Availability of Books in the Constellation Library?

BBsails

We're traveling by plane from CA to FL to do a Transatlantic in April, and I'm trying hard to pack lightly. On the other hand, I love to read and those long days at sea provide a perfect opportunity to linger over a good book. However, I don't want to pack several books (even the weight of paperbacks adds up) if the Constellation library has a variety available. So if you've sailed on the Constellation recently and used the library, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks a bunch

Betsy

It's mixed. It really depends on what you have already read and the authors you like. Get there early and have a book to exchange with others on board. Perhaps you can trade with others in your roll call.

We did a b2b including a TA on the Constellation 2 years ago. There were so few books and the library had nothing sorted or in any order. It was one of the worst libraries we had seen. It was self service and you just signed a log book. We never saw anyone sorting books or working in the library. Maybe it's better now.

We did a b2b including a TA on the Constellation 2 years ago. There were so few books and the library had nothing sorted or in any order. It was one of the worst libraries we had seen. It was self service and you just signed a log book. We never saw anyone sorting books or working in the library. Maybe it's better now.

It's not much better but the library on Equinox and Solstice were worse, all show and no substance! I think cruisers "borrow" them to place on chairs around the pool.

Keep in mind that using the ship's library books is a great way to catch norovirus.

The same holds true for every library anywhere. Even touching the door handle of any common room will put you at risk.

We were on the Constellation in both January 2009 and January 2010

In January of 09 the selection was minimal. No current authors, no one was looking after the library, books (what there was as the shelves were pretty bare) were just shoved in wherever. In January of 2010 however there was a good selection of relatively new releases, books were properly arranged and it was once again a pretty good ships library. After the 09 experience, because I like to read on vacation, and not wanting to take a chance the library wouldn't be up to expectations for our January 2010 cruise, I bought a Kindle and loaded it up before our cruise so my book problem has been solved

I would suggest that you might want to make sure that you have what ever you need for reading material and that way you won’t be disappointed if the library does not meet your expectations. From January to April my fear is it could once again slip as libraries in our experience are not a priority for Celebrity

Hi Betsy. My DH Mike and I sailing with you. We were on Coonie in Nov 2009. The selection was fair if you go to the library as soon as possible. As previous cruisers leave books just before departure, the paperback exchange waspretty good then, as was the selection oc Celebrity books. Maybe I'll see you there. On the IOS TA last spring their library was depleted really quickly. My husband reads a lot at home, so he has trouble finding anything he has not read in his favorite genre. OTOH, he can always pick out several good books for me.

Have you tried a Kindle or other electronic book reader? We love ours. Classics are often free or nominal fee. Newer books are competatively priced. So small and lightweight. If you want to see one before you buy, we can meet aboard for a free demo:D. Since we share the Kindle, we will bring some paperbacks with us. If you like mysteries, we be happy to pass a couple along to you instead of the library exchange. If you like, we can coordinate as the cruise approaches.

Wendy

Archived