.

There is a small list of wines you can PREorder on X's website to be delivered to your room or a restaurant before you cruise. I like one especially and always order two bottles at home, pay for them and have them in my room when we arrive. THere is NO gratuity on them. Just the straight cost. And the one I like is actually a dollar or two cheaper when I preorder at home. Check out the list on the X website. Find the gift area and you'll be taken to the wines.

Archived