Just Back From the Serenade 1/15/05 - 1/22/05

The pools were very nice, but also very crowded. The kids pool and slide were closed for the first few days and then they opened up. The first day they were opened for only about 30 minutes and then closed when a child had an accident in the pool. Although children are supposed to be potty trained and diapers aren't allowed, RCI does not enforce this. There were lots of kids with diapers in the pool and people even changing diapers on the pool deck. I complained to Guest Relations and they did nothing about it. I just think it is unsanitary. My kids loved the water slide. We spent our entire sea day on the slide. We also loved the mini golf and the rock wall. The Solarium was very nice, but also kind of crowded every time we went.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG!!!!!!!!! :eek: I wish these irresponsible parents would be let off at the next Port >>>>>>>>>>> PUNT!!!! :mad:

The tour is called Land Rover Explorer. We had 10 people plus the guide in the truck (but 5 of them were children and one large adult). We booked it the morning we were in St. Lucia. We hadn't planned anything for the island and when we checked, it was the only tour available. It turned out to be really fun and the scenery was incredible. There were 4 land rovers following each other during the tour. You go way up winding roads into the mountains and then through the rain forest. Remember to bring a towel and wear a swimsuit. The description doesn't say anything about swimming, but they stop at a lake where you can swim.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. We were 2 couples travelling together and this was our first cruise not of the Voyager class. We found the ship very lovely but missed all the bigness of the larger ship. This ship has smaller decks, pools, shops, etc. plus no ice rink or promenade. We do prefer the larger ships. But... we found the food VERY good. We are not picky eaters but we ate every night in the dining room. Had the best waiters ever and loved every meal. Gained 3 pounds but it was worth it. The pool and chairs were crowded of course on sea days and as usual there were chair hogs. The entertainment f or the most part was very good. Two really funny comics. The singers were better than others I have seen. We especially loved the islands on this cruise. We had a driver pre arranged for each island so we got to see all of each island as well as to know the best spots for snorkelling or dining. It was just great. I highly recommend the following drivers. Antigua...Lawrence of Antigua, Barbados... Cameron Reid, St. Lucia... Frank Connelly or our driver was Aaron who works for Frank. They took us exactly where we wanted to go and we did not waste any time. Small groups make it much more interesting. In St. Lucia we even took a water taxi to the resort (Hilton) which is between the Pitons and it was great there. Our cabin was great but we were lucky to have a grand suite with very large balcony which we loved. Lots of room with a lovely bathroom with tub and shower.

We were disappointed that so many do not choose to be formal on formal night. It is so very lovely to see everyone dressed for a nice evening. Due to the lack of formality on RCCL, we have about decided to goto Celebrity which hopefully will be a bit more elegant. We do love RCCL and will probably be back again.. Hope you all enjoy your cruises but then I don't know how you could not. Thanks for listening..

On formal night, it wasn't really that formal. Most men either wore suits or button down shirts and slacks. I didn't see anybody in a tux.

Botton down shirts and slacks:eek: ????? Jeez-what did they wear on casual nights??????

No tuxes??????? That is too bad............I'm with Mdeane---I think it lacks some when no one dresses really formal.......Why even bother with a formal night,then?If not a tux,at least a suit...

We've just booked the Serenade for the week before Christmas and can't wait. She looks lovely. We are in a superior balcony cabin on deck 10 - 1558 (next to the Royal Suite). This Christmas we were on the Sun Princess and their formal nights were no where near as formal as we were expecting. We had only cruised with English P&O ships and the difference was amazing. On P&O formal means formal and 90% of men are in tux. Most women in long dresses. My 11 year old daughter loves to dress up and whilst in Fort Lauderdale bought a dress for our next cruise. I do hope she doesn't look out of place!!!

We had the main seating and I didn't notice too many tuxes. Maybe people got more dressed up for the later seating. I wouldn't worry about being overdressed - it just seemed like whatever you were wearing was fine. There was a wide range of dress.

Hello all, I will try to answer your requests. We were in GS 1034 and 1036 on deck 10. They were very nice with plenty of room for everything you want to bring. Lovely bathroom with double sinks, tub and shower.

The guides or taxis we had were excellent and I highly recommend each of them. Here are the contacts.

St. Thomas: ABU's Taxicab and Island Tour (driver 0231)

Phone: 777.3159 mobile 643.3031

Antigua: Lawrence of Antiqua (He is delightful!)

Lawrenceofantiqua.com

Barbados: Cameron Reid

scenicbarbados.com

St. Lucia: Frank Connelly

The resturant in San Juan that is very good for dinner is "AL DENTE" at 309 Recinto Sur. Phone 723.7303 It is very small but very intimate.

If I can be of any further help, please ask.

I just love reading reviews of Serenade! We sail on our first RCI cruise is less than three months.

I read in the CC review of Serenade that the Solarium is open 24 hours a day. Is this accurate? And is the pool actually open all of the time or just the lounge area around it?

Thanks in advance,

Susan

I don't think the Solarium was open 24 hours. I walked through the area one night at around 11:30pm and it was completely dark.

The main pool also closes at night. They put a net over it. I'm not sure exactly what time they close it, but it is pretty late. The area around the pool is definitely open. Most nights they have a steel drum band or a buffet or something going on around the pool.

We too were on the 1/15/05 cruise on the Serenade of the Seas.

I can't believe we were on the same cruise because we LOVED IT.

We have been on 9 cruises-one on the Mariner of the Seas -and we loved the Serenade. The crew was super and the food was much better than what we experienced on the Mariner last year.

We loved the ports-we had been to all but St Lucia in the past.

We never went to the kids pool so we did not experience any "sanitary" issues!!

Our group of 12 people all agreed that this was a great ship, crew and itinerary. For all who are cruising on the Serenade in the future- you will not

be disappointed.

If you have any questions-I will try to answer them.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I just booked the Serenade for January 14, 2006 because of the ports of call. I was extremely excited to do Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados, as that is all we have not done so far in the Caribbean. After reading your thread, I am hesitant to go. Is there anything we can do to be sure we will enjoy these ports? I know what to do in St. Maarten...SHOP AT OM JEWELERS (SIMPLY THE BEST).....and St. Thomas.....MAGENS BAY.......but the other stops I am not sure of. I read some of your recommendations, and they seem interesting.

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 1 month later...

I just booked my family on the Serenade for the same week in January next year. I was wondering since it's not a school holiday, were there many children on board? Mine will be 11,8, and 7 so it would be cool if they found some friends.

Thanks!

Susan

Archived