Anyone sailed from NOLA the first part of Jan?

LadyJ2318

Hello DH and I are considering taking the 7 night sailing on the Spirit from NOLA departing on January 2, 2011. I was just wondering if anyone had experience sailing at this time. Were there a lot of children on board? I was thinking that most schools go back right around that time so there shouldn't be tons of children but wasn't sure. Would love to hear from anyone with experience!

We were on the Jan. 17th sailing. It was cold in NO before we left but not so cold we couldn't walk around. It warmed up right away our first day out. We went to the beach Cozumel. Not a lot of children on the ship. We had a great time. Enjoy your cruise.

I was also on the January 3rd sailing this year on the Spirit. I agree with the previous poster that there were kids present, but they weren't in abundance. Here's a big tip for you, pack warm clothes! We definetely did not bring proper New Orleans clothes for the day and half that we spent there pre-cruise (we are from California so it was 70 degrees at home!). It was clear skys while we were there, but it was very cold and windy. The cruise itself was also very cool. Both sea days were too cold and windy to spend any time on deck (in fact we never wore our bathing suits once), and we only had one day of sun during our port stops. It rained all day in Belize, and half day in Guatemala. Despite all this, it was still an enjoyable and relaxful cruise. But if you are looking for sun and warmth, you may not get it.

We are sailing on the Dawn in 3 weeks to the Southern Caribbean, and I am definetely expecting to live in my swim suit for this one. :D

That week is on the shoulder, if you will. Some schools are still out. Others start back right after new years. All in all,I would not think there are too many kids, but a week later would be almost zero kids for sure.

I live in New Orleans and that week was our coldest week in 14 years. It is not normally nearly that cold. I cruised the next week and it was nice and warm the whole trip. No school kids should be on that trip unless they are skipping school.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not totally opposed to kids just don't want to be overwhelmed with them. I think spending my birthday on a cruise outweighs a few kids here and there! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be like a Christmas or spring break cruise.

Archived