Opera at Spring Break

thisisnewtome

My family is booked for the Mar.19 Caribbean cruise and we have NEVER been on a cruise before. We wonder if there are some things that others could share that would prevent us from looking really stupid during this process. What should we be sure to do and when should we do them. I know this is a little vague. Sorry.

Welcome to the world of cruising!!!

After reading this board (and others) for about 4 to5 years, the NUMBER ONE thing that I would advise is to arrive at the port city the day before your sailing. This gives you time to allow for disruptions in the flight schedules, get over the hassles of airplane travel, settle in and get ready for your vacation.

Number 2 is simply to enjoy and have fun.

I am sure others will add more suggestions. but these are the two that I follow.

Opera 1-29-05.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

As mapsmith indicates, get to the cruise port a day early is probably the most important consideration - weather/airlines.

Your return flight - if possible get one that leaves in the p.m., perhaps 2 p.m. or later. Disembarktion delays over which you have no control could cause one to miss a flight.

(Last year we had a 12:10 p.m. return flight from FLL and were off the ship in FLL by 9:00 and at the airport at 9:40 a.m., but I was still concerned about making the flight. This year, after the Opera returns on Feb 5, we'll stay in FLL for the night and fly home the next day.)

Read these/other boards and those pertaining to other cruise lines, e.g. what not to forget, what to pack and why bring duct tape and the 40 or so uses of it. Involve other members of your family travelling to do similar reading or looking at information on the ports you will visit.

Last comment - Take Control over your travel arrangements. Know precisely when, where, how and how much, if this is an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

your title caught my eye-

my boyfriend and I are also planning on booking this cruise as it occurs during our spring break. i've also never been on a cruise and was wondering about the average agae during spring break season. We are both 22, and not looking to be the youngest on board. Anyone have any thoughts?

smiles,

allison

Archived