Marriage Proposals

hcs81m

If you have never been on a cruise before would you rather?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. If you have never been on a cruise before would you rather?

• Be surprised with a proposal on your first cruise
    • Be proposed to somewhere else and get married on the ship
    • Save the cruise for the honeymoon
    • Be proposed to, married, and honeymoon on the same cruise

Proposed on the 1st cruise (got a great deal on the ring in Grand Cayman to boot.) Going on our honeymoon on the 3rd in 9 days. I couldn't get it together to have the wedding on the 2nd as it was a "cruise of opportunity" on very short notice.Can't wait!

My husband proposed to me March 2004 on the Golden Princess' date=' my first cruise and his 15th. It could not have been more perfect. It was very romantic and special. We were married this past Saturday and can't wait for our "honeymoon cruise" on March 19th aboard the Caribbean Princess.[/quote']

Congratulations Brenda and Chris!!!!!!!:D We are all so happy for you both. Have a very wonderful cruise onboard the Carribean Princess and please tell us about it when you return!

Linda

I think you should propose on the cruise and then honeymoon on a cruise also. I personally think that you should hold off on telling anyone about the engagement until you get off the boat. I got engaged 3 years ago and it seems the second you tell people you are getting married, then they want to know the when/where/how of the wedding details. I think you should take the week to enjoy each other and your engagement before the craziness of the wedding planning takes over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My DH couldn`t wait to propose (ring paranoia, irrational fear I would say no etc.)

I would suggest the following.

1) Balcony-Sunset

2)Strawberries and champagne

3) Flowers- rose petals on the bed (wink!)

4) Phone/email access- what girl with a big diamond ring doesn`t want to call her Mom and all her friends after!

Good luck! Stay calm, she`ll never forget it!

I think being proposed to on a cruise would be very romantic! And as a newlywed I can say that I wouldn't have preferred a cruise wedding or HM, but that's different stokes for different folks... the best decision is to get a "yes" and then start planning together. See where it takes you, maybe back on a cruise to celebrate your nuptials! :D

Something fun my DH and I did right after his proposal was intentionally not call family/friends until the next day. We really enjoyed having a night where it was our little secret. I still remember the giddy feeling it gave us both!

I was proposed on a cruise ship this past November, ...it was the only formal night on the 4 day cruise out of Long Beach. My soon to be proposed during formal portraits, the backdrop was set up on the bottom of the atrium..the black and white ones. The photographer turned me around so that my back was against his chest. When he did this, my now fiance, ...took the ring out of his pocket and swiveled my chair back to him and he was already down on one knee and he asked me. I cried like a baby, ..everyone was cheering on all the levels, and of course I said yes!!! The best part was that the photographer took pictures of the entire event and I have the whole proposal in gorgeous photographs in unison from when he asked, until I said yes. We bought them all, and it was nice for us to bask in our own glow for a couple of days and then we had the photos to share with family and friends. :)

• 1 month later...
The best part was that the photographer took pictures of the entire event and I have the whole proposal in gorgeous photographs in unison from when he asked, until I said yes. We bought them all, and it was nice for us to bask in our own glow for a couple of days and then we had the photos to share with family and friends. :)

We want to see the photos!!

Last year when we were waiting to board the Diamond, a bride, groom and large bridal party and family boarded the ship early (before anyone else) and the two married in the wedding chapel. Then those not going on the cruise departed the ship. Kinda cool. Sort of a best of both worlds thing. The wedding chapels are nice and intimate. My wife and I had a renewal of vows and it was perfect.

I agree with the propose and honeymoon people.

BUT - if you are going to do the ring somewhere dangerous like snorkeling, make sure you have the ring attached to you physically so it can't sink and get lost. :eek:

to follow on the snorkelling/dangerously near edge of railing, etc.....INSURE the thing the minute you get it home. Just a tip.

As for the wedding/proposal/HM question...............

I am getting MARRIED onboard before we sail in 12 days. We have approx 30 guests, some leaving before we sail. We are excited. That said, we are also leaving many family and friends behind, which has been a trade off. I'd stick with the proposal for this trip and ponder the wedding/honeymoon question for after she says yes. She may want it too, but best to ask, I think. :-)

I asked my wife to marry me while viewing the sunset on the last day of the Millennium. 12/31/99. We were all dressed up for the biggest New Years Eve ever, and just before leaving the cabin, although there was a lot of cloud cover, I took her to the "window" told her that the sun was setting behind the clouds, proposed, and she said yes.

Then we quickly left the cabin for a more public area, as we were both about to start to cry. I announced this to our traveling companions at dinner by toasting her, and the fact that she said yes.

In 4 days we celebrate our 5th anniversary, and then later this month we will return to the site of our honeymoon (Disney world). And then in July, its North to Alaska.

(And it's been the best 5 years of my life. 5 down and a lifetime to go). :)

Soooo funny that this thread is posted. I am planning on getting engaged on the Carribean Princess this summer. Princess offers a special verandah dinner package for $50 a person (you must have a balcony room). It includes drinks, and a full seven course surf and turf dinner, with a waiter in your stateroom. How cool is that? They'll even make arrangments to assist you with the surprise element, i.e., a tour of the helm or drinks with the captain... and when you return the room is decorated and the table is set. Now that's something special. I think I'll wait till just before dessert, because I am going to want to enjoy the meal before the screaming begins. Some people on this thread do make a good point about the telephone call situation. I am going to be on the Western Carribean itinerary and I have sprint for my cell and verizon for my blackberry/cell. Anybody know if you can get service on this itinerary.

Although I love the idea of the balcony dinner and proposal, it may make sense to ask the night before the cruise, that way the cruise itself is like a honeymoon. :)

As far as your poll is concerned, we have joked around about doing a second cruise for the honeymoon. I think I would pick a european itinerary, since neither of us have been there yet. I have only cruised the carribean (Celebrity 3 times, Norwegian 2 times and RCCL 1x).

In any case, she's going to be thrilled no matter what!!!!!

As far as your poll is concerned, we have joked around about doing a second cruise for the honeymoon. I think I would pick a european itinerary, since neither of us have been there yet. I have only cruised the carribean (Celebrity 3 times, Norwegian 2 times and RCCL 1x).

That is exactly our scenario! I proposed as we sailed out of NYC past the SOL on the NCL Dawn last Halloween (her favorite holiday). The Baltics are calling this September. Congrats to you and your-soon-to be Mrs.!

On my last cruise, one man arranged with the cruise director for his girlfriend to "win" a bottle of champagne they were raffling off. At the show that evening, they drew her name and called her up to the stage. Then the CD called for her assistant to bring the bottle from backstage. It was the man, who got down on his knees and proposed. Apparently, her parents (and several members of both families) were there as well and got to see the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Your poll question said "If you've NEVER".... so I didn't vote in the actual poll.

> :D

I guess I should have said "I you had never been on a cruise", in other words put yourself in my girlfriend's shoes. Please feel free to vote. I appeciate all of the great suggestions.

I am thinking about a short cruise (3 days) to propose, and to see if she shares my passion for cruising. Then a trip to the Southern Carribean on the Golden or the Sun for a honeymoon.

Archived