Oysters on Jewel?

Obi1

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants that serve oysters on the Jewel? There will be six of us cruising on the Jewel in September and my aunt LOVES oysters!

This will be my 4th cruise with NCL, but I don't eat seafood, so I don't recall if oysters were ever available. Thank you in advance!:)

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants that serve oysters on the Jewel? There will be six of us cruising on the Jewel in September and my aunt LOVES oysters!

This will be my 4th cruise with NCL, but I don't eat seafood, so I don't recall if oysters were ever available. Thank you in advance!:)

You might see oyster fritters as an appy once.

I've never seen shucked oysters on a cruise.

Thanks for the replies! She actually prefers the raw oysters that she cracks open herself, so I guess what is available will have to suffice. We are stopping in Newport, Rhode Island so I am sure she could find some there, if they are not offered on the ship. Thanks again! I wish we were leaving tomorrow!

Thanks for the replies! She actually prefers the raw oysters that she cracks open herself, so I guess what is available will have to suffice. We are stopping in Newport, Rhode Island so I am sure she could find some there, if they are not offered on the ship. Thanks again! I wish we were leaving tomorrow!

Interesting. I have never seen a restaurant patron shuck his or her own oysters.

There's no oysters on the 1/2 shell. Since you are stopping in Portland Me. You will find some really nice local oysters. We have done the Dawn to NE/Canada and have stopped in Bar Harbour Me and have had quite a few dozen on our trips.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

FLAHAM,

She just did at Red Lobster last week. There was 12 oysters as an appetizer and she ordered them and shucked them herself. Like I said, I don't eat seafood, so I don't know if that is unusual or not, but that's how she likes them, lol! (Personally, I think they are disgusting, but that is just me).:o

Raw oysters are just too much of a health hazard for a cruise ship to serve any more. If the oyster has not been shucked, even more of a hazard, in my opinion. Same reason that you don't see steak tartare served any more.

Raw oysters are just too much of a health hazard for a cruise ship to serve any more. If the oyster has not been shucked, even more of a hazard, in my opinion. Same reason that you don't see steak tartare served any more.

While I didn't have any, they were advertising raw oysters on the 1/2 shell on the Spirit in September. They were an extra fee and available in the Blue Lagoon/Shanghai Bar area.

While I didn't have any, they were advertising raw oysters on the 1/2 shell on the Spirit in September. They were an extra fee and available in the Blue Lagoon/Shanghai Bar area.

Where was she sailing at the time. I would guess in the New England area.

That would be awesome to get fresh oysters on a cruise. Although I am guessing they would be more than the $3.95/dozen that we can get at Papadeaux. :D

PE

I'm wondering if they were fresh or pasteurized and out of a container.

Fresh-shucked and on-the-half-shell don't always mean the same thing.

There are a couple of give-aways. If the oyster ain't attached to that shell is one of them. The other is looking at the size of the critter compared to the shell and then seeing fork scrapes on that shell.

There are places that will wash and re-use shells and put canned oysters into 'em. Can-o-sewers can tell the difference.

Archived